Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Do you have a family dinner?

Last post Wed, Jan 9 2013 2:44 AM by emily66012. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 9 2012 11:46 AM

Do you have a family dinner?

We just had our grandson with us for a week. We sit down to three meals a day at our kitchen table. He was amazed! We also have a tablecloth (no problem if it gets dirty...it's washable!) and cloth napkins. He loved it! I understand that when there are children around (we are retired) this becomes harder with different schedules, part time jobs etc.. But, maybe one meal a day together? Our grandson is 20 yrs. old and we had such interesting conversations while sitting at the table eating!
  • Sat, Jun 9 2012 12:29 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Re: Do you have a family dinner?

For 25 years, we ate our evening meals together at the table--sometimes a teen's work schedule or sporting event interfered but more often than not, we were eating dinner together.  For about 5 years, we got into the bad habit of eating while sitting in front of the idiot box, or computer, or reading.  Dh/I are now empty nesters and eat dinner together every night at the table.  

It makes a difference!  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sat, Jun 9 2012 12:53 PM In reply to

We sit down at table for breakfast and dinner every day. Lunches are packed and eaten at school/work. One of the boys will be absent now and then due to a work schedule, but otherwise we always eat together. If there is a school sporting event, we pack the meal and eat it picnic-style at or after the event.

SS

• Sat, Jun 9 2012 1:39 PM In reply to

We had dinner every night together until about 4 years ago when sporting events and work took over our teens lives. Today both of my kids work swing shift. DH and I have dinner together every night unless he is away on business.
    Riley
  • Sat, Jun 9 2012 9:24 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I just think at least the evening meal needs to be eaten at the table as a family.  IMO it helps build communication between all of us.  We aren't able to eat other meals together because of work and school schedules, so I think it is very important.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Sat, Jun 9 2012 9:32 PM In reply to

for both my brother and I at at the dinner table with my parents untill brotherr went off and got married at 25 me at 26but we all still sit at the table and eat all three of us my dad me and mom even the weenies sitting and begging or trying to beg they get nothing from the table they get the left overs..lol

• Sat, Jun 9 2012 11:35 PM In reply to

Breakfast is a grab and go thing, lunches are where ever you happen to be (work, school, home, out and about), but dinner is at home, at the table and eveyone knows what time it is.  always been that way and I can't see that changing any time soon.  

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:10 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

We don't sit down together for every dinner, especially in the summer when the youngest may not be home for dinner. We do try to do this regularly.

We have friends and relatives who eat at different times or in front of the TV.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 11:44 AM In reply to

Yes, almost every night is family dinner at the table. Weekends, we have breakfast and lunches, too. And once a week we have big family dinner (gramma, grandpa, aunts/uncles, cousins...).

When we do have scheduling issues, usually one of us is home to eat with the children. I find the best conversations about the day are from dinner time visiting!

Erika
  • Thu, Jun 14 2012 1:58 PM In reply to

Before my kids were on their own, we would eat dinner together every night, except for Sat., when my husband and I would go out, ourselves or with friends.  Sun. night was, and still is Family Dinner Night, where now, as grandparents, we alternate cooking every other week, with my son's family.  Eating together as a family brings conversation and good times.  It's a routine that fosters closeness, helps kids to be more articulate and accountable, and often times is the setting for much laughter.

As for my husband and I now...we eat together, but not necessarily at the dinner table.

Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us