Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Early Holiday Food Planning 2012?

Last post Sat, Oct 6 2012 5:01 PM by Elsi. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 9:39 AM

Early Holiday Food Planning 2012?

I have to laugh. Yesterday we were in the car and my Mom beat me to the chase and asked about "what's for Thanksgiving dinner!?" before I even thought of planning a menu! I told her I had not even thought of it yet as it's still early... she's too cute though, all excited over the back breaking labor I put into our huge holiday dinner spreads. So now I've got my early planning to do. Have any of you started to meal plan your end of the year holiday meals? what are they? have you started to do anything to prep/prepare? save money? preserve foods for your holiday meal? other?
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 11:02 AM In reply to

Re: Early Holiday Food Planning 2012?

For Thanksgiving we usually do the turkey, with all of the trimmings, and dessert. I just have to figure out what to have everyone bring. It all depends on how many people will be here. I don't usually plan anything until the end of October or the first part of November. I am trying to make room in the freezer for the turkey though.
    Riley
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 11:16 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

So far all I thought is I would need to buy for Thanksgiving diner next month. I am planning on turkey, mash potatoes, green bean casserole. maybe rolls of some kind, and a desert. Planning o doing most of the cooking that morning. Of course I can change my ming on some of the menu.
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 1:08 PM In reply to

We are having relatives come up to visit, so I have already started thinking about what we will have. I haven't purchased anything yet, though.

Jill

• Fri, Oct 5 2012 1:16 PM In reply to

I do basically the same menu every year for Thanksgiving, so no advance planning required. We're not fancy here, we like turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, and one or two green veggies. And pumpkin pie for dessert.
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 3:17 PM In reply to

I am thinking of a Southern Cajun oriented theme this year. It will be very... well... let's just say it will only happen once a year and people will be in food comas even longer than last year's meal lol Thanksgiving and Christmas, and sometimes Easter, are massive feasts here. It's just tradition and we enjoy a variety of traditional holiday foods. This year I may tweak them Southern style though. Mom liked the idea. I have some fun planning to do!
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 7:06 PM In reply to

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2008
    • Posts 169

I actually just made up my plans - it's simpler than previous years since it it will only be two weeks after having my third baby! We'll probably get together with another family who I'm sure will pitch in with a few dishes. My plan is: herb roasted turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet pot casserole, green bean casserole, corn, rolls, canned cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, ice cream. I am taking some shortcuts with store bought pie dough and ice cream (usually do those from scratch). I also do a veggie tray and artichoke dip so we can snack while we wait for dinner to be ready.
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 7:34 PM In reply to

Our menu for Thanksgiving is NOT allowed to change, the complaining would never stop if even one thing was missing.  We can add new items, but the basics best be there.  so the menu has been set in stone for close to 70 years now.  no need to plan.

• Fri, Oct 5 2012 8:17 PM In reply to

No menu we don't do Holidays.. but DD like Pumpkin rolls (usually with cream cheese) we will sub Tofutti  which works great for her to be able to enjoy this time of year...I usually will pick up a bag of potatoes since they will be on sale..
    http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sat, Oct 6 2012 5:01 PM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

We're the same. A basic menu. Since hubby & I moved into a small cottage, my #1 son has been hosting every one. That works out better since they have all the toys for toddlers and beds to put them in for naps. Most of the times my daughter-in-law and her mother take care of the turkey & the mashed potatoes. One year we brought a brisket to add to the feast. But most of the time I'm just bringing side dishes --- and then I make turkey carcass soup with the left-overs.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us