Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Sewing -- even of moccasin shoes! -- is making a come-back!

Last post Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:29 AM by re-tired. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 5 2012 12:16 PM

Sewing -- even of moccasin shoes! -- is making a come-back!

Dear Forumites, If the NY TIMES covers a trend, you know that it must be pretty big! https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=cm#inbox/13855c5da5334c34 *** Maybe some folks who have sewn their own foot-wear could chime in here? Yours in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 1:42 PM In reply to

Re: Sewing -- even of moccasin shoes! -- is making a come-back!

So happy to see this, Deborahmichelle. As a teen in the1970's it was quite popular to sew and customize your clothing. At that time it saved you money though-- not sure if sewing is cheaper anymore. Fabric and patterns are quite expensive. Still great for young people to learn the skills. Showing my age, but does anyone remember Tandy Leather kits- to make purses, wallets, belts, moccasins?

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 2:15 PM In reply to

I know I've been pinning instructions for moccasin and slipper making on Pinterest lately. The materials that are often recommended with the instructions are more expensive than I can manage (over $100/yard for wool felt!!), but I can get an old wool sweater from the thrift store, throw it in the washing machine on hot and make my own felt for a lot less. I can get bags of scrap leather pieces at Michael's for not too much, but I don't know if a patchwork moccasin would be very comfortable.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Fri, Jul 6 2012 6:19 PM In reply to

groverscorners:
    does anyone remember Tandy Leather kits

I sure do!  Showing my age...

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Fri, Jul 6 2012 8:11 PM In reply to

Again??!!!! oh gosh I must be old now this is back in style cindy and middle sister wore those cindy still wear her old ones she made 15 years ago.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jul 6 2012 9:39 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Crazy Crow has a good on-line catalogue.  For moccasin soles, do you know anyone who hunts larger animals?  Tawhide is easy to make.  Uppers can be made of cloth or buckskin.  You can also order artificial sinew from crazy Crow.  

Have to say I'm pretty good at cloth mocs, since GD usually has a pair for each dance outfit.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Sat, Jul 7 2012 12:51 AM In reply to

grame, do you have a pattern that you can recommend?
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Sat, Jul 7 2012 8:31 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

No, I was taught by my girlfriend who is Lakota, so mine are made 'old school' as she puts it.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Sat, Jul 7 2012 8:54 PM In reply to

sissy:

Again??!!!! oh gosh I must be old now this is back in style cindy and middle sister wore those cindy still wear her old ones she made 15 years ago.

yup again sissy try to make me old crud I am and proud of it woman I wear stuff out of style whoppie big deal they are comfie I get the leather solf elk and do the bootiy from a pattern and the regular street moccasaain.   They arre comfie.

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 7:05 AM In reply to

groverscorners:

So happy to see this, Deborahmichelle. As a teen in the1970's it was quite popular to sew and customize your clothing. At that time it saved you money though-- not sure if sewing is cheaper anymore. Fabric and patterns are quite expensive. Still great for young people to learn the skills. Showing my age, but does anyone remember Tandy Leather kits- to make purses, wallets, belts, moccasins?

I started sewing my own clothes as a teen, then branched off into accessories.  When our girls were younger, I did quite a bit of sewing - shorts, summer tops, simple skirts etc. Now that the DD's are older (14 and 20), sewing projects are usually wardrobe refashion projects.  Now I get my "sewing fix" by making accessories or upcycling something into a costume!  Sewing new garments isn't cheap anymore

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us