Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Using Baking Soda

Last post Sun, May 20 2012 8:10 AM by tripletree. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 9 2012 12:28 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Using Baking Soda

Baking soda is a low cost product that has many uses. I like to use it for cleaning my house, in the laundry and for my hair.

How do you use baking soda?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, May 9 2012 3:46 PM In reply to

Re: Using Baking Soda

Hosannas, dear Brandy, f the most mundane use! I bake LOTS of quick breads (my aides are not here long enough to bake yeasted breads.). I will never get over the mysterious alchemy of baking soda, baking powder & salt ... Love in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Wed, May 9 2012 5:11 PM In reply to

A couple of teaspoons down the drain, followed by vinegar is really good for cleaning out the gunk ...

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, May 9 2012 8:13 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Dh/I have used baking soda for a tooth cleanser for decades.  It cleans, freshens, and brightens--don't know if it's good genetics, or good oral care, but dh/I haven't had a cavity in years and years. 

I use baking soda dissolved in hot sudsy water to wash out the fridge and the microwave. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Wed, May 9 2012 8:33 PM In reply to

teeth ,scrub moms coffee cup inside,cleaning the bathroom sink and I use it for the chin and the nose I have breakouts like ance at this time of life I got zit city the dr. told me to do this with some salt in it just alittle and do this to exfoilate the nose and chin only and rincse off.

• Mon, May 14 2012 12:28 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Deborahmichelle:
    I bake LOTS of quick breads

I use baking soda in some cooking or baking but not too much. My main use is cleaning.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, May 14 2012 1:58 PM In reply to

I like to leave an opened pack of it in the fridge as an odor eliminator. I have also used it for dental care in conjunction with dental products. I would like to try it for cleaning though! Great post, great ideas folks.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, May 15 2012 9:48 PM In reply to

Brandy:

Baking soda is a low cost product that has many uses. I like to use it for cleaning my house, in the laundry and for my hair.

How do you use baking soda?

How don't I use baking soda?

Everything people have listed so far and:

I scrub the kitchen sink with used citrus rind and baking soda (makes it shiny),

clean tub/tile/toilet/sink in bathroom with it.

Get stains off the linoleum

scrub pots and pans.

put some in my home-mixed laundry powder to help with the hard water issues

carpet deodorizer

car deodorizer

soak up pet stains (back when I had a pet) because a pile of it soaks up most of the urine and covers the smell

exfoliant for dry skin patches

tummy-soother (how-to for this is on the box)

make amusing drain-volcanoes when the sink drain is plugged by pouring in a cup of baking soda followed by a cup of hot vinegar

put a packet of it in with stored clothes to keep them fresh smelling

make a paste and put on bug stings/bites

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right now.

• Tue, May 15 2012 10:19 PM In reply to

I use it as a gentle scour on my laminate counters. It removes ink and food stains without harming the finish.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Fri, May 18 2012 11:09 PM In reply to

I put it in with the litter in the cat pans and use it as a laundry booster. It is also good if you cut a cat's paw when clipping its claws. Just stuff the wound and the bleeding will stop (a styptic pencil also works). A water-baking soda paste for insect bites.

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us