Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Make This Meal: Tomato Sauce

Last post Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:14 PM by jayashiangel. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 8 2012 10:24 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Make This Meal: Tomato Sauce

I have stocked up on the cans of tomato sauce. I'd like to use some up for a meal. I was thinking of trying a homemade spaghetti but I'd like other ideas too.

So I have tomato sauce, basic ingredients, pasta, rice, basic vegetables and spices. This has to be a meatless meal.

So what can I make and what side dishes work with that?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 10:48 AM In reply to

Re: Make This Meal: Tomato Sauce

Brandy, something I recently did that came out REALLY good was a homemade Spanish brown rice using tomatoes <you'd use your sauce here> cooked WITH brown rice and Mexican spices to make a tomato spiced rice. I made it Spanish style by adding a fresh sautee of diced veggies... bell peppers, corn and onion are perfect for this. You can make it a one dish meal by adding black beans. Toss all ingredients together and you have a nice Spanish rice. If you don't want to use the beans in the rice mix then you can use them as a protein side. Hand smashed "non refried" black beans are a great side dish and can be kept very clean and healthy. <Pinto work well too>

Leftover rice dish makes a great filling for Mexican dishes like tacos, burritos, quesidillas, enchiladas, stuffed veggies, you name it ... fiesta salads... chicken tortilla and other Mexican soups... So this really is a winner dish. It's frugal, easy, versitale and often yields leftovers. Spanish rice, hand smashed black beans and a garden salad... that's my offer.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Jun 8 2012 12:26 PM In reply to

• Peanut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 17 2011
    • Suburbs of Boston, MA
    • Posts 141

Homemade veggie pizza

Baked beans in tomato sauce.

Bake veggies in it - just drizzle some oil over it all.  Better yet, grill the veggies, then spoon the sauce over & melt mozzarella over them!I

Add cream to make a creamy tomato sauce.

Make a spicy chilled cocktail sauce for a dip.

If you want to get really fiddly, reduce the sauce over the stove until it's tomato paste.  Take the tomato paste and make homemade tomato pasta dough, cut into your favorite shapes!  Very pretty!

Babbling regularly at PeanutsAlmanac.Blogspot.com
  • Fri, Jun 8 2012 2:48 PM In reply to

Peanut, creative ideas my dear!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Jun 8 2012 2:49 PM In reply to

Pizza thats the oldie but goodie for food..Stick out tongue

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 9:02 PM In reply to

Cindy, I am surprised to not see your tomato soup and grilled cheese to dip! Brandy could do a hearty or creamy tomatoe soup and grilled cheese sandwich lunch with that. Serve with carrot and celery sticks and fresh melon or grapes for dessert.

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 11:15 PM In reply to

Bargin suprised me too pizza came accross my mind the instant my fingers touched this key board... I do like grilled cheese and tomatoe sandwhich's or even tomatoe basil soup even fatazz green grapes.Stick out tongue

• Sat, Jun 9 2012 12:13 AM In reply to

Had you thought about turning some of it into a beverage? If you have a blender, I'd combine the tomato sauce with celery, parsley, herbs and spices and make a healthy, home-made version of v-8. It would not be a main course, but make a nice appetizer. (or along with breakfast instead of oj.)

I would certainly use it in meatless chilli, meatless vegetable soup, and a sauce to accompany scrambled eggs (  can't quite think of the name 'ranchos queveros'?) I know that's rediculously misspelled. But it's baked eggs and cheese topped with tomato sauce.

Here's a link for an odd recipe called "Tomato Quick Bread".

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Tomato%20quick%20bread

and here's another one:

HERB-RICOTTA TOMATO QUICK BREAD

"Breads leavened with baking powder and/or baking soda instead of yeast require no rising time and go from start to finish in less than an hour. Using tomato juice, sun-dried tomatoes, ricotta, and Mediterranean herbs gives this bread a strong Italian accent. Serve it with salads, egg dishes, or poached fish, or as a sandwich bread for a twist on the BLT these."

2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 cup tomato juice
    1 cup low-fat or nonfat ricotta cheese
    2 large eggs (or 1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute)
    1/2 cup oil-marinated sun-dried tomatoes, drained and minced
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1/4 cup minced fresh herbs, such as basil, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, oregano, chives, or lovage

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 5-inch or 8 by 4-inch loaf pan with non stick cooking spray and lightly dust with flour.

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper into a large bowl.

In a medium bowl, combine tomato juice, cheese, eggs or egg substitute, tomatoes, oil, and herbs; mix thoroughly. Add liquid mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack, then remove from the pan.

Makes 1 loaf
    Source: The Herbal Palate Cookbook by Maggie Oster and Sal Gilbertie
    budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Sat, Jun 9 2012 8:05 AM In reply to

Budettwise has some good suggestions too!

• Sat, Jun 9 2012 8:54 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    Mexican spices

Which ones do you use?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us