Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Hurricane Sandy Prep

Last post Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:42 AM by Juneflower. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 26 2012 2:32 AM

Hurricane Sandy Prep

We don't live on the coastline, but since NJ is currently forecasted to be majorly impacted by Hurricane Sandy - I wanted to make sure to prep for possible power outages.  We have water/juice, food such as peanut butter, etc., flashlights, batteries, board games for the kids.  I think some of you have been there through Katrina and Irene (luckily, our impact was minimal last year).  Is there anything else that I am not thinking about that would make things easier just in case?  Prayers & positive thoughts would also be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ellen in NJ

• Fri, Oct 26 2012 2:59 AM In reply to

Re: Hurricane Sandy Prep

Battery-operated radio, extra warm clothes, rain gear, big contractor's bags for waterproof storage of clothes and food. Extra medication, a First-Aid kit. Do you have any provision for heat/heating food? Bags are also for bedding - anything that might get wet.

Can you stuff your windows? Do you have an escape plan, some people to check in with?

List of phone numbers (police, fire, Red Cross, whatever shelters are in town, list of medications and copies of important documents. Cash, a waterproof/fireproof box.

I am sure there are more, perhaps smaller things others will suggest. 

I hope you don't get hit too hard. We are supposed to get it also here in VT.

The government has a bunch of disaster-prep sites, as does Red Cross

• Fri, Oct 26 2012 12:31 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

will be praying for all of you.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:42 AM In reply to

Fill the cars up, just in case you have to evacuate, and pack soap, shampoo, toothpaste/toothbrushes, sanitary supplies, and TP in case you have to go to a public emergency shelter.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us