Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Emergency Supply List

Last post Fri, Oct 26 2012 9:35 AM by Brandy. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 4:27 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Emergency Supply List

In times of an emergency, it is best to already be prepared. What will you need?

Water
    Food
    Essentials
    First aid and medication
    Bedding and Clothes
    The ability to prepare food and handle sanitation needs
    Important Documents
    Tools and supplies

What each person or family needs may vary based on area and types of emergencies that should be planned for.

What items would you have for these categories? What else would you pack up or prepare?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 18 2012 4:39 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

Re: Emergency Supply List

I just today read the emergency lists on the FEMA website! Very helpful!

I think I just want to add one thing: If you prepare, prepare enough to last for a while! If you haven't prepared enough, it is as if you have not prepared at all.

It's also good to have a plan B. Like for example storing some things at home and some things at work or with a relative... not to put everything in one place.

Very important is to have a family plan where every family member has a list of things to do in case of emergency, where to meet if it is not possible to reach one's home, telephone numbers and a contact person with whom you can leave messages. 

• Wed, Apr 18 2012 8:48 PM In reply to

sleeping bags

tent for me and my dogs shelters do not take them in here so I stay outside with them in a tent if i have to...

3 days of food or more

meds need those

glass's firstaid box

rain gear

sturdy shoes

tools and flash lite

coleman stove

latern

cook items and big container to put water in to do dish's

sanitary stuff for women

sanitary butwhipes called tee-pee papper baby wipes

water

Iodine pills to use for water or filter system for it

and books games flashlite cards other stuff I am watching its called preppers on you tube in case you bugg out when the brown stuff hits the fan what to bring what not to use its use ful info but thats all I watch it for to get a list to bring ermgancy numbers and where to go and where there is shelters around but I won't stay in one I have dogs they are kinda like kids mine and use other means that you have watch it if you want to its great.

• Thu, Apr 19 2012 10:25 AM In reply to

I like to buy some water bottles at the beginning of tornado season, but haven't yet this year. I also want to pack a bin of necessities to have on hand.

It worked out well this year, I actually got two packages of water bottles, the 8 oz size, from an event last spring, leftovers.  They just ran out, I sent them with lots of lunches!  I will buy this spring.  Although I like to be "green" I also like this convenience.

• Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:44 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 721

I just want to underline what cheapChic said: an extra pair of sturdy, comfortable shoes for every family member and rain clothes.

That goes in under plan B too: prepare to walk or use alternative transportation than you are used for. 

A thin rope is also good to have and a few plastic sheets or the like. Can be used for anything from making a shelter, if you don't have (time to put up) a tent, to gathering water.

Iodine solution for water purification is very good. Doesn't take as much place as chlorine bleach and you can use less of it too!

Great job, cheapChic! Just want to agree with you!

• Fri, Apr 20 2012 12:23 AM In reply to

Thank you helene the shoes are really important even if its tennis shoes need the protection on the feet if you have to bug out..

I learned this from class I told years ago survival training for search and rescue and cival air patrol and diaster relief and that does help always put it under the bed along with a flash lite.

• Fri, Apr 20 2012 12:45 AM In reply to

Brandy:
    The ability to prepare food

We have a lowly fondue pot, with the lid & stand, & a second pot.   With either sterno fuel or a candle, as long as we can boil water, then we have soup,oatmeal, instant potatoes, hot chocolate or hot lemonade.   We also have a propane BBQ, but if winter winds are raging, the fondue pot on top of the stove will be our choice for something warm & comforting to go with all those crackers & peanut butter.

• Fri, Apr 20 2012 1:58 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 721

cheapChic:

Thank you helene the shoes are really important even if its tennis shoes need the protection on the feet if you have to bug out..

I learned this from class I told years ago survival training for search and rescue and cival air patrol and diaster relief and that does help always put it under the bed along with a flash lite.

I can understand that from your very clear and thoughtful list! Thanks! Very helpful!

• Fri, Apr 20 2012 3:15 PM In reply to

• Hofmama
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 10 2008
    • Kentucky
    • Posts 590

survivalblog.com has a lot of good resources for people trying to prep for a potential emergency.
  • Fri, Apr 20 2012 4:47 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

my DH is our community emergency team

we have a box of supplies in the cars and trucks we have one in every house on our land  We have RX , food ,  towels , water .. pet food , any thing on the list the one thing DH insisted we keep money  .. in the boxes .. we also have copies of the deeds , titles ., information on every one .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us