Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Cheap Way to Decorate Little Girls Room

Last post 06-11-2012 11:21 AM by Chrallen. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-29-2012 7:20 PM

• cfeist
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2012
    • Posts 3

Cheap Way to Decorate Little Girls Room

My three girls (1,4, and 5 1/2) are about to sharing a room (master bedroom in an apartment). They have bunk beds and a custom wood toddler bed. Both of which I can paint. I cannot paint the walls. I am looking for a way to make it bright and fun. Curtians HAVE to have a white back. I have seen some of those bright colored round chinese laterns that I can hang with pretty ribbon at different lengths. What other ideas? I am a single mom with not alot to spare but I want them to have a room they are proud of. TIA
    Frugal Single Mom of A (5), K (4) and G (1)
  • 05-29-2012 7:56 PM In reply to

Re: Cheap Way to Decorate Little Girls Room

Go to the thrift shop pick up a roll of wall papper make it accordian fan like and put it on the dresser you get the idea fro www.favecrafts.com simple and easy even your 4 year old can joing in or www.craftcental.com or www.kaboose.com those are the ones I can remember on top of the head for now.

And welcome to the jungle or zoo we monkeys tend to have to much fun at times join in anytime you want.

• 05-29-2012 11:17 PM In reply to

I CALL THIS DECOR ON THE DOLLAR!

Take a trip to your local Dollar Store. Kids LOVE dollar stores and they are CHEAP. If you have a creative eye you can really score some GREAT decor on the dollar.

Things to look for:

Wall cut outs/boards like the kind they have at daycare/preschool/school. Go with a theme. They can be hung with putty that will not harm the walls.

Spring/summer garden supplies and fake flowers... Let your girls pick out strands of fake flowers to make their own special bouquet and stick them in a seasonal planter box/basket or non breakable vase. They will feel special knowing they made their own pretty flower basket or vase! Another cute idea for planter boxes is poking pinwheels in them and placing in the windowsill, very cute. They sell that foam stuff to stick them in at the dollar tree.

Who doesn't love a LUAU??? DId you know those adorable flower leis sold in multi packs can be grouped together in long strands and hung like beaded curtains? How perfect this would be for that bunk bed!!! They also work well in the doorway, window or even hung from the wall.

Glow in the dark wall stars and stick ons. Kids love the way this looks at night... Put them on the ceiling and sides of the walls.

COLORED LIGHT BULBS - FOR SURE!

Party supply section - check it out, you never know what kind of little princess stuff you will find.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 05-29-2012 11:18 PM In reply to

Don't forget a space to display their art. Kids want this, love this and need this. They take pride in their art... a cork board is great. Some have ribbon to hold pictures, those are safe and no sharp objects.

Some of the best chefs cook from DIY cardboard kitchens... got plain cardboard boxes around? decorte them to look like stoves... microwaves... fridge... etc and let the little chefs use their big imaginations

Baskets - kids love baskets for their toys... princess supplies/dress up... belongings...

THE SNUGGLE BOOK CORNER... floor pillows and a small bookcase if they have one - create a sacred space you all can cuddle with floor pillows and a few stuffed toys

Some of the growing ones really dig growth charts - can be put on the back of the bedroom door

Hanging monkeys... blow up beach balls... there is fun to be had!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 06-11-2012 11:21 AM In reply to

Do you have a theme in mind?  If you are going with a character or animals you could buy a calendar with the theme and tear the pictures out to put on the walls or glue them on to storage containers.  Since the year is half over you should be able to get one very cheap.  Many people sell vinyl decals on ebay that don't harm your walls in a variety of patterns.  I have bought some for $1 before and they took the paint off my walls.  I may have just had bad luck.  I was able to get one with my daughter's name. 
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us