Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Rising Grocery Prices in November?

Last post Sat, Dec 15 2012 1:53 PM by cheapskate50. 46 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 10:58 PM

Rising Grocery Prices in November?

Has anyone else noticed an INCREASE in grocery prices this month? I don't get it, sale one week and the next I'm seeing things .50, $1, $2 more than they were last week at the same store. What on earth is going on? Is anyone else noticing this? Earlier I was shopping, some prices were really upsetting. Times like this make you really VALUE sales... a sale isn't just a sale anymore it's a gift!!!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Nov 15 2012 2:18 AM In reply to

Re: Rising Grocery Prices in November?

Bb, do you remember, last summer when the drought was going on, several of us suggested that food prices would increase drastically when what was in the warehouses, and cold storage was rotated out and the new crops were being phased in?  Well it is starting to happen, a little sooner than I expected.  I estimated January, so was off by 2 months. 

• Thu, Nov 15 2012 10:20 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

It is going to be a winter of making choices for some people for which food to buy. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Thu, Nov 15 2012 10:28 AM In reply to

So far I haven't noticed a huge rise in grocery prices at the commissary, with a few exceptions (hamburger is outrageous, and chicken has definitely gone up from the summer's low-ish prices), but I have noticed a rise in health and beauty aid items. DS likes to use Colgate toothpaste instead of Pepsodent, so I was going to pick up a tube for him if it was reasonably priced. It wasn't. It was almost $3, as opposed to the $2.29 it usually is (and I usually have a $1 coupon to add to that, which I didn't have this time!), so I left it on the shelf and told DS he'd have to stick with the 79 cent tube of Pepsodent unless he wants to make a Target run and buy the Colgate himself. I noticed he's using the Pepsodent. LOL Other HBA items have gone up, too--disposable razors, shampoo--and household stuff, like cleaners, seem to have jumped by ten to twenty percent. They're probably still a bit cheaper than buying elsewhere than the commissary, but not by much. Fortunately, I've got a pretty big stockpile on most of the basics from sales w/coupons, but if these higher prices last for awhile, I'll be paying them before too long. :(
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Thu, Nov 15 2012 2:43 PM In reply to

Yes I have so noticed the increase. We are just getting bread and milk this week.  I have enough food in the pantry and freezer to last until the end of next week.  Hopefully there will be some after Thanksgiving sales.

re-tired 

• Thu, Nov 15 2012 3:28 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

We priced hiked a few months ago. What I am seeing besides the higher prices is lack of sales.

The grocery stores here have gone from sale papers with multiple pages to two. One store even offers only a single page frequently. Produce and meat are more rare on mark down. What was one seen as mark down quality is still full price in the bins.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Nov 15 2012 3:57 PM In reply to

I'm pretty much stocked up. I have been anticipating higher prices for a while. I will buy some Thanksgiving losing leaders and take advantage of some coupons. Other than that, I'll stick to the basics this week and next. I have found that most supermarkets know that people will loosen their belt for the holidays and spend more on luxury items. Therefore, I try to get what I need ahead of time and buy the sale items the week of the holidays, but not much else. It's a good time to look for sales on sugars, flours, nuts, chocolate chips, baking powder, and other baking staples.

• Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:36 PM In reply to

Aldi's prices have been pretty much the same with seasonal mark downs on butter, cheese, some canned vegs.  .  DH and I did a quick stop at another grocery store this afternoon on our way home from the pharmacy.  I had a bunch of coupons to combine with sale prices but they still were no deal so only picked up some cream cheese (on sale) which was the main purpose of the stop anyway.  I noticed for the first time that the canned cranberry sauce at both stores was only 14 oz.  I can't remember what the price was last year but the cans sure do look smaller. 

Ellen B.
  • Thu, Nov 15 2012 5:05 PM In reply to

Brandy: Not only fewer sales but it is interesting to see what IS on sale...not so much the quality foods etc. but things like paper products, liters of soda...things I buy very little of!
  • Thu, Nov 15 2012 5:07 PM In reply to

Our Aldi's had eggs for l.49 dz., our Quik Star had them for .99
Page 1 of 5 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us