Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Christmas Wedding Menu

Last post Sat, Jul 28 2012 9:03 AM by grame. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 3:15 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Christmas Wedding Menu

My daughter's wedding is in December with a Christmas theme. We are working on the menu.

So far she has gumbo, jambalaya and chips and dip. Mom and I are adding ham, stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Anyone have other ideas to consider?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 3:43 PM In reply to

Re: Christmas Wedding Menu

chocolate fountain yummmmmm

Don't you need some cornbread to go with gumbo and jambalaya?

Shrimp and cocktail sauce?

Its 2 weeks from ds' wedding and they haven't finalized the food yet argh. It's gonna cost $1100 to have fried chicken, gravy, potatoes and corn on the cob done by the camp cook at the place the reception is. they might go with ordering cold cuts and stuff from Gordon Food Service.

Back in january ds thought a potluck sounded tacky. Now he thinks its a good idea.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:24 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

My DD got married at Christmas one thing that surprized us was very ate the Chrismas cookies  , and  they loved the appetizers  everyone is so busy  think small there is alredy so many parties and such   so a large spread .. 

if you must have a spread  we did one Christmas wedding a  BBQ

we done a potato bar  

We had a chocolate bar before  it was great fun.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:47 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

The wedding is an evening one so we expect people to be somewhat hungry as the reception falls around dinner time.

Elegant and...expensive,

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:51 PM In reply to

Our church usually has a fellowship meal near Christmas. One year we did a Mexican theme and everybody loved it. By that time everyone already had the heavy Thanksgiving meal, and was thinking about another heavy meal at Christmas and New Year's, so the Mexican dishes were different and really went over well.

For dessert we had an ice cream sundae station with vanilla ice cream and all kinds of toppings.

Just a thought for you. Smile

Of course you could always do bacon wrapped scallops as one local bride did recently. Mini quiches are good. Chicken cordon blue is traditional but tastes good.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 8:13 PM In reply to

Maybe a veggie tray to go with that dip?
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 8:59 PM In reply to

sweet potaoes and collard greens or rice I gotone more tamellia pie yeah got the recipe from when we lived in boloxie mississippi.

Chicken roasted or what ever you want and a icecream scallop potatoes more collard greens sorry Im starting to miss all those food again its all your fault brandy.Smile

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 10:16 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

spiderdust:
    Maybe a veggie tray

That works and added it.

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 10:37 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

what about a turkey since they are cheap?  plus some salads and rolls?  any other side dishes that are common in the area that are cheap?   or the basics corn, mashed potatoes...

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Fri, Jul 27 2012 5:52 AM In reply to

I would for sure add some veggie sides since they aren't on the menu. It seems to be a mix of Southern food and a Traditional Christmas menu which leaves you in great luck for veggie sides that go either way.

Roasted sweet potatoes with honey/cinnamon glaze

Baked green beans/mushrooms and thin slices onions tossed with olive oil and herbs/spices - this is like a green bean casserole but without the gravy or mushroom sauce... veggies are kept pure in this dish

Five spice mixed sautted greens and mushrooms dish .. collard, mustard, turnip, swiss chard, kale ... with garlic, mushrooms and red chili flakes for some spice kick

Roasted root veggie platter with seasonal root veggies

Roasted winter squash or a vegetarian option of roasted stuffed winter squash - butternut and acorn work great with a whole grain pilaf with dried fruit/nuts/seeds of choice

Shrimp cocktail with cajun cocktail sauce or cajun style ceviche

Creole corn chowder

Homemade mac and cheese with cajun-crumb topping

Simple spring greens salad with a seasonal chopped fruit like apples and some candied pecans.

Fresh fruit salad and raw veggie platters always win

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us