Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Holidays for Singles and Couples

Last post Tue, Nov 26 2013 12:19 PM by Maggie Trudeau. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 15 2012 3:08 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Holidays for Singles and Couples

Holidays are geared for huge meals but not everyone is planning a grand banquet for guests. What are some frugal ways a couple or single person can enjoy a little festive food without the crowd?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:17 PM In reply to

Re: Holidays for Singles and Couples

I work with the crowd this year cindy stays home away from everything and I waitress that day so cindy gets a diet coke and sits with my brother sil and their dd and mom and dad.
    chrissanne
  • Sat, Nov 17 2012 7:37 AM In reply to

I'm not sure how this year will go.  I'm on the outs with my children and was hoping things could be solved by now, but I just don't know.

Thanksgiving will be spent at home.  I've had some invites from friends but my heart wants to be with my family so it would be difficult.  I'm going to make some of my dad's holiday mushrooms, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole and call it a meal. 

I'm forever optimistic, so I'll go ahead and plan as if we'll all be together for Christmas.  Time will tell.  I'll bake cookies and make candy to give away and have on hand for any visitors. My tree will go up, maybe on Thanksgiving, and I'll put up some lights. 

It's going to be a good holiday season!

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:58 AM In reply to

Volunteer.

Get together with friends.

Be daring, try meet.up for holiday get together groups!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Nov 17 2012 11:27 AM In reply to

Grannie_Sue:

I'm not sure how this year will go.  I'm on the outs with my children and was hoping things could be solved by now, but I just don't know.

Thanksgiving will be spent at home.  I've had some invites from friends but my heart wants to be with my family so it would be difficult.  I'm going to make some of my dad's holiday mushrooms, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole and call it a meal. 

I'm forever optimistic, so I'll go ahead and plan as if we'll all be together for Christmas.  Time will tell.  I'll bake cookies and make candy to give away and have on hand for any visitors. My tree will go up, maybe on Thanksgiving, and I'll put up some lights. 

It's going to be a good holiday season!

Susan, I like your optimistic attitude. I hope you and your children resolve your differences before the holidays get here. Right Hug

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Sat, Nov 17 2012 6:12 PM In reply to

Stick out tongue [:P] Re: Holidays for Singles and Couples

My idea of a festive meal is cornbread stuffing and cranberries( canned are good). If you don't want to cook a turkey a chicken is good, you can even buy one already roasted from the grocery store. The leftovers are great, you can have several meals from it. Since I rarely have desert, chocolate chip cookies or a store bought pumpkin pie is a special treat, since it is a holiday, I don't limit myself on the desert for that day.
  • Tue, Nov 20 2012 8:10 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 4 2008
    • Posts 993

You can buy a small turkey. At 10 pounds they aren't much bigger than a large chicken, and right now around here Meijer has buy $20 of other items and get $10 off a 10 pound turkey, so you can get them for a little over $5, I think. You can freeze the leftovers. Cornish hens might also be fun. Aldi has had tiny ones in the past that would be great for one person. Today I saw some large ones at Meijer. I like the rotisserie (sp?) chicken idea too if you don't want to mess with cooking. A can of cranberry sauce, a box of stuffing and a can of sweet potatoes are all inexpensive, easy and festive. Pull out your prettiest plates, light some candles and put on some nice music and be thankful for peace and quiet. :-) Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
    "...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:02 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Grannie_Sue:
    I'm on the outs with my children and was hoping things could be solved by now, but I just don't know.

I wish you resolution then.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Nov 21 2012 8:48 AM In reply to

Mimi:
    Cornish hens might also be fun. Aldi has had tiny ones in the past that would be great for one person.

DH & I had a Cornish hen our first Thanksgiving together because we couldn't afford a turkey, so it is a happy memory for us to do that.

This year I am cooking a turkey from the freezer, because I need to put up bottled turkey, but none of the children can come, so if I didn't need the bottled turkey, we would do a Cornish hen.

• Wed, Nov 21 2012 9:13 AM In reply to

Cornish game hens are a great idea, I see others beat me to the chase to mention it! I also recommend the personal romantic setting idea, making it special. My first suggestion though is volunteering. It is the most rewarding experience on Thanksgiving. Go help those in need, be useful and grateful! You won't be alone either!

If volunteering can't happen though and one is literally alone on Thanksgiving I recommend doing whatever they can to make the day more enjoyable... cook a nice small meal or splurge and order a little take out, cuddle up on the couch with a warm blankie and have a movie night. Take it as an extra "me" day out of the year. Ps.  A lot of folks go to Chinese places on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Most are open all day for lunch or dinner - go early and get the lunch specials. They are cheaper and some last two meals. Get one to go to reheat for dinner.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us