Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Rain Barrels------Do You Have One?

Last post Tue, May 27 2014 6:30 PM by Linda Cecil. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 17 2012 4:22 PM

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Rain Barrels------Do You Have One?

Rain barrels can save money if you have city water. Does anyone have rain barrels? Do you like them? Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sun, Jun 17 2012 4:31 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Rain Barrels------Do You Have One?

Water coming off the metel garage roof into a gutter with a large attached hose that goes into a 500 gal water hauling tank set on cedar posts with pieces of steel girders from one post to the other.  Another hose with a cut off valve is used to get the water from there to buckets.  Not a barrel, but it works.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Sun, Jun 17 2012 9:35 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Grame, Im impressed. I want one too. I have two thirty gallon rain barrels. They colaspe for winter. I like them, helps on the summer water bill. I want to get more or larger ones. Babs
  • Wed, Jun 27 2012 2:13 PM In reply to

• RAO
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 27 2009
    • Illinois
    • Posts 207

My husband bought me one this year for mother's day (and set it up for me).  It is our first rain barrel and since we have had hardly any rain at all, it has been very handy.  It holds 48 gallons.  It's surprising how quickly the thing fills up.

• Wed, Jun 27 2012 3:39 PM In reply to

Not a barrel exactly, but I have a couple of 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans that fill with water from the downspouts.  I prefer the cans to barrels, because I can remove the tops & dip out the water into watering cans, which works better for me.  The garden is not far from the cans, so it works. If I have no where else to use it, the cans are one place I can put the gallon of water I collect from the kitchen faucet every time I need hot water.  Apparently my "pipe capacity" between the kitchen faucet & the water heater is almost exactly one gallon. Early & late in the season, when I don't have a lot growing that needs watered, the excess "Catch" can be dumped in the water cans, to wait for when it is needed.

• Wed, Jun 27 2012 5:04 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Zonner, my kitchen sink is about a gallon til the water gets hot too.

My rain barrel has a zipper top so when it is full, I unzip and fill up empty milk jugs. Babs

• Wed, Jun 27 2012 6:14 PM In reply to

• RAO
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 27 2009
    • Illinois
    • Posts 207

I saw a picture in which someone used old water heaters as  rain barrels.  I thought it was clever.  There were multiple heaters linked up by hoses, to fill in succession when the previous one was full.
  • Wed, Jun 27 2012 6:36 PM In reply to

Not exactly a barrel either ... we have those long tubes (not the vinyl kind, but some heavy plastic) that attach to the downspouts. We empty those into a 10-gal plastic box ... excess goes into a collection of jugs.

I also keep a large coffee can next to the sink to catch the dribs and drabs, and the water from the cats dishes..  In the winter, that goes to water the inside plants.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Jun 28 2012 10:41 AM In reply to

Rain is in SUCH short supply here, I have no outside spickot yet on the house, and we have an irrigation well in the field but its old and needs primed evry single use........I SO need a rain barrel!!

Dh still has 'stuff' out in the field that has not found a home yet...I was looking for a bucket the other day and found a few that still had rain water standing in them. I took them all all and watered some of the garden plants. I thought that I really need a rain barrel that I can tap off of easily. Right now our watering set up is not easy for me at all and dh has to do it unless i want to carry buckets from the bath tub.

I have no gutters anywhere, so it would be just free-falling rain.

I have a couple of 55 gallon plastic barrels.

Any suggestions?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Thu, Jun 28 2012 3:44 PM In reply to

you can line up your buckets under the eaves of the house to catch the runoff from when it does rain.  looks tacky, but it sure gathers a lot of water.
Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us