Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

10 Things You Should Always Buy in Bulk?

Last post Sun, Mar 25 2012 9:16 AM by Brandy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 12:35 PM

10 Things You Should Always Buy in Bulk?

Came across this Article and wanted to share it.. I would like to hear everyone's options on this article as well as what is BEST to buy in bulk for YOU or Your Family??

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sat, Mar 24 2012 1:11 PM In reply to

Re: 10 Things You Should Always Buy in Bulk?

We buy almost all of the articles on the list except diapers (no babies at home), chewing gum (everyone likes a different flavor) and health and beauty products. I can usually get health and beauty products pretty cheap using a coupon at Walmart. I wish that Costco had been around when my kids were in diapers I would have saved a great deal of money.

I buy meat in bulk and repackage into smaller packages, this saves me a lot of money just by not shopping as often (what you don't see you can't buy). I do buy drinks in bulk because both my husband and son pack their lunches for work and this is cheaper than the vending machines. I buy beans in bulk cause we eat a lot of beans. I buy TP, paper towels, spices like garlic powder, black pepper, chili powder, onion powder, baking supplies, cheese, granola bars,and laundry supplies in bulk. We also buy dog food in bulk cause we have 3 small dogs and this saves me a lot of money. Buying in bulk saves me time, money and my sanity cause I don't like fighting the crowds at the grocery store or at Walmart.

Riley
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 5:01 PM In reply to

I saw that ...

I do buy a fair amount in bulk .. tissues, some cereals, laundry detergent, some canned goods that we use a lot of.   Usually find better deals in paper towels and TP by buying the large packs at the grocery when there's a sale/coupon rather than hitting Costco ...

I do buy meat in large packs and divide/freeze portions.   I have in the past bought things like the industrial size can of tomato sauce and froze it in portions, but it tends to take up too much room, and most recipes call for a 14 or 15 oz can ... so it's just more convenient to buy a case of cans.

Don't need diapers (though my DN tells me it's cheaper to buy thru Amazon)... don't use bottled water. 

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 8:06 PM In reply to

My theory is WHATEVER I can buy in bulk for a cheaper rate than buying in smaller quantity - GO FOR IT. If it's going to save me money in the long run then it's worth it.

Things I generally always buy in bulk: toilet paper and paper towels.. dry beans/legumes/peas and rices whenever possible... spices and dry herbs whenever possible... frozen seafood when possible and in budget... eggs in those large value packs when the price per pack is better than any current sale... shredded and large chunk/block cheeses... organic spring greens and baby spinach salad tubs - they make multiple servings and I reuse the tubs for storage! I also buy the value packs of spring water without added minerals because I keep the pack in my back seat to hand out to people in public so bottled waters are ALWAYS bought in bulk since I'm offering them out daily.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 8:29 PM In reply to

both mom and I do the bulk only in papper and doggie treasts that way I donnot have to buy for a few months that way money goes to other bills..the ten things

klenx

papper towel

napkins

stp (super toilet papper

zip lock bags

doggie treats

a case of beans canned sorry bing

case of tomatoes

riice brown

makeup

shampoo

wheat noodles

That is it on my side sometimes I don't use napkins so when that gets stalked up months on end I don't buy that ,and thats in bulk only on this I put it in the guest bedroom closet done this for years my saving cha ching for me.

chrissanne
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 10:28 PM In reply to

Sissy, shame on you swish just shame on you... napkins do NOT hold up with all the drooling that goes on over there... I'm sorry but Mr. Clean is bringing the quilted quicker pick uppers with him next time. Big guy, big job, nothing too big for him to handle and even worse when you, Cindy and I get together... Cindy and her cookie monster attacks, you and your goo goo gaa gaaa over the Asian dishes and me craving on those Cindy soups and Swish sandwiches.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Mar 25 2012 9:16 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

From the article I buy-

Toilet paper and paper towel
    Laundry detergent
    Meat
    Storage bags
    Personal care items

Other things not listed

Staples
    Canned goods
    Baking supplies (like yeast and baking powder)
    Pasta
    Produce that can be frozen (bananas, onions, bell peppers)

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us