Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

People profiting from the disaster scare

Last post Mon, Jun 25 2012 5:52 PM by Cinnamonhuskies. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 24 2012 1:47 AM

People profiting from the disaster scare

There is a big ad in New York Magazine for "Cozy, Beautiful Cabins Fully Stocked For An Emergency." These are luxury units, all prepared to people to move in. They have to cost a huge amount, and they will provide survival for those who can afford it.

They are, though, also offering free cabins for former Navy seals, military medics, emergency room physicians and former special operations servicement and former elite Israeli soldiers. It sounds so ominous, and people indeed very frightened.

If you want to take a look at it, the site is PrepareAndProtect NYC.com

• Sun, Jun 24 2012 9:01 AM In reply to

Re: People profiting from the disaster scare

Only 2 hours away from NY?  What do they think will stop the bad guys from coming to take their stuff - the former Navy seals, special ops & former Israeli soldiers? How silly.

• Sun, Jun 24 2012 10:03 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

In a different thread on the forum about focusing on fear/end times, my answer was that dh/I do not listen to/read/watch that sort of doomsday "the sky is falling" fear mongering.  It's been a number of years now that the message of doom/disaster is imminenet.  

Logically, if one wants to be safe and TRY to avoid some sort of apocalyptic revolution that leads to a distopian society, one would need to move far away from any big city center--such as into the Canadian Northwest territory where there is little to no population.  Otherwise, it would be pointless.  

We choose to live in hope/light and not let fear and/or hate mongering color our daily lives. 

The survival cabins are a joke. 2 hours from the city?  Those cabins would be stripped of any thing of value in a true apocalyptic distopian society--IF the area was even still populated after a nuclear disaster or similar.  

It is typical fear mongering for proft, plain and simple. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sun, Jun 24 2012 3:45 PM In reply to

And if only the wealthy survive, who is going to do all the things they presently hand over for someone else to do for them? (90% of their services...or more). Why are they so interested in protecting former elite Israeli solders? Are there alot of those in NY? Just too ridiculous!
  • Sun, Jun 24 2012 3:54 PM In reply to

seaturtle:

There is a big ad in New York Magazine for "Cozy, Beautiful Cabins Fully Stocked For An Emergency." These are luxury units, all prepared to people to move in. They have to cost a huge amount, and they will provide survival for those who can afford it.

They are, though, also offering free cabins for former Navy seals, military medics, emergency room physicians and former special operations servicement and former elite Israeli soldiers. It sounds so ominous, and people indeed very frightened.

If you want to take a look at it, the site is PrepareAndProtect NYC.com

Hiya kiddo

I have been to one of them I didn't like it and when going to cabins like that whoa there the emt guys will have you last on the list and phone service and electricty which is sad but I was kinda looking for me in the past now its when s-h-t-f if you want to know what that is on utube it mean crap hits the fan magor bug out and these cabins are just for cabins that is it.

I would like one just for a vacation but when the shtf start praying that is it.

chrissanne
  • Sun, Jun 24 2012 5:54 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Cozy?  I'l say.  Look at the picnic tables and compare to the size of the luxery cabin.  A three month supply of food?  Uhmmm.  If the three month supply of food fits in that tiny little cabin, where are we going to sleep?  On top of the cans?  Just two hours from NYC?  The majority of people in NYC don't have vehicles so how would they get there?  Hop in the family limo?

Seaturtle, this should make you feel so much better.  From what you have written with what you have put back and your garden, I would say you are so much better prepared than the idiots buying these.

So glad you told us about this cause I sure did appreciate the really good laugh.

I do think we are going to see much more of this type of thing as the year progresses, so if an article or something is in the news makes you more anxious just fet a piece of paper and a pencil and write it down and do a little brainstorming as to how that fear can be proactively dealt with.

Instead of wasting time and energy worrying, give yourself a little test and save a little money.  During each season, flip the breaker and see what you don't have.  Winter?  Train those kitties to sleep on your feet.  Maybe one on your pillow to keep your head warm.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Mon, Jun 25 2012 7:18 AM In reply to

I was chuckeling at the site they have wood for heat and seeds for gardens. They are only useful if the family bought the place, planned to live on it long enough to plant & harvest a garden and learned what to do an a freezing cold day when the fire wouldn't take. From the looks of it if most of the familes from NYC went up there before hand to enjoy the place they would have to go on weekends & during vacations. Once the snow started falling they would have to risk getting snowed in either at the cabins or on the way there. Then again I'm from Upstate NY which would automatically disqualify me for one of those cabins...too bad a little know-how-to-do-on-your-own skill in those situtation could be the diffrent between life & death and discomfort & comfort.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Mon, Jun 25 2012 8:51 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

I know that when disaster strikes, the first thing I do is head to a cabin built to the specifications of a feng shui master.  Yes

Somebody must have taken a bath in rental property when the housing market crashed, so here's the alternate business model, I guess!

• Mon, Jun 25 2012 5:52 PM In reply to

these are for the people that think money really will solve everything.

SIMPLE:

Get out of debt.

Save cash.

Store some food and basic supplies.

Have alternative means of heating and cooking available.

Fresh water available.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us