Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Sewing Stuff

Last post Sat, Feb 12 2011 11:40 AM by ziggee. 45 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 15 2007 1:53 AM

• sewingirl
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 41

Sewing Stuff

How about some chit-chat on your best, latest, greatest sewing projects!  I can't be the only person here who keeps the old Singer humming this time of year.  I don't have time to sew much in the Summer, too much to do outside, this is my fabric playtime.  I am making flannel pajama pants for my three teens for Christmas, have a baby quilt cut, but not pieced yet, a big pile of jeans to mend, two coats that need zippers.  My favorite bargain spot is the $1 a yard table at Walmart.  My secret guilty pleasure is the six totes of fabric that I keep behind the coats in the back closet, mostly because my Hubby never looks in there.  So lets hear from some other thrifty stitchers.
  • Sat, Dec 15 2007 8:24 AM In reply to

Re: Sewing Stuff

I made a couple of 'cat mats' for Christmas gifts. Saw one at a friend's house..basically a pillow case with a square  of batting inside instead of a pillow. Sprinkled the inside w/catnip and place where kitty likes to sleep/shed. The top is a loud, fun cat print ( does a lot to compensate for my  minimal sewing skills:) I used a chambray sheet from the thrift sore to make a border and the backing. Purchased the cat print fabric new...hadn't been in a fabric store for years..prices were shocking!

• Sat, Dec 15 2007 11:48 AM In reply to

well, have lots of stuff but don't touch the machine much, even have a serger that dh bought me years ago.  have my stashes..plus the british prima magazine I buy each month comes with a clothes pattern. might make rice bags for my friends homemade gift exchange on new years since dh is off xmas week. have all the stuff I need kicking around.

My Family's Interests
  • Sat, Dec 15 2007 12:41 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I haven't done much sewing lately, I've been busy with other things. I'm not a seamstress by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoy making some simple things now and then. I have a lot of mending piled up, though! Got to get to it soon or I'll have to start throwing things out.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sat, Dec 15 2007 1:58 PM In reply to

• sewingirl
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 41

I did finally let go of my sock darning basket.  It's just not worth the effort of fixing them, when you can buy a pack of six pairs for $3 at the local big box store.  I must admit, even tho I really love to sew, the mending basket is always the things of last resort.  I have actually had stuff in there long enough that the child outgrew them before they got fixed, and were handed down to the next one.  Sort of like a brand new outfit!

• Sat, Dec 15 2007 2:05 PM In reply to

I am going to teach myself how to sew this coming summer. I have an old sewing machine that has been sitting idle (it's getting to be over 8 years) so I will need to have it cleaned professionally so I don't have to worry about doing something wrong. My first project will be a quilt. I know it's seems a bit much but it won't be much since I'll be using sheets and blankets and two pieces for the quilt (it's kind of an African print). I have done pillows growing up but it's been so many years since I have attempted or had time to sew. (Most projects get handed to my mom, especially when it comes to clothes, since she used to make my clothes when little).  

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Sat, Dec 15 2007 4:35 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Luvd_Lioness:
    My first project will be a quilt. I know it's seems a bit much but it won't be much since I'll be using sheets and blankets and two pieces for the quilt

I hope you don't get overwhelmed with your first project! It is good that you want to learn to sew but even a simple quilt could give you fits trying to maneuver that much material around under the sewing foot when you are just starting out. . How about making a table runner instead? Or a cloth to go over an end table. Another project is a cover for the arms of a chair or pot holders or wall hangings.  These are simple to make, you can learn easy piecing patterns, quilting and binding and have a pretty project done in no time. Then if you like what you've done move up to making the full size quilt.

Aprons are another project. If you need help with any ideas like this, please ask, I'm sure someone can answer your questions. E.

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sat, Dec 15 2007 4:44 PM In reply to

I volunteered to help with the costumes for our annual Christmas program. I pulled out my machine and started sewing away.  I have made 2 wise man costumes, 1 for Jesus, 4 vests, 3 belts, 2 large veils and 2 hand beaded collars! I also embellished 5 other costumes.  I'd had forgotten how much I enjoyed sewing.  I think I'll be leaving my machine out for a little while longer and make some new aprons and I think I have some material that I bought to make new throw pillows for my living room. 

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Sat, Dec 15 2007 5:09 PM In reply to

• momto2
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 6 2007
    • Posts 37

My first sewing project ever was a courthouse steps (log cabin) quilt wall hanging.  You can do it.

I have sewn 2 flannel pillow cases (1 for my 5 yr old brother and 1 for my 9 yr old ds), a pair of flannel pajama pants (for my brother) and have to finish a denim rag quilt for my parents.  total cost with thread, elastic, flannel was less than $20 bought on sale.  I just have to finish that quilt already I started in August. 

Mom and step dad said no gifts this year cuz money is so tight for them, but I figured the quilt is costing less than $9 and getting a bunch of old jeans out of my house and is for both of them and I know they will use it and love it. 

• Sat, Dec 15 2007 7:13 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

sewingirl:

I did finally let go of my sock darning basket.  It's just not worth the effort of fixing them, when you can buy a pack of six pairs for $3 at the local big box store.  I must admit, even tho I really love to sew, the mending basket is always the things of last resort.

I enjoy darning socks, but I don't buy the 6 pairs for $3 ones. I knit a lot of mine, so they're worth darning. Most of my mending right now is small things - a pair of pajama bottoms with a loose seam,  a shirt that needs a button, things like that. I don't mind mending, but I have to be in the right mood. I was kidding about throwing them out. (Kind of.) Big Smile 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
Page 1 of 5 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us