Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Help Make This Meal: Steak Fajitas

Last post 11-01-2012 11:48 PM by sissy. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-31-2012 9:42 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Help Make This Meal: Steak Fajitas

I am making steak fajitas for dinner. I am looking for some quick fix side dish ideas.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 10-31-2012 10:09 AM In reply to

Re: Help Make This Meal: Steak Fajitas

I do fajitas often and generally always include a rice side (homemade Spanish rice with veggies is good), black or pinto beans (crock pot with onions/spices or smashed side), steamed corn and yellow zucchini (they pair really well together)... sometimes a nice fresh homemade mild salsa or guacamole... and a leafy green salad is always a refreshing must have when we have spicy Mexican food. Juicy fresh fruits make great dessert, especially melons. I think it really all depends on how light or filling you want to go - beans/rice are heavier sides while veggies and salad are lighter. I think a nice homemade Spanish rice w/veggies and a green salad are a nice balance with the fajitas though. A plate with fresh cilantro, onions, radish slices, carrot slices, hot peppers and avocado slices is very welcoming as well - adjust the ingredients of the platter to your liking.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 10-31-2012 10:23 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I was considering black beans and rice. It takes awhile to cook but I am home, just busy with things that need doing. Putting a pot of beans on really doesn't take much effort.

And corn maybe with salad?

• 10-31-2012 10:32 AM In reply to

Slow cooking the beans will do it all for you. It's so easy just dump in the pot with some nice spices and chopped onion with water to fill and you are all set. If you have a rice cooker you can do it that way too and save yourself effort. I have done rice in my slow cooker and it came out great, just needs to be checked on and have enough water so it doesn't go dry. All this can be done on fthe stove top though as well or pressure cooker.and doesn't reuire effort just some monitoring... if you bulk batch your black beans you can save some to use for another dinner soon or freeze for next Mexican night or quick pull, then you won't have to plan sides and will have one already ready for you.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 10-31-2012 10:34 AM In reply to

If I were going elite and had funds to do so at the time of the meal I'd do a nice shrimp ceviche side... so good or a nice yummy gazpecho - spelling? mmm Leftover steak fajitas make killer good green salad toppings the next day.

• 10-31-2012 12:23 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    if you bulk batch your black beans

I never cook less than two pounds of any beans at a time. That feeds us with leftovers and enough to freeze for the future.

• 10-31-2012 1:40 PM In reply to

Brandy. According to how hungary we are when I make steak fajitas we will have a bowl of those chips like you get in the Mexican Restarunts with salsa. Other things I always have with them are Spanish Rice and refried beans I know some people don't care for refried beans but we don't mind on occassion.
  • 10-31-2012 4:04 PM In reply to

It's probably too late to post my idea but I do a corn/black bean salad with almost any of my Mexican dishes.

Corn (can or about 1.5 cups)

Black beans (can or about 1.5 cups)

diced onion/pepper/tomato (all or any of it) (about a cup total)

1/2 cup salsa

3T red wine vinegar

dash of salt and pepper

Cilantro for garnish.

Mix everything except cilantro and let sit to combine flavors. Before serving add diced cilantro and stir.

Erika
  • 10-31-2012 10:35 PM In reply to

Mama, that is a great side! It could also be used like a chunky black bean/corn salsa or relish too! Yum!

• 11-01-2012 7:44 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I went with salad, black beans and rice, tortilla soup and corn.

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us