Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What Goes Into Your Child's Education?

Last post 11-17-2012 10:38 AM by MarthaMFI. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-07-2012 12:08 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

What Goes Into Your Child's Education?

The discussion on liberal arts had me looking it up to see what exactly is a liberal arts education. I have never considered our homeschool to be that and certainly don't see aspects of that in the local schools but our homeschool does share some roots with the liberal arts approach.

Does your method or your child's school include a focus on grammar, logic and rhetoric? Arithmetic (including more advanced math like Geometry?), music, art, astronomy?History, languages, literature, philosophy, psychology, religious studies, science and drama/theatre?

What do you think are the core studies or focuses for your child's education?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 11-09-2012 6:27 AM In reply to

Re: What Goes Into Your Child's Education?

Our schools are mainly based on theories of class subjects and also not even we pay attention to practical.

It is essential for a student to go through art, music and astronomy acccording to their interests but have to time to give attention.

• 11-09-2012 8:29 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

ggicollegepunjab:
    It is essential for a student to go through art, music and astronomy

Why do you think it's important?

• 11-12-2012 8:04 PM In reply to

Our boys attend Montessori schools. Montessori education has a strong emphasis on independence, practical living, and social responsibility for children, although the Montessori materials also provide for very rich development in language, mathematics, and what Montessori called "the cultural arts" (which encompasses science, art, music, geography, and history). We chose Montessori because the emphasis on independence, self-regulation, and strong social relationships is what our autistic son needed. However, we also saw what sensitive, caring little people our older son's classmates are becoming, and decided it was a good fit for our younger son as well.
  • 11-13-2012 12:35 AM In reply to

We focus on all things science, socials, art, music, life skills, the 3'rs...  I believe in a good grounding in the basics.  I am lucky that I have a lot going around me that we can do.    The homelearners program covers art/music and frankly they do art lots of places. they go 2x a week for a couple of months.  

We have to follow our province's curriculum and cover what is needed.  all new to us but nice that everything we do counts!   kids are not happy about doing work at home yet but working on it. We have been busy with a mix of school/free and paid classes.   I don't know if I am covering all things yet but will figure it out.   kids did an archeoglical dig program at the museum, saw the native basket exhibit there so two things covered. doing a native celestial series course, dd made a short film at the library at the tween program,  friday we are doing a homelearners program at the aquarium just to name a few things.

I haven't had the kids enrolled in any music lessons yet. don't know yet.  The kids are going back to the more creative free beings they when they were younger and not in school fulltime.

I know I want the kids to learn things not really taught at much when older like latin, greek roots of words plus more.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 11-15-2012 7:20 AM In reply to

Because ar, music and related things relax both mind and brain and also help a student to be creative everytime.

• 11-15-2012 8:52 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Our homeschool has a classical approach. We focus heavily on history, math and reading. I lightly set our stages to the grammar, logic and rhetoric phases of learning.

Science, Latin, grammar, literature, philosophy, religion, culture and people are also things we study regularly. Music and art are things we look at as part of our cultures but are not as important in our schooling.

• 11-15-2012 12:13 PM In reply to

Music and art is important. My kids do art at the homelearners plus a community centre program, in general at home, library programs and other programs we do..lot of the native stuff we have done has been art like making masks, wire sculpture and this weekend dreamcatchers.

We are still figuring it all out esp since the kids are not happy about doing work at home from mom.

Brandy when did you do latin, religion etc with the kids ? starting when?

• 11-15-2012 3:32 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

MarthaMFI:
    Brandy when did you do latin, religion etc with the kids ? starting when?

Religion and spirituality are life lessons that begin when the children are born but studies into these begin when I begin structured education so around the age of 6.

I prefer to begin Latin after they are reading and writing.

• 11-16-2012 1:18 AM In reply to

I don't remember doing latin in school and either does dh but remember being taught about the latin and greek roots of words in high school. 

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us