Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Storage Units

Last post 04-11-2012 7:43 PM by karenteacher. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-11-2012 8:45 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Storage Units

Is it worth storing things you don't have the room for?

Why are you keeping the stuff? Have you calculated what is it costing you to hang on to it?

There are times when it is worth having a unit instead of decluttering and not needing that extra space. When is it time to get that unit?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 04-11-2012 9:41 AM In reply to

Re: Storage Units

We rented one when MIL went to nursing home with plans to go to assisted living. In assisted living, she had to bring her own furniture, TV........ Paid $50 a month. We still have it. Some of MIL things we have kept for DS# and DIL who wil be moving back here in June.  Then DH stored his car in it for the winter, Mustang not a winter car.  I hope to be rid of it by July. It is money that I can use for other things. If DS needs to keep it until they find a house, he will pay starting in July. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 04-11-2012 11:30 AM In reply to

We will have to get a storage unit in June when my DD moves back home. She lives with a roommate right now who is moving out of town in June and DD can't afford to live on her own. She is in the middle of a divorce and wants to go back to school to become a nurse so she is moving back in with us. She has 3 rooms worth of furniture we will have to put into storange until she finishes school and moves out on her own again.
    Riley
  • 04-11-2012 11:40 AM In reply to

We have learned - unless it's jam packed to the full brim it's not worth it. Those monthly fees creep up on you. If one TRULY needs it then suck it for all it's worth and fill it to the brim, empty space = waste of money. We learned. I actually just ended up donating ALL the stuff that was in my storage unit, it was only some furniture but was just sitting there for what? nothing. I gave it away to a good home. No more useless monthly fees.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 04-11-2012 11:41 AM In reply to

We currently rent a storage unit, but it's for a different reason.  Our landlord allowed our house we were renting to go into foreclosure, so we ended up moving in w/my parents.  Our things from our house wouldn't fit here, so we rent a unit.  I wouldn't rent one otherwise.  We purged tremendously, and ended up getting rid of 75% of what we owned.  Our unit is about half the size of a one car garage, and we have room to spare.

I don't think I'd rent one for overflow items.  I am the type of person that would purge and simplify before doing that.  However, with that being said I don't have things that are so expensive or nice that it would be foolish to get rid of them.  I could get them at another time if needed.  If I did have things I couldn't replace, then I might consider renting a unit. 

One thing that might make sense if you need to rent a unit is find a buddy to rent it with you.  The cost of the units go up when you increase the size.  However the jump in price isn't always huge from one unit to the next.  Compare the costs of the different sized units, and if you can get more space for less cash when you share the unit with a friend I would say go for it!  Just make sure you pick a storage buddy that will pay their bill regularly ;)

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • 04-11-2012 12:04 PM In reply to

When I was selling my condo so I could buy a house, one of the first things the realtor said was that my condo, which was well laid-out, looked cramped and crowded, and suggested I remove several large pieces of furniture to make it more saleable.  I contacted one of the companies that has the moveable pods, which picks up and delivers, and they came out, carried all the stuff down the stairs, packed it carefully into the pod and stored it at their facility until I sold the condo and moved - at which point they delivered the pod to my new house, unloaded it, and left. 

This had a several advantages.  The pod is cheaper than a storage unit, it was still accessible (I had to call the day before - they store the pods in stacks, so they needed notice to get it out), and they picked up and delivered - which was both easier than moving my grandmother's dining room set down the stairs myself, and cheaper than a moving service.

If you're in a situation where you are between homes and want to hang on to your stuff - get a storage unit or a pod.  If you've run out of room and aren't moving soon - it's time to weed your belongings.  When we moved my grandfather into the retirement community, we had to clean out 50 years worth of stuff he'd hung on to "in case he needed it" - we had to rent a moving van to go to Goodwill, and hire a truck and driver to take the rest of it to the dump (the nearest available dump was over 100 miles away - so the truck and driver ended up cheaper than doing it ourselves).  Having helped clean out his house - I clean mine out every year, and still keep finding things... not helped by the fact that my mother's method of cleaning her house is to give everything to me, so she doesn't have to throw it out.

• 04-11-2012 5:17 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

karenteacher:
    not helped by the fact that my mother's method of cleaning her house is to give everything to me, so she doesn't have to throw it out.

LOL My mom does the exact same thing and it drives me crazy.  Oops, now I've started doing it to my daughter.  Heriditary???

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 04-11-2012 7:43 PM In reply to

grame:

karenteacher:
    not helped by the fact that my mother's method of cleaning her house is to give everything to me, so she doesn't have to throw it out.

LOL My mom does the exact same thing and it drives me crazy.  Oops, now I've started doing it to my daughter.  Heriditary???

I'm not sure... but an organization I belong to holds a yard sale every summer, and most of what she gives me either gets donated or tossed.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us