Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Affordable Window Treatments

Last post Wed, Mar 26 2014 7:21 AM by celine. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 25 2012 4:36 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Affordable Window Treatments

What are the best options for covering windows to keep light out in the day, keep people from seeing inside and keeping out the cold in the winter?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 12:17 AM In reply to

Re: Affordable Window Treatments

blinds and sheets made for my bedroom and the guest bed room the front room the curtains come with it cindy sews curtains she won't tell but she is good at this one.

chrissanne
  • Thu, Apr 26 2012 8:48 AM In reply to

If you want to save money on heat than get the energy saving curtains. I use them in the living room. They work well.

Sissy suggested curtains from sheets - that's for frugal light and privacy purposes but not good for saving money on heat and unless one knows how to sew well it's not visually appealing IMO. From a design standpoint, towels and sheets are tacky unless revamped by a master mind who can sew...  If one can afford or save up for a nice set of curtains that do it all and look good then that's what I recommend best.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Apr 26 2012 10:06 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

@BargainBinge--Back in the day (I was born in 1956), using nice quality bath towels hund on a cafe rod with clip on rings was quite the "cat's meow" for bathroom windows. LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Window treatments are very pricy and anybody with a tight and/or lower income is to be applauded for coming up with frugal ideas to cover their windows. If that means towels, sheets, or a table cloth, then so be it.  I have used white flannel lined vinyl table clothes from the dollar store to tack over windows--bought a fun pattern, and put them up--helped insulate, added privacy, and most importantly, it is what was affordable.  From the street, it looked like white lined curtains.  One does what one has to do in times of economic struggles.  I live in a rural area and many residents here struggle financially, always have.  Some of my favorite window coverings are the crazy granny square afghans, and the kid's rooms with the colorful cartoon character sheets at the windows.

Bedsheets for curtains can look very nice.  In fact, I have white cotton, eyelet trimmed panels/valances at my bedroom windows--coincidentally, they look just like our bedsheets...and almost exactly like the matching panels that were available to go with the linens--exscept I saved $65 by using the flat sheets and a bit of machine tailoring to create the valance.  They look quite lovely, imho.  We don't know what family/friends/passersby think, and we don't really care what they think--we think our room is calm and pleasing to the eye and that is all that matters. 

Dd21 is a 3rd shift worker.  She has thick white plastic board, cut to fit, in her bedroom windows, covered with blinds. Her bedroom is 100% dark so she can sleep.  She attached two small cord loops to the boards so she can easily pull them out of the windows when she wants some daylight in her bedroom.  In the past, she has also tacked large sheets of corrogated cardboard over her windows to block out the daylight--she had miniblinds between the window and the cardboard.  That worked but didn't look as nice as her current plastic board idea.  This also blocks out heat and the winter cold.

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 10:22 AM In reply to

We used $5 a panel sheers from Walmart, $2 shades from menards, and the couple of windows that i needed thermal curtains at I bought at Walmart and Menards for about $10-$15 a window.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 3:30 PM In reply to

Rolo, I love your ideas and your attitude about curtains.  Not everyone can afford to purchase curtains!  i can buy nice sheets for a fraction of the cost of one set of curtains!  Basic sewing and I am done.  I also have to agree with you on your point about what other people think, if it pleases YOU and you are the one living with the curtains, then who cares what others think?  I have used cute pillow cases for bathroom curtains, and they turned out very nice.  Got them at a yard sale for a quarter, and even got several compliments on them over the years. I suppose living in a heavily populated area, I might be considred tacky, but here in the mountains I am considred creative.  Hey at least I have a curtain hanging, not tin foil taped in the bathroom window! 

Living in snow country it is very common to see blankets tacked over windows during the winter.  No one thinks it is odd or out of the norm.  It insulates and keeps the inside warmer.  Even expensive McMansions have sported blankets on bedroom winters during sub zero cold snaps.  They might not stay up on the windows for the entire winter but they are there on windy sub zero nights. 

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 7:25 PM In reply to

I have two east-facing dining room windows that let in lots of heat in summer.  I like natural light and only have white blinds with a valance at each window.  I bought some of those flannel-backed drapes at a yard sale for less than a dollar and cut out a square to fit each window.  I hand-sewed two little plastic rings on the top backside of each curtain and attached two tiny paneling nails to each side of the windows.  When it's very hot or very cold, I simply place the 'new' curtain up right over the top of the present window treatment, hanging the rings on the nails.  Keeps out 90% of light, heat and cold and can be whisked up and down in a moment.

I've also bought some of those silver space blankets (got them in the camping supply dept. at Walmart) and taped them up over west-facing windows during the summer - it's not even noticeable from the inside, underneath the curtains.  Keeps out a LOT of sun and heat.

I'm getting ready to buy some of those Eclipse curtains at Walmart and drape them during the day, then let them down at night for privacy at our picture window...Liz.

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 7:44 PM In reply to

rolo:

@BargainBinge--Back in the day (I was born in 1956), using nice quality bath towels hund on a cafe rod with clip on rings was quite the "cat's meow" for bathroom windows. LOL

Window treatments are very pricy and anybody with a tight and/or lower income is to be applauded for coming up with frugal ideas to cover their windows. If that means towels, sheets, or a table cloth, then so be it.  I have used white flannel lined vinyl table clothes from the dollar store to tack over windows--bought a fun pattern, and put them up--helped insulate, added privacy, and most importantly, it is what was affordable.  From the street, it looked like white lined curtains.  One does what one has to do in times of economic struggles.  I live in a rural area and many residents here struggle financially, always have.  Some of my favorite window coverings are the crazy granny square afghans, and the kid's rooms with the colorful cartoon character sheets at the windows.

Bedsheets for curtains can look very nice.  In fact, I have white cotton, eyelet trimmed panels/valances at my bedroom windows--coincidentally, they look just like our bedsheets...and almost exactly like the matching panels that were available to go with the linens--exscept I saved $65 by using the flat sheets and a bit of machine tailoring to create the valance.  They look quite lovely, imho.  We don't know what family/friends/passersby think, and we don't really care what they think--we think our room is calm and pleasing to the eye and that is all that matters. 

Dd21 is a 3rd shift worker.  She has thick white plastic board, cut to fit, in her bedroom windows, covered with blinds. Her bedroom is 100% dark so she can sleep.  She attached two small cord loops to the boards so she can easily pull them out of the windows when she wants some daylight in her bedroom.  In the past, she has also tacked large sheets of corrogated cardboard over her windows to block out the daylight--she had miniblinds between the window and the cardboard.  That worked but didn't look as nice as her current plastic board idea.  This also blocks out heat and the winter cold.

Rolo mind if I steal your ideal for the future.....l I had cindy sew my curtains for now 3 years ago why its when you don't have money period always tight well I did it to save period Im sorry if Im not up to perfection but that is how it is.

chrissanne
  • Thu, Apr 26 2012 10:07 PM In reply to

rolo:

Rolo thanks Im going to steal your idea about the white eyelet curtains yes I use to sew professionally but I prefer not to sAY anything about it because people say your tacky cindy well fixed thier red wagon sewed it for sissy when she was and still is on a really tight budget this year so her next set for only the bedrooms is double the layer of the curtain in the pleat and puff down the seam with a puffer I still get to voulenteer at the dry cleaners for this I get my stuff done for free and I get sissys curtains done that way.

• Fri, Apr 27 2012 8:15 AM In reply to

Rolo, that is an excellent response. See, that's master mind there though... not tacky if I may have referred. I wish you ahd pictures of your creations. They sound very lovely... Can you get pics?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us