Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Freezing evaporated milk

Last post Wed, Jul 18 2012 12:06 PM by zohnerfarms. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 16 2012 7:52 PM

Freezing evaporated milk

Has anyone tried doing this?  I don't use this very much, but I try to keep a can on hand for cooking emergencies when I'm out of fresh.  My local salvage store has 12 oz cans 3/$1 this week.  That's a terrific bargain, but they expire in late August.   I got three, but thought if I could pour it into freezer bags and it turn out okay, I'd go back and get about six more.  I know when I've tried to freeze heavy cream and half & half, it turned out grainy, but I've never even thought of trying to freeze evaporated milk.

Carol
    western NC
  • Mon, Jul 16 2012 8:23 PM In reply to

Re: Freezing evaporated milk

I read on the internet it seperates when frozen. Since you are getting such a good deal I would take one can and freeze it to see how it turns out for yourself if that doesn't work then I would make as many freezable dishes using the milk as I could to have to use later if it works you would have your milk used up and some extra dishes.  This may sound if no other way to use it you could always take a milk bath.
  • Mon, Jul 16 2012 8:41 PM In reply to

Thanks, Linda; that's what I sort of thought, that it would turn grainy.  Since most things aren't really unuseable on the 'expire date', I may go ahead and get some more and keep them in the fridge in my bottom drawer where I keep nuts, beef tallow for soap, etc.  That should extend the life of them by at least a few months. 

Carol
    western NC
  • Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:24 PM In reply to

It will not freeze "hard" solid, but it will freeze. I have forgotten one in the freezer a couple of times before, & they never turned grainy.

When it is frozen, if you cut the top off the can, & whip the frozen slush, it will whip almost like whipped cream.  I do this for a recipe for cheesecake that we make, using a package of lemon gelatin in a cup of boiling water, a cup of sugar ( which you whip with the frozen milk), and a package of cream cheese ( which you melt in the hot JellO.  Mix the two & chill.  It makes a great cheesecake, & I would buy it all, myself, just for that if you have the room.

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 1:57 AM In reply to

I have used cans of evap milk that were over 4 years past the best by date.  I do turn my cans over every 6 months, and the milk cans I give a little shake.  Older cans will darken a little but the flavor is the same.  I would be afraid of storing them in the fridg as that is a very humid envrironment, and the cans will rust quickly.
  • Tue, Jul 17 2012 2:48 AM In reply to

zohnerfarms:

It will not freeze "hard" solid, but it will freeze. I have forgotten one in the freezer a couple of times before, & they never turned grainy.

When it is frozen, if you cut the top off the can, & whip the frozen slush, it will whip almost like whipped cream.  I do this for a recipe for cheesecake that we make, using a package of lemon gelatin in a cup of boiling water, a cup of sugar ( which you whip with the frozen milk), and a package of cream cheese ( which you melt in the hot JellO.  Mix the two & chill.  It makes a great cheesecake, & I would buy it all, myself, just for that if you have the room.

Mmmm... I think I'm going to need some detailed instructions. ;)

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Wed, Jul 18 2012 12:06 PM In reply to

spiderdust:
    I think I'm going to need some detailed instructions. ;)

Place a can of evaporated milk in the freezer the day before you plan to make the cheesecake (unless you already have some in the freezer)

If you are using a graham cracker crust, prepare it first. (crushed graham crackers, a spoon of sugar mixed with 1/2 cube melted butter. Press into cake pan & chill to firm) These day, with the family eating gluten-free, I skip the crust entirely, & just pour the filling into fancy glass sherbets to chill.

Boil a cup of water & add to a 3 oz package of lemon gelatin in a bowl with high sides.  The store brands work just as well. Stir to dissolve. Add 8 oz of cream cheese, cut into rough cubes to the hot gelatin mix. You can bring the cream cheese to room temp if you want to, but you don't have to do that unless it is frozen. Stir to melt the cubes somewhat & combine.  Set aside.  

Use a can opener to remove the lid on the can of frozen milk & dump the slush into a large bowl.  Whip until it begins to look like whipped cream, then GRADUALLY sprinkle in 1 cup of sugar & continue to whip.  Using the same beaters,whip the gelatin mixture until the cream cheese is well incorporated, then return the beaters to the large bowl & slowly add the gelatin mixture to the canned milk/sugar mixture.  Pour into serving dish, or dishes, and chill for at least 4 hours.

Our family has substituted chevre cheese in this recipe, & it is fabulous that way!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us