Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Best Deals for Living Rooms

Last post Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:37 PM by haverwench. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 16 2012 9:11 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Best Deals for Living Rooms

If you have to furnish a living room with the basics, where do you find the best deals for couches, chairs, coffee tables and TV stands?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:24 PM In reply to

Re: Best Deals for Living Rooms

new or used?

used i go to the Restore or a furniture resale store. There is a large resale one in the city near me and not only have i bought sets there, but when my mom passed away, I had them pick up and sell her houseful of furniture.

New i've seen good prices at Big Lots. Kmart, too, but its a lower quality.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:27 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Cinnamonhuskies:
    new or used?

Either. Different places have different kinds of stores and offerings so I am curious to know what others have found when replacing pieces or getting started.

• Wed, Oct 17 2012 4:09 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Furniture is one thing that we rarely, if ever, buy new. We have some secondhand furniture stores nearby that usually have a pretty good selection of quality pieces. We've also been lucky enough to get some nicer hand-me-downs from family members. Garage sales and estate sales can be hit-or-miss but it's worth looking if you know you're going to need something. Like any other big purchase -- if you can avoid buying in a hurry, it's to your advantage. If you can make do with whatever you've got while you're looking, you'll have more opportunity to find what you need less expensively.

If you're really looking to save money -- hit a college or university when students are moving out. We did this when we were on a very tight budget. A lot of students who are done with school and are moving across the country (or to another country!) will set stuff by the apartment dumpster rather than trying to ship it or sell it. It's usually not good quality but you can make it work if you're willing. This is especially good for futons and desks. 

• Wed, Oct 17 2012 6:30 PM In reply to

Thrift stores, rummage and garage sales, flea markets, Craigslist (a favorite) and used furniture sales. If I was looking for new and willing to pay a bit more I would head to Ikea first - good deals - and then check out furniture outlet stores that sometimes offer clearance or will hook you up with a good deal. That would be for furniture... Home Goods I love Ross, TJ Maxx Home Goods and Marshalls. Anna's Linens... World Market... Brylane Home online too for misc. items that may be needed. TV and electronics I trust and buy from Best Buy. I always get a good deal and price match when able.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Oct 17 2012 10:39 PM In reply to

Brand new? IKEA.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Thu, Oct 18 2012 9:44 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

How much do you think an entire living room set up should cost? My daughter will be needing to set up house after she and her boyfriend marry and he graduates. It will be interesting to see what she spends.

What do you estimate the total cost of your living room to be.

• Thu, Oct 18 2012 11:28 AM In reply to

I bought a brand new living room set from a manufactured housing place that was going out of business. $275 for a couch, loveseat, and chair. It was display furniture that they put in the show homes on the lot.

After 3 yrs I gave that set to my son and DIL and bought a couch and loveseat set for $40 total! From Habitat Restore. My "TV stand" Is a very large and incredibly heavy antique buffet that I refinished. It was given to me along with an upright cabinet that i now in my stoveroom.

The 2 rockers we have were $150 each and handmade by an Amish man that we met at an old engine show. We bought those in 2000.

Our side lamp table is actually a night stand...part of a bedroom set we bought from a newspaper ad in 2002 or 2003 for $50 for the entire set. (bed, headboard, table, dresser, mirror)

That is my living room. $350.  ($300 for the handmade rocking chairs, $50 for the couch, loveseat, table.)

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Thu, Oct 18 2012 11:33 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

new would be very expensive but a second hand or thift store is a bit cheaper

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Oct 18 2012 12:00 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Our living room furniture:

Couch, free, hand-me-down from my MIL. Coffee table, free, my husband made it in wood-shop class when he was in high school. 2 end tables, $5 each, from a farm auction. TV stand $120, on sale at Menards. We previously had a $10 nightstand and a $12 plant stand in the living room as well, both from a local secondhand furniture dealer.

Small house = small rooms = don't need a lot of furniture.

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us