Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Where did you learn to be frugal?

Last post Thu, Nov 22 2012 10:52 AM by Walt34. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:24 PM

Where did you learn to be frugal?

Where/how did you learn to be frugal? Did someone teach you or did you learn on your own? maybe both? How frugal were you before coming to Stretcher? How have things changed for you since?
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Nov 17 2012 9:00 PM In reply to

Re: Where did you learn to be frugal?

BargainBinge:
    Where/how did you learn to be frugal? Did someone teach you or did you learn on your own? maybe both? How frugal were you before coming to Stretcher? How have things changed for you since?
    I learned to be frugal from my mom while growing up. She had to raise us kids by herself after my parents divored and dad didn't pay child support on time. I became even more frugal after I had kids of my own and wanted to stay home with them instead of going back to work. I was pretty frugal before coming to the Stretcher so I don't think things have changed much. I enjoy trading ideas with like minded people, it helps to keep me on track.
    Riley
  • Sat, Nov 17 2012 9:11 PM In reply to

I found Stretcher in the midst of trying to make some serious life changes with spending., better budgeting and being more resourceful. I can honestly say that within the last 2 years (Thanksgiving is my 2 year anniversary here!) I have been on these forums I have learned so much and made so many positive changes. I was not frugal before I came here so you all basically have been my teachers and mentors. I have made some nice friends - made some laugh, made some cry , made some question... and bugged the living heck out of many for that I am sure but still truckin' it like the good ole' BB on board. Thank you all. I am very grateful!
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Nov 18 2012 11:45 AM In reply to

Dear Bargain Binge & Forumites, I subscribed to THE TIGHTWAD GAZETTE by Amy Dacyczyn, "the Frugal Zealot," almost from the inception of that newsletter. I guess I read about its existence -- maybe in the newspaper supplement, PARADE MAGAZINE? BUT I took it simply as a fun read, did NOT change my ways as an attorney because of it. Fast forward to my disability. THEN I had to reform; I had no choice w the severe reduction in icncome .... **8 I joined this Forum in 4/07 so far as the legend by my name says. Because of my brain injury, my memory is porous. I have essentially no short-term memory & my intermediate-term (like 5 yrs ago, like this) memory doesn't work until questions percolate through my brain. Thus, I cannotsay how I heard of /THE DOLLAR STRETCHER & this Frorum .... *** If I had to pick one area of frugaility that I've learned the most abbout 7& changed my waysabout from this Forum, it's the importance of food storage & prepping. Love in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sun, Nov 18 2012 2:19 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I was born in to it remember as a child all the things all of do  remember the grease can on the stove the bucket were they put scrapes of food for soup ..

Remember going to yard sales with my Aunts and them buying me clothes .. 

how we made things   I learned to make cheese before I was 10  and I could cook  almost everything .. .never got the hung of possum

I also knew we had money ... when we wre in Michigan  we went to the grocery store but on Thursday we made a grocery list and we checked our coupons .. 

so I knew we were carefull with momey and but it was several years before I  called my self Furgal  it fit prefect  we were frugal and didnt know that

but  I   knew what Frugal ment when we married then when the Children came I  realized I was blessed because I knew what to do .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Nov 18 2012 4:24 PM In reply to

I can't remember ever being non-frugal.  My Mom stayed at home and raised 6 kids.  Dad did duct work installation but had a lot of lay-offs when winter hit.  When he was working my parents stocked a pantry located under the steps going to the basement, plus they kept the freezer full and had a small garden in their little suburban yard.  As the oldest I was conscious of money being tight.  I got a new dress each Easter but wore a lot of hand-me-downs from daughters of my parents' friends, which then passed down to my sisters.  We ate lots of pasta and soup, hot dogs and hamburgers, etc.  We hardly ever took vacations.  Our big excitement in the summer was a Sunday drive out to the country and then stopping at the frozen custard stand.  I positioned myself in the car next to the youngest who could never finish his cone, so I would.  Found the Dollar Stretcher in its early days as a newly single parent when I was looking for frugal websites. 

Ellen B.
  • Mon, Nov 19 2012 2:38 PM In reply to

family tradition mom was poor and so was dad and their families. Just dad did not want to live on welfare and neighther did mom they work two jobs and paid a house off in 10 years now is that cool or what I learned as a kid to be frugal had no choice have two nickles to rub together so the family tradition to be poor no brother and his wife upper middle class and middle sister got back on her feet from cancer and yooungest sister works two jobs and me I happen to have had one hell of a car wreck I did not bounce back from that so guess Im poor but I got a roof over my head hate it,.  But Im 6 feet above ground sorry devil you did not get me this time so when I got better after two years of learning to read and write again it was to hard but I did it and if I can do it as slow as I am you can do anything,

But some people think Im nuts blame my wreck for that and they think Im stupid nope beat that just the brain don't work as fast a working person does and they have to use spell check for email I donnot.   So if I can pay off debt and  my condition and get out of bankruptecy which I did not file,  It took me 15 years to everyone back so  much for being dum aye... Im no longer poor rich in spirit and 6 feet above ground sucking air yup Im rich.

Cindy ---
  • Mon, Nov 19 2012 3:55 PM In reply to

So sorry cheapskate for all you have gone through. God bless you. Christine
  • Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:03 PM In reply to

Tussiemussies:
    So sorry cheapskate for all you have gone through. God bless you. Christine

Hi tussie she cheap has been threw aalot in those years she came a long way but for my older sister she is a keeper I have to keep her or she take my babies away from me and keep them for herself meaning I have three dogs one is totally in love with her the beagle is like her buddy and her dogs buddy she has two doxies and I have one more and wow what a zoo five dogs thats her. Plus Im the youngest she kill me if I blow it here...lol   chissanne

chrissanne
  • Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:13 AM In reply to

Dear Cindy Cheapskate, Let me lift up my voice in consonence w Tussiemussies to say that you are a real trooper, & you deserve Heaven if there is a place reserved f people whohave been hurt so in their sojurn here on Earth .... Love in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us