Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What can I make with corn tortillas?

Last post Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:50 AM by LifeofRiley. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 7 2008 9:21 PM

What can I make with corn tortillas?

I am the proud recipient of 2 - 4 pound bags of 6" white corn tortillas. I've never used them before, only flour tortillas. What can I make with them?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Jan 7 2008 9:39 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Re: What can I make with corn tortillas?

Enchiladas comes to mind. You make a filling of chopped meat, vegetables and maybe rice , put it about 2 tablespoons of filling (more or less) on each tortilla and roll up. Spray a 9x13 pan, lay in the stuffed tortillas, seam side down and then pour a sauce over, like canned enchilada sauce or a tomato sauce, a thinned white sauce or a can of cream soup thinned down. Bake at 375° for about 45 minutes.

I don't have an exact recipe because I just throw mine together with what I have on hand. There are many ways to make them and many recipes available on the internet recipes sites. E

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Mon, Jan 7 2008 10:01 PM In reply to

That's kind of how I throw leftover meat and cabbage into egg rolls. I do have canned pizza sauce, but maybe salsa would work too? I should pick up a can of enchalada sauce at the store and give it a try. Thanks!!

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Jan 7 2008 10:06 PM In reply to

Homemade tortilla chips to die for.  Just cut a stack of 4 or 5 with a pizza cutter into triangles and fry quickly, salt and eat.  I use my electric frying pan with about 1/2" of oil in it.  Experiment with the temp, you don't want them getting too brown on you.

We love chicken enchiladas.  I put a smear of refried beans across the center of a tortilla, add some cooked chicken, some chopped onion either white or green, and a little cheese.  Letting the tortilla sit in pre-warmed sauce for a minute or two makes them easier to roll.  Roll up and place side by side in the pan, cover with enchilada sauce (canned or homemade - I have a good recipe if you need one), add more cheese, then bake.  Only takes about 20 minutes or so.  Cover it with foil 'til about halfway thru, then remove the foil so they'll get nice and melty on top.  Mmmm!  Liz 

• Mon, Jan 7 2008 10:46 PM In reply to

Taquitos!  Here is a great recipe and they freeze perfectly.  http://www.recipezaar.com/81118

You can do a search for many more recipes using all kinds of meats, we fancy pork but hey any taquito will work at our house!  lol 

• Mon, Jan 7 2008 11:34 PM In reply to

Quesadillas - on one tortilla, put cheese, picante sauce or salsa, and any other toppings (chopped chicken is good), top with another tortilla, and bake at 350 until cheese melts.  Turn over and bake another 2-3 minutes to dry tortilla (otherwise the bottom tortilla gets soggy).   Slice into 1/4s with a pizza cutter.  Eat as is, or serve with sour cream.

• Tue, Jan 8 2008 6:34 AM In reply to

We like to slice them into strips with a pizza cutter and use in casseroles and mexican soups...or chilaquiles, which is like a mexican lasagna.

• Tue, Jan 8 2008 8:40 AM In reply to

Dear Michelle, Please see my post to you in the Food Stamps sub-Forum; I answered you there about how to use corn tortillas.  Thanks!  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Tue, Jan 8 2008 9:58 AM In reply to

cinamon

i havent tried it yet but my mom makes the best homemade enchalada sauce....this was how she gave me the recipe over the phone (it may need to be adjusted)

enchalada sauce

1 tablespoon butter,oil, grease, melted (mom said that she uses real butter, i would assume margarine would work)

2 tablespoons flour (mom uses all purpose, but i would think whatever flour you have on hand works too)

2-3 tablespoons chile powder

1/2 teaspoon cayanne pepper

make a "rue" (kinda like a gravy start)

slowly add in 3 cups of chicken broth about a 1/4 cup at a time...

soak your tortillas in the sauce for a minute or so, fill with your filling of choice, top with remaining sauce, sprinkle cheese on top, bake covered 375 for 45 minutes

mom told me she was stuck in a chicken rut, so she always stuffs hers with a mix of chicken, motzerella and cheddar cheeses and sliced black olives....she told me she boils the chicken till it shreds, then dumps it into a colander, and rinses it......when i asked her if she used the chicken broth the chicken was boiled in, she said "no, i just use the bullion cubes" ..........then she seemed kinda surprised when i told her, that she could have used it and that she had wasted a bunch of good chicken broth.......she said next time she would try an save it to use....

• Tue, Jan 8 2008 12:21 PM In reply to

• Sue
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 27 2007
    • Greeley Colorado
    • Posts 144

We make mexican pizzas at our house.  Smear refried beans on a tortilla with some cheese, add another tortilla and put meat - hamburger, pork, chicken, whatever you have - and some more cheese.  Put it in the oven until the cheese melts.  If you like you can garnish it with sour cream, salsa, lettuce, tomato, etc.

I also make my own 'fritos' from corn tortillas.  Cut the tortilla into small strips and deep  fry in oil.  My husband prefers these anymore in chili. 

Sue

http://singingaswego.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us