Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

$65 monthly allowance

Last post Tue, Aug 28 2012 7:31 AM by babs. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 24 2012 2:06 PM

$65 monthly allowance

This is one of those topics that could fit in many of our forums.  I saw an article today stating that most kids start getting allowance at age 8 and the average is $65/month.

Did/do your kids get allowance?  What age did you start and how much $ did they get?  Did they earn it or was it just given?  What parameters did you set for giving your kids allowance?

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Fri, Aug 24 2012 3:00 PM In reply to

Re: $65 monthly allowance

My kids got an allowance when they were about 10 years old. They received about 5 bucks every 2 weeks to start out with. They had to keep their rooms cleaned. As they got older the amount of chores went up and so did the amount of money. We stopped giving an allowance when they hit 18 and had a job of their own. At that time they were making 80 bucks a month. My DS didn't stop getting an allowance until he was 19. He helped take care of his grandfather, helped around his grandfather's house and had chores at home like sweeping the floors, cleaning up after the dogs and keeping his bathroom clean. He would also do the yardwork, so he earned that amount.
    Riley
  • Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:24 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

This may sound strange but keep in mind the only toys or extras I buy for my granddaughter is what she receives for Christmas and her birthday.  She takes care of her wants the rest of the year. She started getting a dollar a week at age 5.  She is now 10 and gets $5 per week.

This allowence is not based on chores.  She just gets it because she breathes.  She does have chores though which are categorized.  She cleans her room and bathroom, puts away her clean clothes because these are her personal responsibility.

Her family chores are assisting with laundry, meal prep and cleanup, dusting, working in the garden, and animal care are done to help the family.

She is also given the opportunity to earn additional money from cleaning the chicken coups and other PRN jobs.

She also is developing a clientele in the area if someone is needing help with horses and mules.  She has an incredible ability to get them to do what ever she wants whether it be herding them off a highway if they have gotten out, or standing in place to get doctored, or just coming to a particular spot.  Scares the c**p out of me!!!

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:28 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

oldest and up until my 29 year old got $5 a week which then was alot of money got 2 at home who a are young  girl 17 gets $20.00 a week and her brother 14 (in a few days ) gets $15  ( this really doesnt matter they get alot more thank we give them )  they do have chores to do

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Fri, Aug 24 2012 10:06 PM In reply to

maybe a little to steep for a ten year old to 12 maybe starting when they are more responsible for the money then I can say go for it then but my kid was not responsible he blew the money so fast he would have to wait until the end of the month he didn't like that but tough you did not show responsiblity like take out trash clean up the dog pooh in the yard cleaning his room was a different story I had to battle it out for a week on that if he did not then no allowance this is back in the nineties so tweny dollars a month for me to give him could have went in my tank of gas instead of doing a daily issue with him he was a drama queen.

• Sun, Aug 26 2012 12:34 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

not yet just because my mom gives them money $5 a week but since I pay for most things anyways.   They have to do chores like clean rooms, pick up after themselves and more soon since they are getting older.  

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Aug 26 2012 5:56 PM In reply to

sunshinetreva:

This is one of those topics that could fit in many of our forums.  I saw an article today stating that most kids start getting allowance at age 8 and the average is $65/month.

Did/do your kids get allowance?  What age did you start and how much $ did they get?  Did they earn it or was it just given?  What parameters did you set for giving your kids allowance?

Nope!  Giving allowances was very popular when our children were growing up, & we were often criticized as parents.  No one "just gives" $ to me, & we did not give allowances to our children.  We had certain chores around the house that could be done to earn money - cutting the grass, weeding in the garden, laundry, etc.  Other jobs, like cleaning their rooms, dishes & picking the fruit trees was expected as part of the family, & not paid.  Our children earned any money they spent, except what they received from grandparents as birthday gifts.  Both DH & I felt that just handing them $ was teaching them to waste it, not"how to handle it." 

All of them are very careful with their money now.  None of our children took out student loans for college, either. They all did a combination of scholarships & part time jobs to work their way through.  Middle DD did have to take out some loans for medical school, but they don't let you work while you are in med school, & she has the income to pay them back now. She was one of only 2 in her med school class who had zero debt from undergraduate.

I think $65 a month is a ridiculous amount of money to give a child.

• Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:44 PM In reply to

My kids got commission on .25 per job they did before they could even read.

Ds#1 got commission 10% of our livestock sales until he had a real job.

Ds#2 has not been able to find work. He is 17 and gets $10 a week for his chores. His friend gets $10 a week and all he has to do is clean the cat box daily. Trust me, my son does ALOT more than that here!!!

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:41 PM In reply to

well I can see if the kid was 166 just one payment of 65 dollars a month but for now adays 65 dollars can pay for almost my food bill in one month.

chrissanne
  • Mon, Aug 27 2012 2:08 PM In reply to

Neither DH nor I got allowances growing up.  We lived in homes where our parents sheltered, fed, clothed & educated us. We both helped around the house, but DH had to do much more than I did.  I did get extra things, but I didn't "earn" them, I guess, by doing extra work.

DD is seven & has never had an allowance.  She doesn't get extras (movies, toys, etc.) anymore either, because she doesn't keep her room clean.  She is given incentive to do well in school, but has to earn her "prize" at set intervals.  She wants a pet fish, but I told her until she could show responsibility for keeping her room clean & taking care of her own body (complete shower, hair wash, comb, tooth brushing on her own, then there would be no pet fish.

I do almost all of the work at home on my own & I don't get extra money handed to me.  Life isn't fair & people need to learn that early so that they don't feel entitled to everything.

When DD is a licensed driver, we will try to purchase a car for her & put it in her name. She'll need insurance & she'll want gas money, so she'll have to get a job.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us