Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

What can I plant/grow this time of year?

Last post Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:49 AM by zohnerfarms. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 21 2012 8:48 PM

What can I plant/grow this time of year?

I feel like experimenting a little.

With some tilled up garden soil, and a hooped row cover, is there anything I could plant now that i could harvest in about 6 weeks? Just wondering.

Also, the local nursery had kale plants for .50. i wondered about those.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Oct 22 2012 8:32 PM In reply to

Re: What can I plant/grow this time of year?

With a hooped row cover, I would try hardier lettuces, like Marvel of 4 seasons, or Buttercrunch.  Spinach might work, definitely the kale.  Some people I know grow beets & parsnips for the winter greens. Onions, esp for the green onions.  I think almost any cool weather crop is worth a go, to find out what works in your area. 

• Mon, Oct 22 2012 9:53 PM In reply to

Im doing a cabbagehead this year in the cold winter frame 2 heads I planted it late spring and theywere up and going now I planted another one late sumer and wow they are growing fine so next year when I make brat wourst and homemade sourkroat that Im growing it like that.cool my personal record is broken and now a new one.

chrissanne
  • Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:49 AM In reply to

CH, did you end up planting anything?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us