Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Budget Moving Tips?

Last post 06-25-2013 2:18 PM by mattw. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-09-2012 12:47 AM

Budget Moving Tips?

What are some of your best budget moving tips/advice to help cut costs <we all know they CAN rack up HIGH> during moving? What's worked best for you?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 07-09-2012 12:56 AM In reply to

Re: Budget Moving Tips?

We just moved our DD for the 3rd time in 2 years. We did all of the packing and moving ourselves. My son rounded up a friend to help him and DH with the heavy lifting. The only thing it cost us was gas for the truck and food for everyone. When we moved into our current home 17 years ago we rented a U-Haul truck and then family brought their vehicles and we loaded up everyone's cars. We did all of the packing ourselves using boxes we had picked up at the grocery store. It saved us on making so many trips in the U-Haul. Again we bought everyone pizza and beer for helping us move.
    Riley
  • 07-09-2012 7:56 AM In reply to

BB, with your disabilities you may not be able to do everything yourself, but if you're not moving too far, rope in as many friends as you can to help you get everything moved and feed them one of your fabulous meals once you're done. Packing as much as you can yourself and utilizing friends is the least expensive way to go. You may also look around and see if there are any specials on rental trucks/vans the day you want to move.

Paring down what you need to move helps too.

Jill

• 07-09-2012 8:05 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

We found that renting a U-haul while expensive was cheaper than making many trips or paying gas for others to help us to use personal pick-ups to move the stuff.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-09-2012 9:38 AM In reply to

Thanks Everyone. Trucks/friends and discounted fee have been done in the past... always a good option and food included too but we always pay, we never expect that much labor to go by for free. We are okay paying and we have friends who are okay with "lower rates" ... Jilli, you are correct about my disabilities. I can barely even pack stuff on my own let alone deal with a move. This is the kind of scenario where help is critical or nothing much will be accomplished. TOP TO BOTTOM help, from packing to move to unpacking to organzing/arranging/etc. will be required and has been for many of my moves. Free boxes have been a great help in the past. Craigslist or dumpster diving is how me and my Mom have found some good ones... using towels and recycled paper goods for packing material helps too. Moving is the last thing I look forward to on the face of this earth. It's a complete chore. Whatever we can do within reason to cut costs will help though.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 07-09-2012 10:11 AM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 983

Hi BargainBinge!

I've moved a LOT over the years, and the best tip I ever got was when someone told me to call the wrestling coaches at the local high schools both where I was moving from and to and see if they knew of any reliable guys who would like to make some money helping with a move.  They were so fast because they are much stronger than your average friend.  I promised myself I'd pass that tip on!  I also found another student who was willing to help me pack and clean.  They all appreciated the income, and I really appreciated the help. 

I used thrift store sheets and blankets to cushion my lamps and things. They got pretty beat up, but I used them for a long time to cover my flower beds on frost warning nights in the fall.  Don't use the U-haul blankets (or thrift store ones) for your bed or couch.  They can spread bed bugs.

Free boxes are great, but I would also say that if you can find a good sale (esp. with the back to school/college sales that will be starting soon) on plastic storage bins, they are SO worth the $6-8/box when they save the contents from downpours and floods.  I recently lost everything in my garage that wasn't in a plastic bin and wished I'd "splurged" years ago.  The small medium size are easier to lift and store overall. 

I priced both U-haul and Budget rental trucks and sometimes the prices are better for one or the other depending on where you're going.  Be extremely careful with the loading ramp.  Someone in our group thought it was secured when there was actually an extra latch or notch that he didn't see and he had a very bad fall while carrying something.

Obviously, if there is stuff that you eventually want to get rid of, now is the time to do it since it allows you to rent a smaller truck and save that way.  I bought frozen lasagna for the last couple of my moves because it is good and hearty, cheaper than ordering pizza and doesn't require knowing where your pots happen to be at that moment.

Those are the best tips I can think of at the moment.  I know moving is daunting at any time, and especially daunting when you have health issues!  Take it one step at a time, one corner, one box at a time.  Have a large trash bag and a "giveaway" bag right there as you pack, and when the giveaway bag is full, put it in your trunk for the next time you pass a Salvation Army or Goodwill.  (Saves time and gas.)  Put on your favorite movies to distract yourself, drink lots of water, and realize that one day, it really will be done!!!

Oh, and Epsom salts are great for soaking sore muscles!

Praying for you!!!

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
    Filed under:
  • 07-09-2012 10:49 AM In reply to

Hi Mimi, thank you for the AWESOME answer to my post. You are spot on top of everything. I've had multiple moves and these tips are so helpful as I know from experience as well that they can really help. Thank you for this great feedback!!! Every move is a gamble between professional moving help or renting a truck and lower rate friend help. We have had stuff get damaged either way, never good. We have also been told one rate and in the end quoted a TON higher. How does 600 go to 900 with barely any changes in the move and time!?! This I will never know.. we have one close friend who helps us with random stuff for free but we always give him something in return. We are not okay with having people work and do ALL THAT HARD LABOR with their time used up and families to feed and take care of. My moves are an OBSTICLE not a quick and easy move, never have been or will be. People have gotten hurt, into fights, restless, walked off/left... and it has nothing to do with my Mom and I. They get angry, made at each other, miscommunicate, you name it both pros and friends. Men with big muscles but short tempers I guess. We have one pro moving company we love and have never manipulated us or caused problems. We'll probably call for a quote to get an idea for this move and then figure out what's going to work best.

Thank you for the advice and prayers! I do not know of the move yet as we have not bought a house now that ours sold but my Mom has her eye on one really bad. I get to see it today, very excited! I am planning ahead here. Packing will have to start soon, I will be getting major help there too. Thankfully the move will be VERY local.

• 07-09-2012 11:09 AM In reply to

BB,

I think the worst part of moving is the packing. The best advice I could give is to de-clutter before you move and make sure the boxes are clearly marked as to what room they go in. Our last move took us 2 days to move everything, unpack and set up house with 2 toddlers. It was a very smooth move because everything was labeled. I didn't have to go searching for my pots and pans or anything else.

Riley
  • 07-09-2012 11:14 AM In reply to

Riley, de cluttering and donating is the t bone steak of it all LOL I fully agree, that is what I am in the process of doing now... including today and have help from 2 people as well... must remove the last of my stoage stuff from our house that just sold. I am very depressed, it's very hard, our life was built in that house and now it's no longer ours. It's very hard to let go.

• 07-09-2012 11:17 AM In reply to

BB,

Just think of it as a new beginning. Also think about all the decorating you will be able to do. You will have a new blank canvas with the new house, lol.

Riley
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us