Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Rationing the Food

Last post Sat, May 31 2014 8:44 PM by Hatvany. 33 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 24 2012 3:37 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

Re: Rationing the Food

zohnerfarms:

Helene:
    One less bar of soap = one more bag of milk...

Helene, you do know that if you unwrap the bar of soap & let it dry out before using it, it will last a lot longer, don't you?  One way to make the $ stretch a little further.

Thanks zohnerfarms! I'll go and take the wraps off the bars immediately!

I did recently try to mix grated soap with hot water and then fill it in a foam dispenser. It really saved me 1/2 the amount of soap! Then the foam dispenser broke, and I don't know where to find a cheap substiture for it! (The one I had was originally for hand sanitizer bought at the pharmacy for 10 shekels, and I don't want to pay that amount again for a dispenser, if it is to break again in as short a while as this one did.) Does anybody know where to get these foam dispensers for cheap??? I would be grateful for any advice.

• Thu, May 24 2012 3:44 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 721

Yes, cheapChic, I know... Germany after the war was possibly as bad or worse than the rest of Europe, though I read (on a link here on TDS) that hundreds of thousands of Greek people died from starvation as well... The food rations were truly minimal and barely made people survive...

I also know people who were prisoners in different death camps during the war, and the food they got... and the hard work... and the round calls where they had to stand up for hours... and the illnesses like typhus and dysentery... and the treatment of the prisoners in the camps... 

Starvation is a hard thing whenever and wherever it occurs.

It is good for us not to forget about those days, and we shall hope that they never reoccur!

As well as try to help people in need anywhere, who may be too shy to ask for help......

• Thu, May 24 2012 4:34 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Helene:
    Does anybody know where to get these foam dispensers for cheap???

I don't know what may be available to you but where I am, second hand and discount stores sometimes have bathroom accessories. In the U.S., lotion dispensers are common in sets for the bathroom. Many don't use these and so they pop up in these stores.

I bought a second hand matched set of soap dish, toothbrush holder and lotion dispenser. I use the dispenser for homemade liquid soap.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, May 24 2012 4:37 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Helene:
    It is good for us not to forget about those days, and we shall hope that they never reoccur!

Let's hope not. Economical hardships are plenty enough, we do not need a world war in addition.

• Thu, May 24 2012 4:57 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 721

If you read "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder in the series of "Little House on the Praire", you will get a 300 pages long lesson in rationing...

Her mother, Caroline Ingalls, really made wonders with the little food they had, and apart from stretching it, she did her best to make it as tasty as possible!

I can say that I learned from her to serve warm or toasted bread instead of cold - and then I expanded on the subject to make bread puddings and bread dishes. Sauces and gravy also help to stretch a small amount of food. 

• Thu, May 24 2012 4:59 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 721

Thanks a lot, Brandy! - I didn't know lotion may come in foam dispensers!!! (Never use them...) So that's what I'll go looking for... THANKS!!!

• Thu, May 24 2012 5:04 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Helene:
    - I didn't know lotion may come in foam dispensers!!!

In pretty and fancy bathrooms here, people buy large bottles of lotion and pour it into those matching decorative bottles.

At second hand price, it was a cheap soap dispenser for us.

• Thu, May 24 2012 5:50 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 721

A foam dispenser REALLY STRETCHES the content of the container!!! - I tried it out recently, for a couple of weeks, until the dispenser broke. - I can only recommend it! I used HALF THE AMOUNT of soap than I usually do!!! - Calculated over a year, it is quite a saving!!!

• Sat, May 26 2012 4:33 PM In reply to

Helene:

Yes, cheapChic, I know... Germany after the war was possibly as bad or worse than the rest of Europe, though I read (on a link here on TDS) that hundreds of thousands of Greek people died from starvation as well... The food rations were truly minimal and barely made people survive...

I also know people who were prisoners in different death camps during the war, and the food they got... and the hard work... and the round calls where they had to stand up for hours... and the illnesses like typhus and dysentery... and the treatment of the prisoners in the camps... 

Starvation is a hard thing whenever and wherever it occurs.

As well as try to help people in need anywhere, who may be too shy to ask for help......

Yup it does happen like that russia had the same thing along with poland and your area too all do to working the butt off and eatting very little sad huh??? and yeah I do know what its like to sarve I had very little food in the house my kid and hubby took the last can of chili I couldn't shop until the next day yeah was very hungry one time I couldn't eat just couldn't no food then went down to one hundred pounds all bones never again.

And yes never forget those days of ww1 or ww2 and others what they went threw mom and her friend who is over this week wow what they had to steal to eat even after the war they stole food to survive others did too and so did thousands just to eat something rationing may work some wonders but their are pro's and con's I know isreal goes threw that sometimes where you are from and the greek I heard that the food is so high there that they buy less and less oh I feel ssorry for them.

• Sat, May 26 2012 8:51 PM In reply to

Helene:
    I did recently try to mix grated soap with hot water and then fill it in a foam dispenser.

If you save the small "ends" of the soap, when it is small enough to break into pieces, those work well to mix with water to use in pump dispensers. It will be liquid soap, not foam, but it will work.  You can also use the last little bits of shampoo or liquid dish soap, by adding an equal amount of water to what is left in the bottom of the container, swishing gently, so as not to produce too much foam/suds, then pouring it into the pump dispenser. One more way to stretch those pennies!

Page 2 of 4 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us