Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What Fruits and Vegetables Do You Freeze?

Last post Tue, Nov 20 2012 2:19 PM by babs. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:12 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

What Fruits and Vegetables Do You Freeze?

Some of us may find canning or dehydrating more expensive or too overwhelming to do but we can freeze foods or buy shelf stable canned goods.

What produce do you freeze and what are your methods to keep the food fresh for use?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:42 AM In reply to

Re: What Fruits and Vegetables Do You Freeze?

I generally do not freeze our fresh fruits and vegetables because I buy (or pick as I grown) and use them fresh. I can productively so this because I am constantly restocking to ensure a variety and no waste. If I did not have this kind of access I would be freezing a ton more as I don't can/jar. With that being said, I am not an expert freezer but do have a method that works for us... In the event where I have reason to freeze fresh produce I will prep it and put it in freezer safe tupperware or bags. label it and send it off to the freezer. I have found certain things do not hold us so well during the defrost process so they are used in soups/stews or dishes where they do not need their natural texture/shape respected. One thing I do not freeze is lettuce and specific salad greens. Otherwise everything else pretty much works well to freeze, the challenge is how to work with them after they are defrosted and altered - this is why soups, stews, sauces, purees, dips, reslishes, cutneys, etc. are so forgiving. Please do not let a mushy mushroom discourage you folks, love it and make a yummy mushroom soup... mushroom pasta sauce/ragu... creamy chicken and mushroom pot pie... ETC with it! That goes for all the little challengers!

Great post and topic Brandy.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:47 AM In reply to

Note to self and others: This post reminds me to start doing veggie scrap bags again for the freezer and later veggie broths. I have not been good about that since I moved. Time to start again!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:17 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I freeze any kind of berry, peaches, apple slices for pies. Veggies are peas, brocolli, calulifour. Tomatotes if there is no time to can. Then i will thaw them and can later. I try to can a lot because of loss in power outages. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Nov 7 2012 8:20 PM In reply to

Gosh ... onions, bell peppers, green beans, corn on the cob, pumpkin, tomatoes, carrots. 

I tried celery, but it really didn't hold up very well ...  Mushrooms weren't too great, either.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Nov 7 2012 8:35 PM In reply to

What *don't* I freeze? If I find a good deal on carrots and have room in the freezer, I cut up, blanch, and freeze carrots. Same if I find a good deal on broccoli. Produce that comes into the house through the CSA gets prepped and frozen, unless it's something like lettuce or potatoes. Apples get made into either applesauce or apple pie filling and frozen. Lemons are juiced and frozen. Veggie scraps are all saved in a bag in the freezer for simmering with bones to make stock. Sometimes apple cores and peels are saved in a bag in the freezer for simmering into juice to make jelly.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Thu, Nov 8 2012 12:22 AM In reply to

Wolf, celery and mushrooms, etc. will do great in soups and such. See my comment for other suggestions but I think the important thing to consider is if we have something fresh - use it and if you can't find a way to preserve it and prevent no waste. The challenge with things like celery and mushroom isn't the act of freezing, it's the act of how to use them after due to how they react and alter when frozen. There are many ways to use them still once frozen. Start a list of ways to use "don't hold up so well" produce so you are always prepared and have your options out in front of you and open. It helps. The only ones I really prefer not to freeze are salad/lettuce greens. In that case I use up to make sure I am not stuck wasting them.

• Thu, Nov 8 2012 12:52 AM In reply to

Salad/lettuce greens can be chopped and frozen to be added to soups.  I perfer to dry them, but have frozen them in the past.

Most things have to be blanched to be frozen successfully. 

• Thu, Nov 8 2012 5:37 AM In reply to

Violet, I've never had any palette luck with lettuce in soup. I'm not talking about dark greens like kale, spinach, chard, etc... but salad greens that I find unpalettable in soups. Romaine used like cabbage isn't the same for me. Sure you can use them in soups but no luck here. In that case I do not overstock on more lettuce at once than I know I can or can't use up... What recipes are you doing for soups that have lettuce and are palettable? Romaine, butter leaf, dark leaf, green leaf... ? I don't do iceberg but some here do so include that too...

• Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:20 AM In reply to

We don't get enough of many items to warrant trying to can.  This year a neighbor gave me 5 lbs. of plums from her tree which I chopped and froze because I didn't have the time to make jam with them.  I also froze mashed figs for the first time.  I used those and most of the plums to make refrigerator jam.  (Not worth processing - DH likes to snack on jam right out of the jar.)  I dehydrated the rest of the plums yesterday to use in granola.  I freeze anything from the garden that can be cooked or reheated later on, as well as extra celery and onions.  Those go into soups and stews.  Waste not want not.

Ellen B.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us