Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How much do you spend each day on food?

Last post Mon, Jun 25 2012 8:23 PM by cheapChic. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 3:55 PM

How much do you spend each day on food?

Hey y'all! We've been re-vamping our food budget since we're looking at taking on a new mortgage. I was wondering, how many of you keep a daily tab of how much you spend on food? I have been doing a loose weekly budget up until now but I am finding that it is soooo much easier for me to have in my mind "I have x amount of $$ to spend on all meals each day" when making my shopping lists. I know that everyone has a different price point for purchases..... and what is low for us might be high for other people or vice versa, but right now I am thinking that our budget would be somewhere around $29/day. We try to eat a paleo diet as much as possible, which really seems to drive our grocery costs out the window..... we are a family of 4.

SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 4:03 PM In reply to

Re: How much do you spend each day on food?

I eat mostly organic, very few grains, lots of organic fruit and veggies, only antibiotic and hormone free poultry and very little other meats. I can get by on $50 a week quite easily.

So that said, dividing by seven and multiplying by 4, I come pretty darn close to your $29/day for 4 people.

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 4:53 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Cali, let me make sure I understand what you are meaning.  You spend $29 per day times avg. number of days in a month being 30, so around $870 per month just for food???  I know there is a huge difference on food costs depending on where one lives, but wow!  That is just unbeliveable.  I'll check back to see if I  correctly understood what you meant, but for now, I have to try and get my chin up off the floor.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 7:07 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

That is hard to estimate.  I know how much I spend monthly on food...but the cupboard is never empty at the end of the month as I keep extra items stocked all the time.  

Household of 2 adults here.  Our daily servings: 5 lean proteins, 4 vegetable, 3 fruit, 2 grain/carb, 1 fat.  Other guidelines we follow: about 90% from scratch cooking, as "clean" as we can afford-->very little processed, premade, chemical laden foods, more beans/legumes than meat/poultry, a minimum of 3 wild caught fish meals weekly, no pop, little to no added salt or sugar, good fats such as canola oil and olive oil, whole grains, no carbs that contain the words bleached, unbleached, enriched, white in regards to flours.  

I budget and spend $375 average on food for the two of us but as mentioned previously this includes stocking up if there is a good price on items we use regularly.  

That comes to$12.50 daily for food for the two of us.  If we were a family of four that would be $25 daily--comparable costs to aloha's budget. 

It costs money to eat nutritiously. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:12 PM In reply to

$50 is what I budget food/lunch out/misc for a week for 2 people prior to this my budget was $75 to $100 a week which we ending up tossin out more. Each person's households will be different in say what u eat.. we don't eat beef or pork and dd is lactose intolrant so I purchase certain foods that you may not. Also here is what the FDA food cost plan for 2012

So for my house a family of 2 per month (age range 19-50) according to this budget above I would be under for the thifty plan

• thifty plan $376 
    • Low Cost $481
    • Mod $597
    • Liberal $748
    http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:48 PM In reply to

35 dollars per person here at momshouse me Im around 20 a week I eat at the deli 3 days aweek so for mom dad and cindy times 3=108 aweek x 4=456.00 there at the parents they are going to lower it to 400 dollars permonth why the cost of eatting out has gone up 12 percent here they only go out twice a month now and for me my pudget use to range up to 300 a month when dh was alive I had to buy alot of ensure until the price of the generic was good enough so now for me its 100 a month

chrissanne
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:50 PM In reply to

Cheap saw your email before I took her home and she said around 400 a month would be good for your food budget and this is the safe side I don't know the prices in california cindy really does they travel threw your state every year so she got an ideal so your house hold to be on the safe saide should be 456.00 dollars

chrissanne
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 9:02 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Can't believe those amounts.  Iam so below thrifty!!!  Buying in bulk, gardening and cooking from scratch is paying of more than I ever imagined.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 10:04 PM In reply to

Being out of work and on social assistance I only have enough money to spend about $150 a month for the 2 of us.  I drop in to the Salvation Army food bank 2-3 times a week for their bakery goods and I go to 2 food banks once each month.  They give out toiletries and dish soap as well as food items.  Today I went to the SA and they had no bakery items but got razors and a bar of soap and a huge bottle of shampoo as well as a bag of canned goods, -baked beans, chicken noodle soup, peaches, vegetable soup, tuna, corn,1/4lb of margerine, rolled oats, rice, 2 packages of ramen noodle soup mix,powdered milk, 2 tiny packets of baby cookies(choc chip) 2 tiny packets of granola squares.

YesterdayI went to Safeway to get a rotisserie chicken but got uncooked chicken instead.  It was $10 for a cooked chicken but the legs and drumsticks were on sale and I ended up getting 5 legs for $5.99 and 12 drumsticks for $6.01 which ended up being $2 more than the one chicken.  I knew that I would get more 2 person meals out of the uncooked chicken pieces than the cooked chicken especially as it is not really soup weather.  I also have soup in the freezer so don't need to make more.  I also needed mayonnaise and if you got a jar of Hellmans you got a free package of Lipton's Onion Soup mix.  I use that a lot so went for the Hellmans - it was on sale for $3.99 for the jar too.

I try and get deals all the time and take into account how many meals I can get out of purchases.  The last week before the cheque comes is always the leanest and I tend to run out of fresh produce and fruit before this date and it is scraping the barrel to get through at times.  I am so sick of tuna and spaghetti but if it is a case of eating or not eating then I just have to literally swallow it LOL.  Being diabetic as well if I miss meals I get extremely grumpy and unbearable to live with.  Don't seem to lose any weight being deprived though, wish it was so.  Guess because I eat too much starch eating bread every day.  I also eat cream of mushroom soup nearly every other day as part of my lunches or else my homemade soup which always has chicken noodle soup mix in it as well as lots of veggies but no real chicken (at the moment).  Sometimes it does have chicken in it.

Sally

• Mon, Jun 18 2012 10:11 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

There are regional differences in food costs as well as personal dietary preferences that come into play with the amount being spent.  And, it costs money to have a productive garden, to can/preserve foods, etc.  We spent a small fortune when we decided to do this--rototiller rental, dirt deliverd, fencing/posts to keep the deer out, cost of plants and/or seeds and that whole growing operation, pressure cookers, mason jars-lids-rings, freezer bags, sugar, pickling spices, etc. etc. etc.  We saved no $$ last year by doing this due to the start up costs.  Hoping this year will show some savings but our garden/harvest is scaled way back as it is just dh/I here now to do the work. 

If we were eating differently--like we used to--I know we would be spending less because I would be focusing on inexpensive carbs and cheaper meats; definitely wouldn't be eating as much fruit/vegetables daily either.  Cheap store bought bread versus the bread I now buy or sometimes bake. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us