Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Do You Budget?

Last post Sun, Sep 8 2013 2:10 PM by sissy. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 25 2012 7:58 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Do You Budget?

A survey done by Bankrate. com says many people are not budgeting their expenses. Are you one of them?

Read more about budgeting to control your finances

Track your monthly expenses

Why Budgets Fail

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:12 AM In reply to

Re: Do You Budget?

Yes, we budget. In fact, we still keep track daily of our expenses tho we no longer need to...have a good handle on it since we have done this for years. It still reminds us of what we have spent, how we spent it and if we should have spent it! :) I can't imagine not having a budget. Plus I keep the checkbook balanced with each check (yes, we still use a few checks each month). There are still a few things I don't like automatically withdrawn. I think it's a 'power' thing with me! :)
  • Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:24 AM In reply to

We have a budget at our house. We review it monthly to see where we are and how much we have to spend. I can't imagine trying to live without one.

Riley
  • Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:15 PM In reply to

yes mom and dads are seprate and so is mine this house been paid off and land but my budget I do mine myself and its tight if I want to waist onehundred or so no I can't I shop threw the year and even my food look for sales yes I have my own food but I donnot get food stamps don't need it if I lived on my own again then yes since Im more careful with budgets compared to what I use to do to budgets so now Im a tightwad over this and no Im not black belt yet maybe in two years when Im not drinking up diet coke means more money for me and that money I use up is gonna be socked away this is a fund for a car since I had to pay off everything else.

• Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:26 PM In reply to

Yes, I do use a budget.  It was difficult being married to a spender, but smooth sailing now.

Cindy, I was drinking 2 bottles of pop a day.  I figured it was costing me $1 a day AND money for the medication for the headaches the artifical sweetner was giving me. That's over $365 a year, 1/3 of my house insurance payment.  I quit cold turkey and have not had one since I started the exercise thread.  Now, if you quit, you may have some caffeine withdrawl headaches but drink lots of water and you should be fine in a couple of days.

Susan

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:26 PM In reply to

We have a monthly budget.  I can't do it without having it all written down each month.  Not an option to not have one at this time.

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 2:55 PM In reply to

Grannie_Sue:

Yes, I do use a budget.  It was difficult being married to a spender, but smooth sailing now.

Cindy, I was drinking 2 bottles of pop a day.  I figured it was costing me $1 a day AND money for the medication for the headaches the artifical sweetner was giving me. That's over $365 a year, 1/3 of my house insurance payment.  I quit cold turkey and have not had one since I started the exercise thread.  Now, if you quit, you may have some caffeine withdrawl headaches but drink lots of water and you should be fine in a couple of days.

Susan

I may have to do this its a bummer but at least you gave me an idea quit the stuff put up with headaches rather that then money down the drain and yes good thing excerise is the thing ...lol thanks

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 3:52 PM In reply to

Now that we have very few bills and extra income, we budget the bills and gasoline, but only roughly budget the groceries as we are in stock-up mode right now. Other expenses like clothing just come out of our 'fluid savings' envelope in our safe.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 4:41 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

We have a monthy budget and an annual budget. 

The monthly budget includes "everything" and not a dime left without a destination--including the checking account cushion of approxiamately $50.  We are paid on the last day of the month--all bills are paid online on the next day for the entire month, cash withdrawal from the bank to fund our cash envelopes, and we're done for the month.  Occasionally we have to "tweak" the budget throughout the month so we have a quickie budget meeting to figure it out, make the changes on our computer, and it's done. 

Once you have a working budget in place, and commit to it--it is like getting a pay raise--you suddenly have more money to use for essential categoires once you write a dollar amount for clothing, or eating out, or similar things and then stick to the agreed upon amount. 

A budget is all about controlling your income rather than letting it "disappear" and then you are left wondering where it all went while you live paycheck to paycheck. 

We LOVE our budget!

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:52 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

*9/8*9yes

and we stick to it .. with a family like ours budget is important ..

we have a lot of wiggle room and there are time we have to adjust ... Like the 4.78% raise in power ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us