Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Does Anyone Can Water for Storage?

Last post 07-16-2012 12:59 AM by zohnerfarms. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-09-2012 7:15 AM

Does Anyone Can Water for Storage?

I have been reading about people canning water for storage instead of buying it.  Several places, I read about this. Has anyone tried it? Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 07-09-2012 8:57 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Does Anyone Can Water for Storage?

A friend recently suggested I do this.  Most of us have had that empty space in the canner and we put in a jar or water anyway to cut down on the dancing the other jars do, so no extra effort.

This water cna be used like your other water and an added benefit, due to being sterilized, it can be used to flush a wound, and irritated eye or other purposes.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 07-09-2012 2:08 PM In reply to

Babs, I also do what  Grame said, I always fill the canner and sometimes it is with a jar of water, i use saved "used" lids, if they don't seal, no loss.  figure I have to store the jars anyway, might as well have them full of water in case I need it.  Also, when i re-use the lids they seal just fine.  So far this year I have had one not seal out of 20+. 

I am not loosing anything if the lid doesn't seal, and I am gaining some water storage if it does.  I have been doing this about 5 years now.  when it is time to can food in the jars, I just open and dump the water onto the garden.  really helps in the jar washing department too.  no surprise spiders have taken up residence, or dust in the jars.  so much easier to wash them and can.  to me this is a no-brainer. 

for me it is just an easy way to make use of expensive lids, and space. 

• 07-09-2012 6:22 PM In reply to

OK more questions. Do you bring the water to a boil?  Have you done with with hot water bath and pressure canner? Babs
  • 07-09-2012 6:51 PM In reply to

This question reminded me that I canned a jar of water a couple years ago. Found it in the back of the cabinet. Hmmm, looks like it has some kind of particles floating around in it.

I cannot recall which method was used; boiling water bath or pressure canned. I don't think I'll drink it. But...if it was an emergency situation, I might put in a drop or two of bleach, let it set a while and then strain it through a coffee filter.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 07-09-2012 8:39 PM In reply to

I just fill the jar with hot water and put the lid on, then put in the canner, either water bath or pressure canner, which ever one I happen to be using that day.  Process for as long as what ever you are canning. 

Budgetwise, I would bet that you canned "city" water, not untreated water from a well or spring.  if you filter it, using a paper coffee filter, the particles will filter out and you can use it for drinking if you have too, or use the water for cleaning, if you happen to be without water for a while.  Those particles are the chemicals used to treat city water systems, and some might even be from the pipes transporting your water.  most are calcium deposits that settle out and clump togehter in water storage. 

• 07-10-2012 2:53 PM In reply to

MtViolet...you're right. It is city water, so those floaters are probably just benign minerals.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 07-10-2012 5:17 PM In reply to

I have city water too. I need to think about this for a while. DS has a well but it is too dry to beg water from him. Maybe run it through a filter first. Babs
  • 07-10-2012 5:24 PM In reply to

Babs: a question. When you have a well of your own, is there a gauge somewhere that tells you when the water level is getting low? We don't have this situation but our dd does and was just wondering. Hadn't thought to ask her about this!
  • 07-10-2012 5:37 PM In reply to

I just wanted to comment about some tap water I've had stored for at least six months or more. (it could be much longer than that; for some silly reason I did not label this particular bottle).

I just drank some of it and it tastes clean and pure. I stored it in a used water bottle (about 2 liter size) and kept it in a cool, dark closet. There are no 'floaters', or deposits of any kind that I can see. When I store water I always add a couple drops of regular, household bleach (per two liter...there are lots of places online that have this information).

Anyway. The jar of canned water was just an experiment. I'm very, very pleased with the bottled tap water and will continue to store water that way.

budgetwise

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us