Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Where Did Libby's Potted Meat Go

Last post 10-17-2013 1:35 AM by Sea. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-19-2012 11:20 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Where Did Libby's Potted Meat Go

My parents like to stock up on things like potted meat for storms. My mother has been hunting for Libby's which is my father's favorite.

We can find other brands of potted meat and we can find other products of Libby's but we can not find Libby's potted meat. Is this product missing from your shelves as well? Does anyone know what happened to it?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 08-20-2012 2:11 AM In reply to

Re: Where Did Libby's Potted Meat Go

Brandy, I haven't been seeing it much anywhere myself. Searching online for it brings up a bunch of dead ends. Their website mentions that it might be found at either Breaux Mart or Rouses Supermarket... are either of them near you?
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • 08-20-2012 7:02 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I did the search for it myself and all locations that still carry the product are an hour or more away.

• 08-20-2012 8:02 AM In reply to

Dollar General has potted meat but not sure which brand. I will look when I am there again. I like to keep that, deviled ham(cost more), tuna, viennas and the small cans of ham. Dollar General has a small can of ham(same size as tuna) for $1. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 08-20-2012 9:34 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

babs:
    Dollar General has potted meat but not sure which brand

I think it's Bryan's they carry here. I can't remember for sure.

• 08-20-2012 10:13 AM In reply to

I'm assuming potted is another word for canned? In that case, you can find a lot of canned meat on Amazon. However, it can be more expensive than discount stores there. You can buy Libby's through that stie though and others... I have seen canned meat at the Dollar Tree. I do not buy this kind of product so I wouldn't know to recommend brands/etc. but I have seen small cans of chicken, tuna, ham, those sausage things and random fish like herring, sardines, etc. Anyhow, not a good value at all and you can find canned meat anyhwere really but most prices are a complete rip off. The best priced place I have ever seen during shopping browsing is Big Lots and Grocery Outlet. Big Lots sells the big cans for like 1.99... which if you are resorting to buying store canned meat or fish is a much better value.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 08-20-2012 10:33 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    I'm assuming potted is another word for canned?

Potted meat is a meat spread. The cans sell for under .50 usually.

The one we are looking for is put out by Libby's. It's a product that has disappeared off the shelves in town. Other brands are available but my father does not like those so I went on the hunt to see why we can't find them for him.

• 08-20-2012 10:45 AM In reply to

Nothing tastes as good as personally canned meat!
  • 08-20-2012 11:15 AM In reply to

Kassy, I don't home can or use canned meats <animal flesh, only occasional fish> but I would assume it is a MUCH better value, as well as healthier, to can it yourself. You can get so much more meat to cook for the price you can for those tiny cans with like nothing in them. In that case, canning supplies and home cooked meat seems like a much better and frugal investment. I know a ton of folks can here for frugal and better health reasons.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 08-20-2012 12:48 PM In reply to

I think we're missing the point a little bit. While home canning is definitely healthier and cheaper, it's not what the intended recipient wants or necessarily likes. The intended recipient wants/likes Libby's potted meat. And the package size might be ideal for his needs. Larger amounts might be too much to use up before it goes bad.

When I was growing up, Mom bought the Armour potted meat. Not my favorite and I haven't bought it for myself ever. But people do like it, and prefer the way one manufacturer makes it over what another does, just like any other available grocery item.

Possibly the only feasible way to get it is online now. It's worth looking into.

Jill

Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us