Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Handyman Services: Payment?

Last post Sun, Jun 24 2012 8:48 AM by BargainBinge. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 22 2012 12:18 PM

Handyman Services: Payment?

I know a lot of you do not have to pay for random handyman services but to those who DO or have in the past: What do you pay/feel is fair wage for easy to moderate skill level odds and ends handyman services?  I am curious to see the variations of answers here. I know wages might depend on job tasks and per hour or overall set rates, etc.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Jun 22 2012 2:09 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Re: Handyman Services: Payment?

We have a go-to handyman. The first time we used him was to build a deck and he quoted us a price for materials, and then said his labor would be equal to the cost of the materials. He was by far the best bid we received. Subsequent tasks we've had him do, we've done the same thing -- paid him roughly the same cost as materials. (We've since had him do a second deck, install new doors, and install glass block.)

We usually end up doing any demolition ourselves beforehand, as well as significant cleanup, to help save costs. Our handyman is fine with that. We also have paid him a little above and beyond agreed when the job ended up taking him longer than he expected. (Our home is old and there are many non-standard sizes for windows, doors, etc.)

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 2:12 PM In reply to

If I knew the guy for a while sometimes we do barter some times just minamin wage.   If he is cute magjor cut then 10 an hour.

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 2:34 PM In reply to

Mama J... that's pretty intense handyman work! I had asked about small easy to moderate odds and ends handyman work where you set the rate your pay <ideally.."I have a job for you and I can offer X amount of money per job or per hour - kind of question> I'm trying to average figures here. I'm glad you have a go to handyman for big jobs like that! That is always a bonus. What do you pay for smaller jobs? Cindy wrote 10 per hour... We have paid anywhere from 10-15 per hour depending on the task and time... maybe yard work, fixing something, setting up a piece of furniture, hanging things, car cleaning, moving/haul/storage help, etc.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Jun 22 2012 3:26 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Let's see. We had him fix the hot water heater on our rental property and paid somewhere between $20 and $25 per hour. In this case we wanted to compensate for him stopping in the middle of another job and coming over within about a half hour of being called, so we paid more than we would have for scheduled work.

As for yard work and stuff -- we do that on our own. Neighbors generally just help each other out for the slightly larger jobs (hauling, moving). But I would guess that $10-$15/hour would be a going rate around here if you had to pay for help. 

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 7:31 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

I have a handyman whom I call every time I cannot fix anything at home myself. (That makes a lot of times...)

He comes within half an hour, on a Saturday night when he's at a huge wedding party (not his own!), brings workers from a city 20 minutes from here at nine o'clock p m and they all together fix the broken lock on my front door, the broken tap that can't be closed but with the main tap outside the house, the kitchen sink that suddenly sank below the counter - and what not!

The secret: immediate payment in cash

$25/hour

He drives and buys the necessary parts as well, and I pay for those parts too, of course, but they are usually cheaper than the cost of the work.

For me, this is a cheap investment. I save myself a broken back and lots of painkillers from the pharmacy... I figure bringing the handyman is cheaper!

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:41 PM In reply to

BB you got to get you some redneck buddies!  Mine work for food and beer and being able to watch NASCAR or football without a list of "honey-dos" starring them in the face. 
  • Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:50 PM In reply to

mtviolet:
    BB you got to get you some redneck buddies!  Mine work for food and beer and being able to watch NASCAR or football without a list of "honey-dos" starring them in the face. 

All we do at moms and dad's house we call the old cronee's yes the old fart redneck crew they love coffee and breakfast they helped dad put in a cement slap where the 5th wheel is on and they helped him with that and coffee waitress jokes with it and they got what they wanted and dad got help for free.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:54 PM In reply to

Helene:

I have a handyman whom I call every time I cannot fix anything at home myself. (That makes a lot of times...)

He comes within half an hour, on a Saturday night when he's at a huge wedding party (not his own!), brings workers from a city 20 minutes from here at nine o'clock p m and they all together fix the broken lock on my front door, the broken tap that can't be closed but with the main tap outside the house, the kitchen sink that suddenly sank below the counter - and what not!

The secret: immediate payment in cash

$25/hour

He drives and buys the necessary parts as well, and I pay for those parts too, of course, but they are usually cheaper than the cost of the work.

For me, this is a cheap investment. I save myself a broken back and lots of painkillers from the pharmacy... I figure bringing the handyman is cheaper!

Helene that is cheap and this guy is a sweet hheart to bad he is in isreal I can fix him up with cheapchic for a date.  lol just teasing there but yeah this is a bargin there usally we have to get parts and the handy man charges my arm and half a leg and no he can't have my antique truck from denmark.

chrissanne
  • Sat, Jun 23 2012 12:00 AM In reply to

LOL Violet, I can imagine! maybe if I was some hot babe... lol... I KEEP THEM CLEAR AWAY FROM MY MOM!!!

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us