Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Exercise Challenge - Week 2

Last post 07-08-2012 11:21 PM by MamaJ. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-02-2012 7:54 AM

Exercise Challenge - Week 2

Good morning everyone!  I'm ready to start my second week of exercise.  This thread has kept me accountable and motivated to continue - thank you all for joining me.

Is there anyone else that would like to set a goal?  To be effective, they should have a goal and date you wish to reach that goal by. For instance - I want to lose a total of 8 pounds.  My current goal is to lose 3 by August 1st, 6 by Sept 1 and 8 by Oct 1.  I also have a goal of lowering my body fat by 5% by Oct 1.

Initially, I just wanted to lose 3 pound but the more I read, my ideal weight is closer to 8 pounds less than what I weigh now.  I'll just play it by ear and see how it goes.

I'd also like to set a food goal for the week.  No diet pop beginning today. The more I read about that, the more I want to focus on my healthy habits.  I've only recently begun drinking the stuff since May and am sure it's contributing to my headaches and restless leg syndrome. And I figured it is costing me $365 a year if I keep up my 2/day habit.  That's $365 more to spend on my grandchildren!

Today's workout will be on the treadmill (with two fans blasting on me!!!!). Goal - distance 2.082 miles and 352 / 264 calories (machine, actual).  I've decided if it takes me over 30 minutes that's ok as I think I'm going to hit some wall where I just can't pack it all into 30 minutes.

Ready, set, go!

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • 07-02-2012 9:50 AM In reply to

Re: Exercise Challenge - Week 2

Great goals, Grannie! Three pounds per month sounds very doable. What will you do to lose the weight? Do you count calories, follow weight watchers, etc.?

I did 30 minutes on my treadmill this morning. I generally strive for 40 but wasn't feeling quite 100% for whatever reason. Didn't have much appetite either, which is not typical for me! 

As for other goals, I'm going to do some thinking. I've been losing weight, but very slowly. We tend to go out more in the summers so it's a harder for me. I follow the weight watchers points plus program, but I don't go to meetings or follow online -- just doing it on my own. I haven't established any goal dates for my weight loss. Maybe for now I just want to maintain. But like I said, I'll think about it...

• 07-02-2012 11:41 AM In reply to

MamaJ:
    What will you do to lose the weight? Do you count calories, follow weight watchers, etc.?

MamaJ, I'm a lifetime WW member who fell off the wagon!  I used to attend weekly meetings at work when they were provided for by my company.  We only had to pay a very small fee ($10) for each 12 week session. When my employer discontiuned their support, we had to rely on our insurance.  Unfortunately, since my BMI is within range, my insurance will not pay for WW so I'm on my own.

I've been looking closely at my diet and know that my munching is doing me in.  I love salty snacks - pretzles, chips, Cheetos - but know they are empty calories so I'm not keeping them in the house.  My plan is to count calories but keep in mind the WW rules about veggies, fruits and such. I have an app on my phone, MyFitnessPal, that I use to track my calories.  I plan to be more diligent in tracking my food.  Just knowing that I have to record it makes me think twice about putting something unhealthy in my mouth.

I did 30 minutes on the treadmill today, 2.1 miles and 355/264 calories.  And it felt good!

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • 07-02-2012 2:45 PM In reply to

Hi every-one - walked 2 miles-yay I was able to walk outside today!  I didn't walk yesterday, but we did go to the pool for a bit in the evening - nothing too strenuous though.

My goal is to gain 5 pounds this month. I have to carefully balance my exercise - I need to do some, to rebuild muscle, but don't want to overdo, or I will burn too many calories. I am a runner, so I will for sure need to hold off on running for a while. Will just concentrate on increasing the length of my walks, and being intentional about eating 4/5 times a day.

SS

• 07-03-2012 10:22 AM In reply to

Stranger From The Sea:
    My goal is to gain 5 pounds this month

Good goal, SS!  Keep us posted!

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • 07-03-2012 10:25 AM In reply to

Well, with two fans blasting on me it was still a disgustingly, sweaty workout but I did it!

2.2 miles, 370/277 calories burned but it took me 31.10 minutes.  I'm going to have to consider extending my workout time to 35 minutes. I'll see how it goes this week. 

Anyone else?

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • 07-03-2012 12:52 PM In reply to

I ran 3.65 miles this morning. Pace 8.44 and burned 385 calories. Just about 30 minutes total. It was humid and warm (at 6:00, it was 80 degrees, ugh) but runnign with a friend helped.

As for goals, I exercise for long-term health benefits. I'm 36 and know that the more I make exercise a part of my life  the better my health will be in the long run. My weight is not an issue as I'm well within my BMI and healthy weight.

I also plan to walk inside with a coworker this afternoon for 15 minutes. We work in the state capitol and 5 laps inside is a mile (we can only do 3 in our 15 minute break) so I know I will get a little under a mile in additional exercise today.

Erika
  • 07-03-2012 1:03 PM In reply to

I posted today's exercise in last week's thread -- whoops!

40 minutes on the treadmill today and my core strength exercises!

• 07-03-2012 1:38 PM In reply to

Mamasjob - so jealous of your running! I used to run 5 miles a day. I need to be patient, I guess-baby steps.

Susan - thanks-I think it is a good goal. My Dr warned me that regaining after a big weight loss must be done slowly for optimal health. Apparently is is very bad for you to gain a bunch back in a short period of time.

Had to walk at the Y this morning as the air quality was poor again. Anyway, did 2.5 miles.

Cleaning the house from top to bottom-I think that counts too.

SS

• 07-03-2012 1:40 PM In reply to

Oh, and I don't know how you guys are doing it with weighing -in, but I will only weigh myself once a month, so I will post on August 1. I have a nasty tendency to obsess over numbers if I weigh myself every week.

SS

Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us