Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cleaning glass shower doors

Last post Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:46 PM by TizzyLizzy. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:12 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cleaning glass shower doors

A reader asks about cleaning glass shower doors. Which homemade cleaners have worked for you on glass shower doors?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under:
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:16 AM In reply to

Re: Cleaning glass shower doors

I can't wait to see the answers on this one.  I think I've tried everything and the only thing that works is Lime Away - but it stinks. 

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 11:30 AM In reply to

We have found that spraying them down everyday with shower sprays especially made for this purpose keeps the doors very clean. They are not natural though. Has anyone tried vinegar to spray them down and squeegee them every shower? :) Christine
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 1:22 PM In reply to

I read a tip somewhere recently (???), suggesting to use dishwasher detergent - the liquid kind - to remove soap/scum build-up on glass shower doors. I can't vouch for it as I have never tried - but worth a try.

SS

• Fri, Nov 16 2012 12:18 PM In reply to

I fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and add 2 tsp of Dawn dish detergent.  Spray the shower walls and door when they are dry and everything comes off with a wet cloth after it sits for a while.  

• Fri, Nov 16 2012 1:26 PM In reply to

I use Scrubbing Bubbles, regular scent. The lemon scent stinks. Spray it on the doors, then scrub with a triangular-shaped scrubber with attached handle (can't think of the brand name) and it comes right off. The head on the scrubber is like a blue ScotchBrite pad.

Jill

• Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:14 PM In reply to

Scrubbing Bubbles is a great cleaner. We had a grime ring on the floor of our shower that not a thing would take it off. I sprayed the Scrubbing Bubbles meant to be used as a daily spray for the shower doors and let it sit overnight. Had to do it a few times, but the ring is finally gone! So glad! It also gets everything off the shower doors, soap scum etc. if used after every shower, but it is not natural...
  • Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:27 PM In reply to

• Charley
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 17 2012
    • Posts 1

The way I have cleaned glass shower doors is by removing the doors and then taking them outside, place them on bucks and brush on muratic acid then rinse them off with the garden hose. They will be clean as new with absolutely no scrubbing. This is potent stuff and will burn you if you are not careful. I am not advising anyone to do this, but this is the way I have cleaned them several times.
  • Sat, Nov 17 2012 11:22 AM In reply to

I dont have shower doors where I live now, but I used to use soft scrub on them. I would spray generously, wipe it around all over and let it sit while I clean something else, then scrub and rinse.

If it's hard water stains, vinegar is what works. I didn't have hard water when I had shower doors, but do now, and I have to soak my shower heads in vinegar once every year or two, which completely dissolves the hard water deposits, so I'm thinking if it is hard water deposits staining shower doors, remove them, lay them flat and let vinegar sit on them a good long while. Maybe in a garage or driveway.

• Sat, Nov 17 2012 1:13 PM In reply to

I use lemon ammonia cut half and half with water. We have mineral water here, and this cuts the deposits on glass and tile.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us