Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frozen Vegetables

Last post Tue, Jul 17 2012 11:08 AM by gayla50. 32 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 4 2012 10:22 AM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 412

Re: Frozen Vegetables

I like frozen because when I'm cooking for 2 I can use the exact amount that I need for that recipe. No extra to try to find a good use for.
  • Wed, Apr 4 2012 5:46 PM In reply to

I use frozen pearl onions, life is too short to spend time peeling pearl onions! And frozen corn. Cutting it off the cob falls under that same category for me :)

I just cook for two also, but plan the leftover veggies for snacks and lunch salads. Cauliflower... I only use half a small head for that dinner, and have the other half to cut up to snack on dipped in ranch dressing of course! :)  Or in salads for our lunches.

Now during off season and winter, I definitely buy mostly frozen veggies. The only ones I buy fresh then are root veggies, the rest are too pricy, and frozen is "fresher" then.

• Fri, Apr 6 2012 3:10 PM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

I do not buy veggies in cans, so our choices are frozen or fresh.  I try to keep our basics on hand in the freezer: green peas, green/snap beans, corn, and broccoli.  I rarely buy mixed veggies -- mostly peas and carrots. And, if I have a recipe that calls for a given veggie mix (California mix, for example), then I'll buy that.  We're pretty boring when it comes to the veggies we cook & eat.  Squashes are cooked from fresh.  I rarely cook cauliflower or asparagus.  And, of course, I keep fresh onions, green peppers, celery, and garlic on hand.  We do eat a fair amount of raw veggies -- particularly in salads -- so that adds a lot more variety.

I really like to take advantage of the bulk frozen veggies at Costco.  I'll buy one of their 5 pound or 10 pound bags (I forget what size they are) and then break it down when I get home. I put 1c of corn/beans/peas or 2c of broccoli in a sandwich baggie and then put all the sandwich baggies into a gallon or 2 gallon freezer bag.  I can then take out pre-measured portions to cook for a meal/recipe.

• Wed, Apr 18 2012 1:57 AM In reply to

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I normally use fresh vegetables and fruits rather than freezing it because fresh vegetables would be far more nutrition than the frozen one. My home people don’t like to eat ice-covered vegetables and I too.

• Wed, Apr 18 2012 8:13 AM In reply to

Well Crazy, I am all about fresh fruits and vegetables. My home is an indoor farmer's market in that sense but I do admit having a few bags of frozen veggies is always handy. Yes, fresh picked veggies offer PEAK nutrition but fresh picked and packaged properly and frozen asap after picked aren't as nutritionless as you or one other may think. Frozen veggies should not have blocks of ice around them, in that case someone is freezing them wrong or has equipment not suitable for preventing freezer burn. Often the person is not freezing them right. Anyhow, there are folks here who can't afford or don't have access to all fresh produce or some over produce in the garden and freeze to preserve. Better than wasting them ,,,

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:46 AM In reply to

So true, BB! And, often frozen vegetables are actually more nutritious than "fresh" from supermarkets. Frozen veggies from the supermarket are typically picked at peak ripeness (when they're at their most flavorful and nutrient-filled) and flash-frozen. Flash freezing doesn't hurt most nutrients. "Fresh" store veggies are often picked green (at their least flavorful and when they have the least nutrition) for easier shipping, and gassed for appropriate color. Frozen can be a great choice for families.
    "This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:51 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    Anyhow, there are folks here who can't afford

The side dish vegetables we use most often would not be cheap for us to buy fresh weekly. I can get them frozen for $1 a bag. In off seasons I could not get these genuinely fresh anyway. 

I do not have blocks of ice on them and they do cook up fine.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:59 AM In reply to

Shawn, Brandy and BB the Veggie's Angels... saving the life of veggies, one veggie at a time.

lol 

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Jul 17 2012 6:46 AM In reply to

Frozen vegetables contain fewer vitamins and minerals than fresh vegetables. Generally, vitamins are well retained in frozen vegetables. Frozen vegetable is good when mixed with other food types, such as pasta or cheese.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

beyond diet fraud

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 7:23 AM In reply to

Michal, nutrient loss happens the moment a fruit or vegetable is taken from it's natural environment and picked/pulled so that's going to happen anyways. Light, heat, air, will all cause nutrient loss and start oxidation processes. Of course we know fresh is best, fresh can also be ruined by too much heat or light though so ti's really a matter of how you pick, how you store and how you prepare or cook. Frozen is a good alternative when fresh is not available and it's better than no fruit/veggies at all. Pasta and cheese are not micronutrient rich foods, they call in the macronutrient catagory. If one is seeking more micronutrients mix the fruit/vegs with other fruit/vegs and whole food plant based foods.

Page 3 of 4 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us