Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

2012 CSA's/CoOp/s

Last post Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:26 PM by spiderdust. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 5 2012 12:24 PM

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

2012 CSA's/CoOp/s

If you are part of a CSA, this will be the place to post  about it. Share how your works, your weekly box of foods. Any other information that you would like to share with everyone. Maybe someone is thinking of joining a CSA, your input will help with their decision.  Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Jun 5 2012 1:10 PM In reply to

• hjdeth
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 22 2011
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Posts 72

Re: 2012 CSA's

Babs,

I don't belong to a CSA, but rather a produce co-op.  Does that still qualify for this thread? 

We receive deliveries every 2 weeks, you have a choice of organic/conventional/fruit only baskets, and you pay when you receive your basket.  It is year-round, so while they source all they can locally you may still get non-local from time to time...not many bananas or pineapple grown in GA!

This week:  conventional basket ($15) Spinach, Peaches, Bananas, Corn, Snap Beans, Russet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Cucumbers, Navel Oranges & Romaine Lettuce; organic basket ($35) Organic Kale, Organic Lettuce, Organic Swiss Chard, Organic Peaches, Organic Bananas, Organic Spring Onions, Organic Potatoes, Organic Herbs, Organic Melon & Organic Strawberries; fruit only ($20) Seedless Watermelon, White Grapes, Blueberries, Peaches, Strawberries & Bananas.  The conventional & organic baskets are a bushel, the fruit only is 1/2 bushel.

Hannah

• Tue, Jun 5 2012 1:44 PM In reply to

• Peanut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 17 2011
    • Suburbs of Boston, MA
    • Posts 141

When I was researching CSAs, I found a lot of discussion about the options in my area (Boston) on the Chowhound website, on their forum boards.  They have boards for different areas around the country, so that might help someone on the fence about it.

I loved our CSA last year @ Farmer Dave's.  We bought the Spring Greens share, the Summer Choice ("pack your own box") veggies, Summer/Fall Fruit & Late Fall veggies.  The system had good & bad points. The spring greens share was HUGE...but by June, the rest of the family was ready to use the Bok Choy as toilet paper.  The summer & fall shares were a nice size, but I admit I didn't like using some of the more "novel" veggies included - it took too much time to figure out how to preserve them, and even more time finding ways my family would eat them.  The items we DID like, I found the quantities not sufficient to store efficiently.  So...this year I'm not going to buy a share.  The convenience of one veggie pickup a week was great, but not cost-effective.  I'm going to hit the local farmers market every Saturday over the summer, and visit the more distant farms for bulk purchases (bushels of sauce tomatoes, etc).  That way I can use my local produce $ most effectively, buying items my family definitely loves and buying enough to put it up for the winter, too.

Babbling regularly at PeanutsAlmanac.Blogspot.com
  • Tue, Jun 5 2012 1:53 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

I belong to a CSA for the first time this year -- first pick-up is tomorrow. I'm very excited to eat food that was grown two blocks from my house, at our neighborhood park/greenhouse!

We paid $252 for 15 weeks of vegetables. Our CSA also offers an all-volunteer option for 16 hours of work a month, and a 1/2 volunteer and 1/2 pay option, for $126 and 8 hours/ month.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up turnips, radish, swiss chard, salad mix, carrots, garlic scapes, and herbs. I'm going to saute the scapes with spinach for Scallops Florentine. I'll make bacon clapshot with the turnips (it's basically mashed potatoes and turnips with bacon). As for the chard, I think I'll saute it with tomatoes and olive oil... 

I'd love to hear about anyone else's new recipes... 

• Tue, Jun 5 2012 2:01 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Hannah, please join in. I edited the post to include Co ops, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 4:01 AM In reply to

Re: 2012 CSA's/CoOp/s

Hi.  I am a new CSA client this year.  I'm really excited.  My mother came with me for the first pick up.  The kale and the brocolli was marvelous.

coolchinchilla

A small zoo is cool!
  • Wed, Jun 13 2012 2:36 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

My son helped harvest at the CSA this morning! He picked and washed turnips and radishes. I can't wait to get home and check everything out!

• Wed, Jun 13 2012 3:26 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

there's one in town that we belong to our full share to the assisted livning group

because we are a farm we planted them a huge garden again this year DH  puts gardens in everywhere the sheriff and his staff have a huge one the extra produce goes to feeding the prisoners .. Sheriff makes them work it he said they don't want to fight when you tilling about your tomatoes .. he sents them with a guard to till  folks who cant  the librairian were surpized when a jailer brought them stuff .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Jun 13 2012 3:40 PM In reply to

This is our second year with our CSA. We paid $300 for our small share, every 2 weeks we get to pick up our share from either the grocer parking lot 2 blocks away or we can drive to the CSA farm (which is 12 miles away, we obviously pick up at the parking lot). It goes through October 1st so it's about 15 weeks (we will get 8 shares).

They set it up like a farm stand and you "shop" for your share. You are able to trade at the end of the line so if you don't want beets, you can put in a box and take what someone else traded (we did this last week and got extra head lettuce).

We are very happy to have this option as our yard is not (1) large enough for a garden and (2) is northern exposure so not enough sun. Plus, the benefit of organic/pesticide free growing is attractive.

Erika
  • Wed, Jun 13 2012 4:50 PM In reply to

• Abbie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 26 2008
    • Posts 140

MamaJ - I just made this soup (with a lot left out) and it was very good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tuscan-chard-and-cannellini-bean-soup/detail.aspx

I didn't use the bacon, nutmeg, red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, cheese rind, sage or basil.  I used two cans of beans and extra Swiss chard.  I used cooked rice I had in the freezer in place of the small pasta.  I topped the soup with Parmesan but not olive oil.

When I see all I didn't use in the soup, I'm not sure I can say I made this recipe.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us