Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Rationing the Food

Last post Sat, May 31 2014 8:44 PM by Hatvany. 33 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 27 2012 8:36 AM In reply to

Re: Rationing the Food

I ration meat and sweets. Sweets are actually harder to ration. LOL I ration them by just not making them all that often. I try not to ration fruits and veggies and most of the time I don't. I find it easier to ration when I plate the food myself. With sweets there is easier access so when they are gone, they are gone. When milk was $4/gallon I really rationed it. When we are low on meat I stock up on sides -- a little extra rice, a slice of homemade bread or cornbread, an extra optional veggie (such as zucchini or cucumber chips, carrot sticks, sliced tomato); then I plate a few extra slices of bread for the table. I'm guilty of this too but I find people will take seconds of stuff that is right in front of them rather than get up and go to the kitchen for something.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sun, May 27 2012 1:08 PM In reply to

My seven kids are aware of how much is served family style and self ration a reasonable amount. I serve plates of food from the bottom up, to the preschooler first, to make sure the little kids have enough food and enough time to eat. We eat lots of rice, beans, bread, pasta, the cheap and filling stuff.  I try to serve enough produce but find this is expensive, for few calories, so try to buy the most nutritionally dense, bananas and tangerines and carrots over celery and lettuce.  Salad seems very expensive for not a lot of nutrients, it has become a less common side to the cheaper frozen vegetables or carrot sticks.

We do make lots of sweets, I have been doing more banana bread and oatmeal cookies, less chocolate as the price of chocolate chips and cocoa keeps going up. Use a bunch of my grandma's recipes! Cheap to make the cereal bars with corn flakes, corn syrup, and peanut butter, rather than a fancier dessert.

• Sun, May 27 2012 1:18 PM In reply to

• itsmi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 5 2007
    • Posts 126

I use the portion control method. I do the grocery shopping, cooking, pantry management, and meal planning so I get to put the food on the plates and control the leftovers that go into the refrigerator/freezer.

MaryB

http://marysdepressionerarecipes.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, May 31 2012 6:23 PM In reply to

• pirategirl
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, May 21 2012
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 17

I live in NC in the US and have found the foam dispensers at Bath & Body Works on the 75% off rack.  I use their soap that comes in it then I save the bottles to reuse.  I have so many right now...could mail you a couple if you are somewhere postage won't cost me a fortune!  

Love & Peace,
    PirateGirl <3
  • Thu, May 31 2012 10:16 PM In reply to

Pirate girl-

we use those, just bought 4 for the summer, on sale! They are nice and the soap lasts a while.

• Fri, Jun 1 2012 10:11 AM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

pirategirl:

I live in NC in the US and have found the foam dispensers at Bath & Body Works on the 75% off rack.  I use their soap that comes in it then I save the bottles to reuse.  I have so many right now...could mail you a couple if you are somewhere postage won't cost me a fortune!  

Smile Sure could need that over here, in Israel, but the postage d o e s cost a fortune from the US to over here... (I know, I checked out a solar oven from an American company, and the price was reasonable --- but the postage cost would have been three times the value of the content!!!) Your kind post was helpful anyway!  Now I know where I can look and what to look for! Thanks!

• Fri, Jun 1 2012 10:27 AM In reply to

I ration my milk. I drink organic milk in my coffee every morning. If I find that I can't use the entire 1/2 gallon before it goes bad, I freeze the remainder in an ice cube tray and store them in the freezer in a freezer bag. I use these cubes (2 at a time) in my oatmeal to cool it down and add extra nutrition.

Susan in Mi

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Fri, Jun 1 2012 11:07 AM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

zohnerfarms:

Helene:
    I did recently try to mix grated soap with hot water and then fill it in a foam dispenser.

If you save the small "ends" of the soap, when it is small enough to break into pieces, those work well to mix with water to use in pump dispensers. It will be liquid soap, not foam, but it will work.  You can also use the last little bits of shampoo or liquid dish soap, by adding an equal amount of water to what is left in the bottom of the container, swishing gently, so as not to produce too much foam/suds, then pouring it into the pump dispenser. One more way to stretch those pennies!

Thanks, Zohnerfarms, I'll do that too! Truly, every little bit helps!!! And it is so unnecessary to waste those little bits and ends, because all together they add up...

cheapChic, thanks for sharing your experiences and those of your mom's! I hope you'll never have to experience that ever again!

• Wed, May 28 2014 7:54 PM In reply to

• Hatvany
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 27 2012
    • Posts 4

Pirategirl:

I could use a couple of the dispeners you talked about in the Dollar Stretcher community on Rationing the Food.  I live in New Mexico.  I could use it for soap and shampoo and dish soap

Hatvany

• Wed, May 28 2014 8:10 PM In reply to

• Hatvany
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 27 2012
    • Posts 4

I am in the process of writing a Home Economic Course basicly to use for my son whom I home school but will share with anyone who wants it when it is finished.  I am looking for information from before 1950 and recipes from before 1950 also.  If anyone has anything they would be willing to share I would appreceate it.  I will also make sure the information that I get from anyone is creditid to them in the curriculm.  

Thanks for any help I can get.

Page 3 of 4 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us