Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Ingredient Substitutuions

Last post 08-15-2012 9:21 PM by BargainBinge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-15-2012 6:26 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Ingredient Substitutuions

Over the years, I have found a few substitutions for ingredients in recipes like the one to turn regular flour into self-rising.

What are some of the good substitutes you have found? Have they been healthier choices, cheaper ones or just a scrabble to find something to use because you have everything else in the bowl but are missing that one odd ingredient you don't want to run to the store for?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 08-15-2012 9:21 PM In reply to

Re: Ingredient Substitutuions

Fresh or dry herbs and spices, flaked/dried seaweed - used in place of salt and flavor enhancers. They all work very well. Also, making my own seasoning mixes in place of chemically enhanced blends/packets has helped to replace them with a healthier sub.

Dried onions and garlic - diced, flaked, powdered - used in place of fresh if not available. These have really come in handy during times of immediate need.

All natural dehydrated potato flakes - used in place of recipes that call for misc. flour needs or used as a thickener.

Heart healthy oil in place of butter and all natural applesauce in place of oil or egg in some recipes.

Raw local honey or agave nectar in place of sugar... Dried dates in place of sugar... fresh and dried fruits in place of sugar/sweeteners.

Coconut water in place of sugary un-natural electrolyte and energy drinks

Beans, legumes, peas in place of meat

Grated raw nuts in place of grated cheese - this is perfect for raw vegan dishes

Coconut or nut milk in place of dairy milk - all the best when I can make it fresh too... I use to make a lot of fresh coconut milk from beautiful fresh coconuts

Fresh sliced citrus, ginger, mint, cucumber, etc. thrown into ice water to flavor in place of some really unhealthy drinks out there, chemically flavored waters/beverages and those mix in flavor packets...

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us