Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Little Things

Last post Wed, Apr 18 2012 5:29 PM by kjathena. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:10 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The Little Things

Frugality calls for cutting out some unnecessary expenses. Sometimes there really is no money for the extras that make life enjoyable.

How do you find ways to enjoy some things that just make you feel relaxed and smile?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:50 AM In reply to

Re: The Little Things

All the JOYS of JESUS my friend... all the beautiful joys He gives and gifts us with... There is not greater feeling and no greater love than that which Jesus provides.

These aren't little things though, smile, they are great gigantic gorgeous God things!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:56 AM In reply to

I love to read, and my local library is only 6 blocks away.  It's also a nice place to go on hot summer days - it has air conditioning, and I don't.
  • Wed, Apr 11 2012 12:06 PM In reply to

Brandy:

Frugality calls for cutting out some unnecessary expenses. Sometimes there really is no money for the extras that make life enjoyable.

How do you find ways to enjoy some things that just make you feel relaxed and smile?

When I went on maternity leave with my first child I started to save all of my change in a coffee can and I have done this for the past 23 years. When money is extremely tight and we are at a point where we feel we just have to get out and do something away from the house, I will cash in the change bucket. We will also just pack a lunch and go to the beach for the day or to the park. When the kids were younger my step-grandmother used to send me money for Christmas to buy the kids something. So we would buy a yearly family pass to the zoo or Monterey Bay Aquarium. This way we could go whenever we felt we needed to get away. Sometimes we will just have a potluck bbq at my sisters house or my parents house, they each have a pool, the kids would play together and the parents can just sit back and relax. We also used to sit outside with all of the neighbors and watch the kids play tag in the evenings. We would all bring our beverage of choice and a lawn chair and just visit with each other. When we first got married my DH was still in college and we had no money for a vacation so we would save all of our change. Once a year the company we worked for would get discount tickets to the local amusement park (15 bucks each back then) and that would be our little get away, it would cost 40 bucks for the day including lunch. We used to go to the minor league baseball games for 3 bucks a person back then with discount tickets thru work. Now days we go to the beach or the mountains with a picnic lunch. We also go for a bike ride or for a walk around the neighborhood. My son and friends will go fishing. A bunch of them will each bring something to bbq, they split the cost of gas, bait, and entrance fees into the lake if they are taking out the boats. If they are fishing off of someones property they just grab their poles and snacks from home and some bait. Our town has a river that runs between it and the next town over.
    Riley
  • Thu, Apr 12 2012 3:25 AM In reply to

Sometimes it is just a drive to go get something that relaxes me.  I put on my favourite radio station (the oldies) and  sing along and feel the stress just melt away.  Other times a spot of gardening will do it.  A walk in the sunshine is nice too.  Not everything that costs money does it, it can be something free and simple.

Sally

• Thu, Apr 12 2012 9:43 AM In reply to

• itsmi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 5 2007
    • Posts 126

Some of the things that make me feel relaxed and put a smile on my face are (1) visiting with friends, (2) Bible study, (3) reading a well written fiction book, and (4) taking a walk in my neighborhood. Smile

MaryB

http://marysdepressionerarecipes.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Apr 12 2012 10:00 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

My town has a beautiful park and walking path. These are free to enjoy and we do.

Through the year, there are events like bands playing or even movies that are free and we sometimes take advantage of them. It's fun and it doesn't cost us anything.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Apr 12 2012 8:34 PM In reply to

Amen on the joys of Jesus, BB :)

Lately I've been trying to use my hot travel mug/thermos more when I'm out and about.  Make up a fresh cup of tea or coffee and enjoy it while out running errands.  It's been so nice, especially when grocery shopping!  And it helps curb the temptation to get a Starbucks too.

I also have been trying to update my makeup bag (using coupons and freebies of course!).  Just taking the time to put on some lipstick or mascara always tends to brighten my mood.  Same with making sure to take the time to dress everyday.  Being a SAHM that is sometimes a challenge, the call of PJ's and sweats all day is hard to resist, but I feel I get more done when I take the time to dress for the day.  And it's free to boot!

I'm also trying to craft more.  I love having the creative outlet and making things is theraputic for me.  Scrapbooking, cardmaking, making gifts, etc.  And I challenge myself to use what I have and repurpose things as opposed to buying crafting supplies new. 

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Apr 12 2012 8:38 PM In reply to

mommatothree:

Amen on the joys of Jesus, BB :)

Lately I've been trying to use my hot travel mug/thermos more when I'm out and about.  Make up a fresh cup of tea or coffee and enjoy it while out running errands.  It's been so nice, especially when grocery shopping!  And it helps curb the temptation to get a Starbucks too.

I also have been trying to update my makeup bag (using coupons and freebies of course!).  Just taking the time to put on some lipstick or mascara always tends to brighten my mood.  Same with making sure to take the time to dress everyday.  Being a SAHM that is sometimes a challenge, the call of PJ's and sweats all day is hard to resist, but I feel I get more done when I take the time to dress for the day.  And it's free to boot!

I'm also trying to craft more.  I love having the creative outlet and making things is theraputic for me.  Scrapbooking, cardmaking, making gifts, etc.  And I challenge myself to use what I have and repurpose things as opposed to buying crafting supplies new. 

Mom of 3 you will like the thermas mug thingie why beats going to the coffee shop like starbucks my mom has a weakness for mocka lattae thing so use your coffee or teas your budget will thank you.

• Thu, Apr 12 2012 8:42 PM In reply to

I look out the window and watch humming bird t.v and watching robbins fight over a worm or house finch's going nuts for the steward cakes dad leaves out for them last week dad put out a bird house a sparrow and its mate found the house well they moved in and a squirl chasing my doxie off into the house daisy went to near the squirls food supply this is what I watch ever day and that little thing called birds and squils makes my day beats watching t.v...

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us