Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Rationing the Food

Last post Sat, May 31 2014 8:44 PM by Hatvany. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (34 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 23 2012 11:27 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Rationing the Food

With a tough economy, frugality has been on the rise. Many of us are looking back at the times of the depression and how our grandparents/parents lived for tips on surviving our own hard times.

Food rations were one of the realities for the people then. Have you come to rationing food in your home on your own?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, May 23 2012 12:15 PM In reply to

Re: Rationing the Food

Back when my fiance lived with us I would cook meals and use cheaper fillers to stretch meal (refried beans/Mexican Rice/Cornbread) things I could make from scratch since this guy can EAT...I would make a 9 x 13 pan of Lasagna/Garlic Bread w/ a loaf of french bread/Salad and he would eat 1/2 the loaf of bread over 8 x 8 of the pan of lasagna as well as the salad.

I just couldn't feed (just him them much so )  these are the things I did to RATION food at my house...

1. Created a MENU ( this allowed me to use what we had and add to it) plus saved me $$$$$ and keeping food inventory
    2. Freezer Meals (oamc) this cut the main meal to 8 x 8  ( got 2 meals from one lasagna which normally was 9 x 13 gone in 2 mins) 
    3. Started freezing Mexican Rice/Beans and other foods in ration amounts ( quart size bags)
    4. Started shopping at Costc & Smart and Final this allowed me to buy in larger Bulk sizes some of the items he used alot for a cheaper price
    5. Started making/providing the stuff to make Homemade Sausage Mc Muffins over buying them ( however he would eat 4 so we stopped that and I started making spam (from dollar store) and scrammbled eggs since eggs were cheaper  I got free coupons from Fry's so it cost me Zero and a loaf of bagels from the dollar store $1.00..
    6. When the budget changed to one income  to feed 3 people and a sick kitty (her cat food was special at $60 a month)  I ate more vegetables or grains example would be say we were having Ground Turkey Taco's w/ Mexican Rice and Refried Beans I would make Lentil Tacos using just the spices and plain water to cut the budget more. Then I would create a  Lentil Taco Salad using 1/2 cup of lentils_1/2 cup of Mexican Rice and lots of veggies and lettuce ( which I got from the dollar stores here) this allowed me to feed him and my teenage daughter.
    7. There was times I did with out what I wanted and had something else or leftovers
    http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Wed, May 23 2012 12:39 PM In reply to

Brandy, I know Cindy and I are both going to ask so I'll beat her to it, smile. What is your definition of food rationining? I take it that it's along the lines of when food is limited and one must make due and make mindful use of whatever food they have or have access to??? iwth a strong emphasis on NO waste and stretching food items to the last edible bite?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, May 23 2012 1:58 PM In reply to

jayashiangel:
    these are the things I did to RATION food at my house...

When I think of rationing food, I think the same as jayashiangel - making the food last.  In my day, we called it "portion control".  No one could fill up on just the lasagna - they also had to have the salad & the bread.

These days, with just DH & I eating, "portion control" or rationing means I sprinkle the nuts on top of the salad before serving, because otherwise half the container goes on just one salad.

• Wed, May 23 2012 2:50 PM In reply to

divide the portions and stuff the rest in freezer to have for another time but between family I know its constantly a battle who has the bigger piece or like bing who beat my sister to it..lol I thought to make bigger batch and the amounts saved for another day to ration it and for other food go smaller amounts and use other foods with it so nothing goes bad.

chrissanne
  • Wed, May 23 2012 3:54 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

During the depression my family were all country people who raised their own food, so there was plenty for everyone.  The WWII era was a differnt story, Everyone experience rationing, via government mandates.

While I do ration snacks and treats, this isn't due to the economy, it is more about avoiding weight related diseases.  I work ery hard to make sure we have plenty stockpiled so that my family will have enough food in the event of food shortages or economic downturns.  In a worst case scenerio, I plan to still be the person who could stand to lose a little weight. LOL

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, May 23 2012 4:36 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

Well, I have a limited income, which has to be enough for everything. Some things have had to go during the last year, like mobile phone account, monthyly entertainment and clothes purchases. Only the essentials are left. And even in those budget categories, I have had to make cuts, in order to keep a humane standard on the food menue.

I have tried to keep the amount of money constant for food purchases during the last year = the amount of money is the same but the amount of food you get for it gets less and less. So, in this way, you can say, that there is a sort of "rationing" going on.

On the other hand, our menu is already very frugal, so there is very little we can ration more than we already do, and I have had to add money to my food account several times during the last few month. I am in a process of reshuffling my budget in order to cover up for increasing cost. One less bar of soap = one more bag of milk...

• Wed, May 23 2012 8:42 PM In reply to

Helene:
    One less bar of soap = one more bag of milk...

Helene, you do know that if you unwrap the bar of soap & let it dry out before using it, it will last a lot longer, don't you?  One way to make the $ stretch a little further.

• Wed, May 23 2012 8:54 PM In reply to

Helene:

Well, I have a limited income, which has to be enough for everything. Some things have had to go during the last year, like mobile phone account, monthyly entertainment and clothes purchases. Only the essentials are left. And even in those budget categories, I have had to make cuts, in order to keep a humane standard on the food menue.

I have tried to keep the amount of money constant for food purchases during the last year = the amount of money is the same but the amount of food you get for it gets less and less. So, in this way, you can say, that there is a sort of "rationing" going on.

On the other hand, our menu is already very frugal, so there is very little we can ration more than we already do, and I have had to add money to my food account several times during the last few month. I am in a process of reshuffling my budget in order to cover up for increasing cost. One less bar of soap = one more bag of milk...

When mom was born in the fouties in the middle of ww2 berlin germany she said after the war that they stood in line in 1 city block at a bakery for bread or veggies or fruit to ration the food out 3 people had to share one loaf of bread I think it was for one week or 1 every few days so they had to eat that slow not all at once.

• Thu, May 24 2012 9:51 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    make mindful use of whatever food they have or have access to???

Making mindful use of the food you have and stretching it to last longer than you might have before. To me rationing is more limited and stretching farther than the frugal norm.

For us, I was getting two gallons of milk in a week usually. I picked it up as needed. Now I buy one and it just has to last and sometimes more than week at that. If we run out then we have no more until my next shopping trip.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 4 (34 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us