Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Downsizing your suitcase, what will you eliminate?

Last post 06-27-2012 11:25 PM by miss_super_saver. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-28-2012 11:02 AM

Downsizing your suitcase, what will you eliminate?

Summer is coming up and with it, a desire to take a vacation. Recently there a has been attention to carrying a lighter suitcase when travelling on airplanes.

It may also ease the burden of carrying too much luggage on a road trip, train trip or cruise ship.

Have you reduced the number of items in your suitcase? 

• 05-28-2012 3:12 PM In reply to

Re: Downsizing your suitcase, what will you eliminate?

A resource that I use a lot when packing is the onebag.com website, especially the packing list. I also take into account whether or not I'll have access to a washing machine where I'm going and try to make my traveling outfits as basic as possible.

Recently I stumbled across this article, and it has made a HUGE difference in how much I can fit in one suitcase: Pack Your Suitcase As Efficiently As A Flight Attendant

In regards to what I try to eliminate, I unfortunately have to bring my own conditioner and body wash. I have really thick curly hair and dry skin; the soap in hotels dries out my skin horribly and many times the hotels don't supply conditioner. Sometimes I have left toiletries at home and purchased them at my destination in order to save on space or to avoid any issues with security (especially back when we couldn't take ANY liquids at all).

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • 05-29-2012 9:36 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Thankfully, my trips are just across state line in a vehicle to my parents. I wash while I am there so I don't need exess clothes.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 05-29-2012 10:43 AM In reply to

Reduced the size of my suitcase? Sadly it's most like reduce the suitcases first.

I am not a mindful packer and no longer travel but if I did I am one of those real hassle people when it comes to luggage, lol.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 05-29-2012 12:07 PM In reply to

Like a PP, I take into account if I have access to laundry when traveling.

When we traveled in March by plane, we checked one bag and carried-on the rest. We only took clothing absolutely necessary (had laundry services so packed 3 changes of clothing plus swimsuits). We used the "TSA approved" bottles for necessary liquids we had to carry on (special soap for our skin and my contact solution especially). All other liquids were packed in the checked bag. I knew we could purchase everything at a Target or Walgreen's but didn't want to spend the money as it would add up to more than the $20 bag fee. I packed sunscreens (multiple bottles), body lotion, diaper creme, shampoo, hairspray, toothpaste.

Each child had one bag to carry-on. DH and I each had a larger bag (still within the applicable measurements) plus our "purse" which was a back pack we stowed under the seat. We gate-checked the stroller and car seat (free).

When we travel by car, we also pack light so we can fit everything in the cargo area. One bag for DH, one bag for me. The 3 kiddos share a large duffel. I have a tote bag with extras (books, games, electronics) I keep in the car area plus a travel cooler for inside the car area for drinks/snacks. Stroller and portable crib are also in the cargo area (can't wait until we don't need those anymore!!!). We often take quite a bit of food so a large cooler has to fit in the cargo area as well.

Erika
  • 05-29-2012 1:05 PM In reply to

My big luxury is travel but for the past 10 years or so I've gone with just one carry-on no matter how long the trip is. I got the first tips on how to do this from Rick Steves' website. By now I've gotten things down to my own preferences. I've traveled with this for up-to 3 weeks and could have been gone indefinitely. I make sure the pajama pants and a couple of shirts are at the end of their useful lifespan (and they were from thrift stores anyway) so they can be donated before the return trip to make room for a few small souvenirs. I wear my sturdy hiking boots if they are coming along. If I'm taking a 2nd pair of shoes, they are stuffed with my undies (mom got me 3 pairs of microfiber undies as a gift a couple of years ago and these are great for travel) and a pair or two of socks to save space and help the shoes keep shape. I do a great deal of walking so good shoes are important, as are premium socks like smartwools (can wear them 2-3 days without washing). I wear the heaviest pants, a t-shirt (which will be the travel pajama top), and sweatshirt (if taking) or overshirt or sweater and a jacket onto the plane even if it is too warm as I'm getting on. That way it doesn't count toward the carryon total. I carry a very flat purse that fits a water bottle and is just big enough for a file folder to fit vertically. It doubles as a brief case for business trips. Fortunately, I work in a field where cotton trousers are fine for conferences and meetings and bring one brown pair with 3 different coordinating tops/shells. I go for the silk tops because they are thin and pack small...and rinse out easily in a sink. I wear brown because black doesn't suit me and my best shoes are brown, but black would work for most other people. I bring 1 hair brush, 1 comb, and since I wash my hair with baking soda or salt and do a vinegar or lemon juice rinse, brush my teeth with baking soda or salt, I can skip the toiletries almost entirely. In a pinch I can get salt and lemon juice packets from a restaurant. On longer trips I pick up sea salt and a lemon or two on arrival. I also pack a neti pot and a bar of solid lotion, usually shea butter based rather than coconut oil as the shea butter stays solid and doesn't count as a liquid. Once all that is in, I throw in a microfiber towel, a gallon size ziplock bag (for doing bits of laundry or packing wet things), and a stretchy clothes line I got from Rick Steve's website, but any bit of rope will do. If there is more room, a couple of colorful scarves and a bandana or two go in. And of course, the phone charger...a must have. I stopped taking my laptop. For entertainment, I take a magazine or old book that can be left behind.
  • 05-29-2012 11:19 PM In reply to

