Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Refrigerator Cleaning

Last post Wed, May 30 2012 10:57 PM by cheapChic. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 30 2012 2:11 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Refrigerator Cleaning

It's time to clean the fridge! Especially if there are green things...and those things can't be called vegetables or fruits.

Where do you begin with this project?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, May 30 2012 8:08 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Re: Refrigerator Cleaning

Unless there has been a spill, I wait until the fridge contents are sparse, usually.  I begin by removing all items from the fridge.  I then remove shelves and drawers. I wash the shelves and drawers and let air dry on towels on the counter top.  While they are air drying, I wash down the interior with a very mild bleach and warm water solution, then towel it dry.  I put the shelves and drawers back in.  I wipe off any messy bottles/jars, and everything goes back into the fridge. 

I've learned to this every month, or more often if there has been a spill or it's looking messy--so much simpler than going for weeks/months in between. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Wed, May 30 2012 8:44 PM In reply to

"Especially if there are green things...and those things can't be called vegetables or fruits."

Ummm Brandy, dare I even ask what you mean by this??? Green things...YIKES. I am hoping you were kidding lol

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, May 30 2012 9:17 PM In reply to

Brandy, have you been watching me? Big Smile It's funny that you pose this question:

I am literally trying to use up everything in my fridge and freezer. Then I plan on giving it a good scrubbing and bringing in some new stuff.

Mind you, I'm talking about a small apt. fridge. 

Pull out all the shelves and the veggie bin, scrub with soapy hot water and when all done put in a new container of baking soda.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Wed, May 30 2012 9:22 PM In reply to

I clean out the fridge each week before garbage pick up day. I throw out any leftovers that have not been eaten that week and any veggies that are past their prime. I will wipe up the shelves if they need it and wash out the bins where the fruits and veggies are kept. This keeps things from becoming a science experiment.
    Riley
  • Wed, May 30 2012 10:15 PM In reply to

A sanitary fridge is CRUCIAL. I can't stress this enough. Riley's wording of "science project" made me laugh and cringe at the same time. I would hope folks would never let a fridge turn into a science project LOL A good scrub down is always lovely and wipes in between are swell. I do what BW does too and put in a nice open container of baking soda. It's like the concept of going to the car wash and putting a fresh new air freshener in your car after... fun and clean!!!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, May 30 2012 10:54 PM In reply to

I hate those big freezers to clean inside is a nightmare with mild soap and water after the defroast then the wipe down three sometimes four times gee hate it but it all needs to be done just like the fridge same thing but I have an ocd thing on the fridge if its not clean whoa I have a fit then the process starts then when its cleaned up all inside then the out side clean water mild soap again that was not to bad but when it comes to the back I remove the grill thingie in the back vacum it down from dust quick wipe then attach it back then the real night mare begins under the frige uggg moving that I swear I pull a mucsle or find I ache from muscles I didn't even know I had the defrost pan is cleaned and a magore floor clean the dirt from the dust is totally alutimitly so gross I want to up chuck from it thats how come I am so picky about things like that done a few times a year so I can keep up with it and easier for mom which poor lady I drive her batty with cleaning and she is cleaner then I am but when kitchens and bathrooms are concerned about I am totally.

• Wed, May 30 2012 10:57 PM In reply to

BB,

When I was working every once in awhile something would get lost in the back of the fridge and let me tell you I didn't even bother to open the lid, I just tossed the bowl and contents in the trash. I am another one that puts a box of baking soda in the fridge. I also go through the condiments and toss the ones that are questionable.

Riley
  • Wed, May 30 2012 10:57 PM In reply to

BargainBinge:

"Especially if there are green things...and those things can't be called vegetables or fruits."

Ummm Brandy, dare I even ask what you mean by this??? Green things...YIKES. I am hoping you were kidding lol

Bargargin is that the little green men that jump over pot of gold and have shamroks in the hat and now they live in the fridge hmmmm got to tell ireland to leave the eight legged critters by the pot of gold with the rainbows thing if thats in the fridge then Im so out of here then...

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us