Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

great article - be satisfied with what you have

Last post Mon, Jul 16 2012 1:22 PM by MamaJ. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 10 2012 9:50 PM

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

great article - be satisfied with what you have

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/dont-indulge-be-happy.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all

This is a long article but I felt it was well worth reading. Made me think about what I have and what I do with it.

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:07 PM In reply to

Re: great article - be satisfied with what you have

MamaJ, I cut and pasted the link, and got message that said there was no site that matched this link. ?? Can you help?It might be my server, since this happens frequently - or would it e Firefox?

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:20 PM In reply to

its fire fox seaturtle Im using it right now go to fire fox typ in the link google and click on it as soon as the link finds you then the hyperlinks will get you threw this is what I have to do half the timesome times firfox will not use certain channels like that but will use google.

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:42 PM In reply to

Perhaps you could summarize?
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 12:06 AM In reply to

read it- maximum "happiness" atttained at about $75K in yearly income, comfortable. (This is in the US.) Buying things does not make us happy, if three people won the lottery, the one who spent money on themselves would be less happy than the one who saved and spend sparingly, and the person who gave it all away. Sharing creates more happiness than having.

I found it interesting, I strive to attain being able to pay my bills, I should maybe try to think of the moeny differently, as I don't anticipate being in the comfort range anytime, actually. Need to get more comfortable with having less.

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 8:10 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 963

Sorry to those of you having issues with the link! I use Firefox and it's working for me, so I have no idea what's wrong with it. If you can google and find it that way, it really is worth reading!

Some points that really hit home for me:

We derive more happiness from spending on experiences than we do from spending on things. I definitely have observed that one in my own life.

Individuals making $25K a year thought they would be twice as happy if they made $55K a year -- but people making $55K a year are only about 9% more satisfied than those making $25K. It seems that once we have enough money to be comfortable, satisfaction doesn't increase much as income does. 

The whole concept of "underindulgence" was fascinating to me. The quote from the article was "the banquet is in the first bite." There are studies that show when we restrain ourselves from indulging in a treat (chocolate or soda were given as examples), when we *do* finally have that treat, we enjoy it even more.

• Thu, Jul 12 2012 4:04 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The page opened for me. I use Internet Explorer myself.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jul 12 2012 4:11 PM In reply to

tracyinmn:

read it- maximum "happiness" atttained at about $75K in yearly income, comfortable. (This is in the US.) Buying things does not make us happy, if three people won the lottery, the one who spent money on themselves would be less happy than the one who saved and spend sparingly, and the person who gave it all away. Sharing creates more happiness than having.

I found it interesting, I strive to attain being able to pay my bills, I should maybe try to think of the moeny differently, as I don't anticipate being in the comfort range anytime, actually. Need to get more comfortable with having less.

Tracy I liked your email this I do like alot thanks.

• Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:17 AM In reply to

Dear Forumites, Here's a related article, also from the Sunday Review section of the NY TIMES. It's about why "why conservatives are happier than liberals." It's by an official of a conservative institution (the President of the American Enterprise Institute), so a bit biased, but anyhow .... *** http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/conservatives-are-happier-and-extremists-are-happiest-of-all.html?_r=2 *** Yours in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Mon, Jul 16 2012 1:22 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 963

Deborahmichelle:
    Dear Forumites, Here's a related article, also from the Sunday Review section of the NY TIMES. It's about why "why conservatives are happier than liberals." It's by an official of a conservative institution (the President of the American Enterprise Institute), so a bit biased, but anyhow .... *** http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/conservatives-are-happier-and-extremists-are-happiest-of-all.html?_r=2 *** Yours in Him, Deborah & Heart

Deborah, thanks for sharing this. I think you're right about the bias -- but I also think it would be pretty difficult to have an unbiased opinion on something like this!

"Whether religion and marriage should make people happy is a question you have to answer for yourself. But consider this: Fifty-two percent of married, religious, politically conservative people (with kids) are very happy — versus only 14 percent of single, secular, liberal people without kids."

But what about the single, secular, conservatives without kids? Or what about the married, religious liberals with kids?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us