For 6 days I can do this we are a family use to reduce during moves doing with less because the moveing company charged by the poundage when moving around the country this is what I packed.

1. 4 pants=3 why I wear the 4frth

2. skirts

3 4 shirts the fourth I wear

4. one blazer

5.3 pairs of shoes I wear the third pair

6. underware and sling shot and socks and hose

7. toiletries

8.small amount of make up

9.over sized tee to wear as a night gown

1o three lite cardigan

11. oe wind breaker

12 one heavey sweater that I wear on the plain 

13 tsa clear zip lock bag with approve stuff in it

14 jewelery

15 never waist space I carry one umbrella  the short stocky one goes in a purse

Thats all cramed in a bag for 6 days and no screwing around with the airport hate those guys I take my case with me on the plain place it all under the seat all in one bag cool for me I learned to do that from mom she taught all of us to do that we were no mads when young.

chrissanne
  • 05-29-2012 11:23 PM In reply to

Lori Blatzheim:

Summer is coming up and with it, a desire to take a vacation. Recently there a has been attention to carrying a lighter suitcase when travelling on airplanes.

It may also ease the burden of carrying too much luggage on a road trip, train trip or cruise ship.

Have you reduced the number of items in your suitcase? 

I got a question for you why did you ask us this one if you go on a ship make sure you hide pass port and driver liesance thefts go on that all the time never been on a train or gray hound I travel by car or air floght and your poundage if going threw tsa I think its 30 pounds maybe less learn to pack lite then you have it made.

chrissanne
  • 06-27-2012 11:25 PM In reply to

I traveled 15 years ago on 3 week long trainings using a suitcase and two carry sized bags by washing stuff at the hotel. I purchased a large mesh bag to cart stuff through hotel to the laundry. I still have this bag today. It's funny as some trainees had 3 full suitcases. One man's wife FedExed his clean clothing weekly while husband shipped dirties home by FedEx. Add plastic hangers + mesh lingerie bag if you need to drip dry stuff in shower. For trips this long, a stop at the local Walgreens, Dollar Store or Walmart is the best value for toiletries. Get some snacks, beverages and fruit too as vending machines in hotel are rip off.

As I traveled more on business, it was business casual. I would iron and lay flat all pants/skirts. Fold up all shirts in 1/2 so arms were inline, lay this on pants. I rolled up 2 workout outfits, swim suit, pjs and shirts that did not wrinkle placing on top of pile. I would fold the ends of pants/skirts back over suitcase. Shoes wrapped up in plastic sacks were stuffed with socks/hosery and shoved in corners. Best to keep it to 1 extra pair of dress shoes + workout sneakers. Underthings went into see-through section of suitcase lid. I added my large mesh bag to keep dirty stuff separate.

Traveling with smaller suitcase required some reruns: 1 sweater worn on plane if you can get away without wearing a coat to airport/on trip, 1 extra pair of shoes, easy on/off shoes worn onto plane. Plan to wear every other item twice. Wash out underthings and rewear - plastic hanger w/few clothes pins helps a lot for this. Kinda dressy black knit tank dress works nicely if you may be going to theatre, bars or business dinner - add a noticeable jewelry piece. Unless this is work related, you know there is no point to any other makeup than lipstick so you don't have to carry around all your cleansers. Investing in a few $1 mesh rollers saves a ton of room /money for currency converter if used with damp hair and hair dryer if you want curls. Most hotels offer a hair dryer so leave rollers, flat iron and curling iron at home. Add a couple of hair bands and clips too.  Do you need more than 2 swim suits, MAX? Chose a very limited color scheme so everything can be interchanged. Folded up nylon jacket shoved in outside pocket of suitcase will save the day.

Christine
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us