Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Basic Back Ups & Substitution Solutions!

Last post Thu, Dec 6 2012 9:22 AM by Juneflower. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 7:15 AM

Basic Back Ups & Substitution Solutions!

Brandy recently posted a thread with an article on a school food fight that resulted in punishment of restriction of school lunches for 1 week. She approached the question, what if parents were not prepared to provide lunches that week? what would they do? how could they make it work? and what if "basic" such as lunch containers/supplies were not on hand or availabe - what could the parents use at home to replace these things?

It got me thinking about how we have all been in a position where a basic material item was needed but we were not able to access it... maybe we could not afford it... did not have ways of getting it... etc. - In that case, what do you do? You do what you have to, you find a substitution solution. You know, something that isn't quite the basic or usual but still works as a replacement and does the trick so to say!

Think about it now.

You're out in the rain and your umbrella breaks. You do not have the funds to get a new one right then. What did you use instead? Your kid comes home with a ripped back pack that can't be used. You have no time to go buy them a new one before tomorrow. What did you use instead? You lost your purse and do not have a back up. What did you use instead? Your hair dryer busted. You are running late and refuse to leave the house with wet hair. What did you use instead? Think of these sorts of situations. They are unexpected and unplanned situations that folks are not always prepared for. Sometimes you must think fast to figure out a helpful solution. The situations like this you have been put in will differ from others but your answers as to how you tackled your situations may help others if they ever get stuck in similar ones.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 2:16 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Re: Basic Back Ups & Substitution Solutions!

Helmet liner for biking in the rain = substitute a plastic grocery bag.

Boot liners for very wet snowy days = substitute a plastic grocery bag or a bread bag.

Clips to keep loose pant legs out of the bike chain = substitute a fat rubber band that came off of a bunch of broccoli or asparagus.

Lunch containers -- re-used bread bags, re-used margarine or sour cream tubs, etc.

Wax paper -- re-used liners from cereal and cracker boxes.

Paper towel for draining greasy bacon -- use junk mail instead.

Hand soap -- use a tiny drip of dish soap.

Tarps for camping or for protection when painting the house -- old mildewy shower curtains.

"Extender" for pants that are just a little too small --  rubber band through the button hole and then around the button. When you have to do this, it's time to start watching what you're eating.

Almost everybody seems to have a bunch of cloth tote bags (from the credit union, from the grocery store, from the library...), which can be used in a pinch instead of a backpack or a purse.

I'm sure I'll think of more! Looking forward to reading what others have done.

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 12:35 PM In reply to

Upholstery needle, blanket thread, and duct tape on the backpack. Black garbage bag cape instead of umbrella. Pizza pan/ cookie sheet/glossy box instead of broken sled. Thread spool for temp drawer knob or pot lid knob. Duct tape and piece of coathanger on lamp shades. Piece of coat hanger to fish dropped objects out of sink drains. Piece of rubber band or innertube to replace earring back. Innertube and duct tape for lightning jar ring(not in the canner, please). Small caribiner to replace belt loop on ankle weights. Twist tie or clip hair roller for earphone cord retractor. Fan for blow-dryer. Matteess and box spring to press clothes when iron dies. The nylon stocking fan belt replacement is well known, but nylons and a winding stick will sub for a C-clamp or furniture clamp in many cases. Coin for a flat head screwdriver. Plastic sheet between blankets or between sheet and spread for emergency warmth when heater breaks down/runs out of fuel. Vitamin C pills for Fruit Fresh.
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 2:40 PM In reply to

Little Pitcher I can not help but laugh. That is brilliant... the entire list is really but made me chuckle. I remember sporting ninja turtle sleds in the rain down muddy hills as a kid on football Sunday... for indoors we used trash bags to slide down a LONG flight of stairs... your ghetto-sled-cookie sheet style made me bust out. I'd do it as an adult. Crap, I think you would be fun to get into adventure and riot with. I really like your comments. I look for them from time to time on random posts to see if you answered a post and how you answered... your answers are always... well... from swamps to sleds. I surrendor in chuckles.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:36 PM In reply to

Bring on the bad!  During the 20" snow of 1992, I tried hard to get out so I could sled Chattanooga's East Manning Street, about an 89" angle to sea level.  Couldn't get down my icy front steps, darn it.  We used to love sledding down grassy slopes on cardboard boxes.  I tend to stick to political mischief these days, very much on the QT so my cousin/boss, a Southern diehard Confederate, never finds out. 
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 8:03 PM In reply to

Little, most random question... how do you wear your hair?
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 9:22 AM In reply to

Long and tied back. Keeps it out of my eyes while I'm working, far better than a short do, and it's low-maintenance.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us