Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

ISO special pasta salad recipe

Last post Sun, Jun 24 2012 8:50 AM by BargainBinge. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 20 2012 2:22 AM

ISO special pasta salad recipe

There is a contest for the best pasta salad I want to enter. Since I know nothing about anything culinary, could someone steer me in the right direction

• Wed, Jun 20 2012 6:44 AM In reply to

Re: ISO special pasta salad recipe

Goodluck Sea, generally contests want your own creative recipes/imput so I won't bombard you with recipes/ingredients so you can focus on your own special pasta salad ideas and not spoil it for you but if you want feedback on go getters to motivate your creative flow then my votes would be for <I assume you mean cold pasta> Italian and Asian cold pasta dishes.

I know you like pasta. I know you like peanut butter. You can make a very lovely and creative cold Thai style pasta dish with those ingredients and other special additions of your choice.

My MUST haves for Italian would include fresh tomatoes and olives. My must haves for Asian would be sugar snap peas and water chesnuts. I lovet he crunch of both. Fresh bean sprouts to cold Asian pasta salads are like fresh parmesan to cold Italian salads... great toppings for finishing touches! All other goodies are based on whatever veggies are available and clever for a creative dish. I prefer my pasta salads to be meat free.

Cold pasta dishes are a big hit in the spring and summer. I really enjoy ones with fresh seasonal ingredients. Evoo and herbs make a nice toss too.If you are going for a seasonal cold pasta dish think of some of your favorite veggies and herbs, perhaps ones you are able to grow or get at the market around this time from local growers. These things can help build up that pasta dish. Make a list of everything and then pick ones that taste good together! Think outside the box. I am sure the contest will get FLOODED with your typical pasta salads like tuna... BLT ranch style... classic macoroni... Southwestern... and various Italian oriented ones. Those are all pretty typical. Give them something new and fresh - Seaturtle style!

I'd love to hear some of your ideas since you are the one entering the contest. I am sure you will come up with something fabulous. What is this contest about? where? prize?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Jun 20 2012 8:40 AM In reply to

Seaturtle, my favorite version uses rotini (spiral) pasta, chopped bell peppers (any colors), peeled and seeded chopped cucumber, shredded carrots, sliced green onions with tops or thinly sliced red onion cut into ribbons, a thinly sliced rib of celery, chopped radish (or thin slices cut in half), tiny grape tomatoes, sliced black olives, and a can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed).  Bottled Italian salad dressing with a little mayo added for creaminess works well for this, with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste, and any fresh herbs you like.  Sometimes I add a little fresh chopped jalapeno or banana pepper rings.  For a main dish, cubed poached chicken breast can be tossed in (I usually marinate it in a little Italian dressing first to mitigate dryness).  This needs to be chilled for several hours before serving, so the dressing can soak into the pasta and veg.  Have fun with it; there's no end to the different varieties you can make! 

BB, think I'll try adding the sugar snap peas next time myself; sounds yummy!  

Carol
    western NC
  • Wed, Jun 20 2012 9:51 PM In reply to

Mazie, sounds great... you should be entering the contest too LOL but in that case I must make sure there are room for 2 winners, Sea and you!!! Oh I love snap peas in pasta salads!!! They are one of my favorite things right now. I love to just munch away on them though, perfect raw snacks!!!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Jun 20 2012 9:57 PM In reply to

maziemom:

Seaturtle, my favorite version uses rotini (spiral) pasta, chopped bell peppers (any colors), peeled and seeded chopped cucumber, shredded carrots, sliced green onions with tops or thinly sliced red onion cut into ribbons, a thinly sliced rib of celery, chopped radish (or thin slices cut in half), tiny grape tomatoes, sliced black olives, and a can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed).  Bottled Italian salad dressing with a little mayo added for creaminess works well for this, with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste, and any fresh herbs you like.  Sometimes I add a little fresh chopped jalapeno or banana pepper rings.  For a main dish, cubed poached chicken breast can be tossed in (I usually marinate it in a little Italian dressing first to mitigate dryness).  This needs to be chilled for several hours before serving, so the dressing can soak into the pasta and veg.  Have fun with it; there's no end to the different varieties you can make! 

BB, think I'll try adding the sugar snap peas next time myself; sounds yummy!  

Mazie you can come over to my house and cook anytime! (:

I've been making and eating cold orzo salads this week. With diced cucumber, grated onion, diced tomato, cold, cooked tilapia fillet, dressed with a squirt of lemon juice and some doctored Italian dressing...a mixture of a little left-over Italian dressing with additional olive oil, vinegar and a generous sprinkle of salt-free Mrs. Dash's.  The second time around I added cheese and some diced cold cuts. I would have added black olives if I'd had some.

(:

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Wed, Jun 20 2012 10:15 PM In reply to

curlie q noodles

summer sauacage

half cut up cherry tomatoes

jack cheese

chedder cheese

onion white and the red

green pepper diced

mix all together pour on italain dressing stir again then put in fridge for a few hour serve cold.

chrissanne
  • Wed, Jun 20 2012 11:15 PM In reply to

Cold orzo is GREAT!!! I love a good Mediterrean orzo! Sorry, spelling is off!

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 7:29 AM In reply to

Seaturtle, you've got some great ideas here!  You should be able to make a killer entry.  Think I'll whip one up this weekend myself and use some of these new ideas.  I've never tried orzo, but I'm going to now!
    Carol
    western NC
  • Thu, Jun 21 2012 8:39 AM In reply to

Mazie, cold orzo is so delicious. Medetaranean <sp!>, Mexican and Italian do VERY WELL with it. If you like Med. try Greek olives, chopped Persian cucumber, cherry tomatoes, feta, fresh parsley, chickpeas/garbonzo beans and a sprinkle of fresh chopped mint! A bonus with marinated artichoke hearts...Toss with a nice evoo/lemon drizzle... Mexican: fresh cilantro, corn, black beans, cherry tomatoes, diced assorted colored bell peppers, spicy pepper or kick of your choice... a bonus if you can add grilled shrimp and top with fresh avocado! Adorn with spicy marinated veggie mix like you'd see at a taco salsa bar <carrots, cabbage, radish, hot peppers, etc> or shredded purple cabbage. How about Thai peanut with shredded carrots, daikon, bean sprouts, bits of broccoli, sesame seed and light sesame oil toss and toasted coconut flakes on top, yum. Oh and for the love of pesto... a cold Tuscan kale and white bean pasta salad is delicious with pesto and orzo or spirals. A drag it through the garden with bow tie shapes is nice too and very fresh. I have too many ideas in my head and at this point it's scaring me. Visions of one after another... random yummies like roasted baby beets served cold with orange poppyseed drizzle... crisp green beans... marinaded mushrooms... roasted red peppers... chocolate mint ice cream... okay now that is a distraction lol pasta overload, have fun

Whoops, I think we are all helping Sea cheat by playing the contest for her LOL I think we just need a big potluck pasta party please!

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 2:56 PM In reply to

BB, the Med version of the orzo is calling my name.  The cold roasted beets, too!  I love beets, but have never tried roasting them.  I'm going to look for some fresh baby ones and try that out.  Thanks for all the ideas; this turned into a really good thread!
    Carol
    western NC
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us