Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Best Deals on Coats?

Last post Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:14 PM by Bernie. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 23 2012 8:27 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Best Deals on Coats?

Where do you find the best prices on jackets and coats?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Nov 23 2012 11:08 PM In reply to

Re: Best Deals on Coats?

When I had a bussines going I had to get dress coats so when I use to get them at macy's but now I get them at the thrift shop but when I do go someplace there is a coat I got at burlington coat factory when they had to get them on sale to get rid of the over stock I got one for about 60.00 dollars it was $160.00 that was two years ago I still have it sometimes I keep coats for over ten year and still wear them I know Im to cheap.Confused

Cindy ---
  • Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:29 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I buy my coats, my husband's and my son's at the thrift store. I have gotten my daughter some at discount stores like Ross.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:44 PM In reply to

I have bought my share of coats for the kids from thrift stores. My best ever deal though was a top quality wool dress coat from Land's End that I bought in 1989 for $60 and I am still wearing it! Can't beat that!

SS

• Sat, Nov 24 2012 2:03 PM In reply to

Stranger From The Sea:

I have bought my share of coats for the kids from thrift stores. My best ever deal though was a top quality wool dress coat from Land's End that I bought in 1989 and I am still wearing it! Can't beat that!  Stick out tongue

SS

S.S You tight wad you,  I do the same thing my coat is thirty years old I still wear it and it came from a thrift store and its london fog brand .. lol

chrissanne
  • Mon, Nov 26 2012 3:01 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

I had wanted a black wool coat, kind of like a navy pea-coat, for quite some time. By being very patient, I was finally able to find one in great condition at a garage sale. For ONE DOLLAR.

This was probably my greatest frugal find, ever. I usually look for coats at the thrift shops and most of the time I just have to make do with something I'm not wild about. I figure -- it's there to keep you warm, not necessarily to be the most stylish thing ever. 

• Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:14 PM In reply to

Depending on what you are looking for, if it's a something nice, you might be able to find a good deal at Macy's sales. You can sometimes find a 40 to 50% discount and use a coupon on top of that, which will give you another 10 to 15% discount. Burlington Coat Factory also has discounted coats, which I have found need dry cleaning, so look for a low cost dry cleaners so as not to add to the cost of the coat. Old Navy also has deeply discounted coats at the end of the season if you can wait that long. I found a trench coat there a few years ago for $7.00. I've also found that if you let other people know what you are looking for sometimes someone will come up with what you need from their own discards, it might be something you like.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us