Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

I have embraced "minimalism" ...kind of

Last post Sun, Aug 19 2012 11:50 AM by LivingFrugal. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 26 2012 1:04 PM

I have embraced "minimalism" ...kind of

I moved to a smaller house about 18 months ago. Since then I have gone through boxes and decided "Do I want to keep this, Why, for what purpose"? I have donated dishes, extra linens we don't use, knick knacks that I don't want to dust anymore, old and raggedy clothes. I have gone through my kids closets and boxes of stored clothes (for some mysterious future) and donated all the items that don't fit or that no one wants to wear. I donated a lot of books and the ones left are the ones that Dh has a hard time parting with. I won't store more than a box of hand me downs for my littlest one. I feel free!!! I wish I could empty out the garage and all the stuff DH keeps for repairs, or stuff he doesn't know we have. So there you have my "sort of Minimalist lifestyle". My goal is that is that whenever me move again, I can pack it all in a couple of days.
  • Mon, Mar 26 2012 2:36 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: I have embraced "minimalism" ...kind of

It's easier to keep track of and clean less stuff. That makes life less stressful.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Mar 26 2012 3:41 PM In reply to

Brandy:

It's easier to keep track of and clean less stuff. That makes life less stressful.

Brandy,

That's what I tell my DH all the time but he likes to collect Coca Cola stuff. I told him it had to stay in his office and he is responsible for dusting it. I declutter all the time.

Riley
  • Mon, Mar 26 2012 4:02 PM In reply to

Downsizing here as well, but not getting much cooperation from dh.  Like Riley, I finally got the bright idea of making him keep all his stuff, mostly books and magazines, in his hobby room where his workbench, etc. is.  I was able to empty two bookcases!  If I need to, I can easily close the door to the room.  Still working on different parts of the house but it feels wonderful so far...Liz.

• Mon, Mar 26 2012 6:55 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

One of the best lifestyle decisions dh/I made was to unload the stuff and only keep that which we used, and/or was something of beauty/sentimental value. Our rooms are clutter free, our few prized possessions are noticeable, and housekeeping is so much quicker and simpler when you don't have every room packed with stuff.  Our family/friends thought/think we are nuts.  We think we are enjoying life and not concerned with appearnaces/keeping up with the latest and greatest "must haves"!  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Mon, Mar 26 2012 6:58 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I  hear you Carmina! hard with kids...the amount of paper , crafts, mess in room  etc is a decluttering adventure in its own.     Easter weekend we are cleaning out the garage. the storage part dh has cluttered up with stuff instead of it being for storage of house stuff..not much storage in the house. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Mar 26 2012 9:28 PM In reply to

I've done some of that, but I can't decide to unload a lot more. My income if low and fixed, and any clothing or food I have stockpiled is there because I can't really afford to get more now or in the future. So I seem perhaps like a pack-rat, but I am trying to be frugally sensible. The amount of stuff does get on my nerves, though.

• Mon, Mar 26 2012 11:31 PM In reply to

same here I use to do it when I had the money then since retired nope can;t no money for it and Im also low income so join my club seaturtle.

• Mon, Mar 26 2012 11:46 PM In reply to

We have been getting rid of 'stuff' for the past two years. In fact today we took 3 boxes (mostly clothes and books) to the thrift store. Surprisingly, we came out of there without buying a thing! So, we're ahead today! :)

A friend just moved to a retirement home so had to rid herself of so many things. I do believe she is happier now! It certainly simplifys life!

• Tue, Mar 27 2012 8:54 AM In reply to

I live in a small house. I try to purge my house of extra stuff at least once a year. I just finished the two bookcases yesterday. I have like 5 bags of books going to the thrift store and one box of books going in the shed.

I always keep a box in the trunk of my car. As I come accross things I don't need in my home, I put them in the box. When I have enough stuff to fill the box, I donate it to the thrift store.

I buy stuff from the thrift store too. I just bought an electric food steamer from the thrift store. I love it and will be keeping it. If I decided I didn't like it and wouldn't use it, I would just donate it back to the thrift store. If I spent $50 on it new, I probably would hang onto it because I paid "so much money" for it. 

Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us