Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

When you see a good sale, what do you do?

Last post Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:47 PM by LWolfT. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:57 AM

When you see a good sale, what do you do?

I'd like to bring a topic to attention to discuss. I think it will new members, frugal beginners and those looking for more tips on frugal living in general. I know I'd be interested in seeing how others react, think and compromise in a situation like the following:

Let's say you are at a store and notice an un-planned, un-budgeted for sale on items you use, need or want. Maybe these items are on markdown of discounted but it's a take it or leave it kind of sale where it will be gone by your next shopping trip. These are also items that can be preserved at home due to extended shelf life or freezer purposes so there won't go to waste quickly. In this sort of scenario what do you do and what determines how much you buy? what kinds of things do you take into factor and consideration when determining how much you buy? Remember, you did not budget for it but know you really need or can use it and it's a very good sale so where's your compromise?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:04 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Re: When you see a good sale, what do you do?

We budget $X every month for the Household cash envelope.  Some months all is spent, other months we don't spend it all.  We keep the unspent in the Household cash envelope exactly for the purpose above.  We still carefully consider if it truly is necessary to buy the item even at the bargain price. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:57 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    Remember, you did not budget for it but know you really need or can use it and it's a very good sale so where's your compromise?

My budget is based on what I can afford to spend. There is not much room to go over.

Being able to pick up sale items is part of my budget. I buy by the sale and menu plan from the pantry and freezer not according to what we want to eat. This allows me to take advantage of unexpected items.

If it's something that may put me overbudget; I may opt to topple into that tiny cushion for over budget spending or use my spending cash for it.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:30 AM In reply to

I actually try and shop by the "good sales" rather than set my meal plan and then go shopping.

But I have a little flexibility in my budget to allow me to purchase extra sale items, especially things we need/frequently use. I also shop in a close-to-home area so I can go back even later that day and purchase more after considering budget/cash. I feel food/groceries is the one area I personally can afford to go over budget to get sale items which will help my budget in the long-run.

Here is my additional "good sale" and timing issue: I received a 40% off coupon good for ONE DAY only for a clothing store. I could think of NOTHING we needed from that particular store/online site. (no kids clothes, only adult clothing). I hated to lose that discount but know I saved more by not buying anything.

Erika
  • Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:53 AM In reply to

I usually have enough wiggle room in my budget to take advantage of some sales.  Yesterday canned veggies, soup and pastas were on sale for 50ยข so I spent $5 extra on them.  DH is a pasta fiend!

re-tired

• Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:24 AM In reply to

• hjdeth
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 22 2011
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Posts 72

I hit just that situation several months ago.  Found markdowns on 12pk, double roll Kroger bath tissue.  Regular price:6.99, markdown:3.00.  I always have 1 on the shopping list and there were 10 on the markdown shelf.  The one on the list got us to 6.99, that left another $23 to figure out.  And with 6 people in our household there was no doubt that all 10 packages were coming home with me! 

Made the following compromises to fill the difference:  cut 2 gallons of milk a week (from 8 to 6):  $12, changed 2 dinners from chicken based to bean based and already had the beans: $6, found markdown sandwich bread: $4, and then took the extra from my spending cash.

• Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:52 AM In reply to

You all have NO IDEA HOW VALUABLE these answers are. Honestly, think about how if you came here with no frugal experience and read some of these money-mashing, super-saving answers!?! You'd be RICH in tips/advice. Please keep them coming. I especially love the wiggle room and extra cash envelope savings ideas for situations like this which are extremely unpredictable since you never know what you will find during an un-planned sale/markdown/discount/etc.

I always check the mardown/discount racks and areas of the stores I know they have them. It's always a treasure hunt. Sometimes you score big and sometimes it's a complete let down lol but if you are at the store with X amount of money and a list you need to follow it's good to know what you can do in that situation whether it's make cuts in your list so you can afford to buy some of the sale items, do a money transfer (some banks offer this via phone) from savings or wiggle room account, use the cash extra envelope like a user above mentioned, go get more money and return as soon as you can knowing the items go fast so you must too... or press your luck and leave it and look for it another time... leave it in general because it's not in budget and can't afford it this trip around... These are all good things to take into mind in these situations.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:31 AM In reply to

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2008
    • Posts 169

I buy what I think we'll use. While I set a monthly $ amount that I try to stick to, it's not a hard and fast one. Thankfully, we do not live paycheck to paycheck, so if I go over budget on groceries I'm not robbing Peter to pay Paul. I like setting a budget for food since the food budget is one where you can save a lot of money!
  • Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:42 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I always look for the deals  and sales so it is part of my budget. for example safeway has a one day sale on fridays and coffee is a really good deal so will pick that up. lucky for me,everything is close together so I can go to library, safeway bank etc by walking.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:56 AM In reply to

I try to always have some wiggle room in the budget for those unexpected sales and deals. I figure it is saving me money in the long run. I also keep about 40 bucks cash stashed in my wallet for unexpected deals  that I find when the budget is tight.

Riley
Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us