Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Things that make your life EASIER?

Last post Mon, Mar 26 2012 1:02 PM by johna. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 11:30 AM

Things that make your life EASIER?

We all have areas in our life where we need help/assistance. Some of us here are dealing with disabilities and health conditions that can face us with challenges and the need for extra help. What are some of the things you've found to be a blessing in areas you need extra help? Have you made any investments in things that have made life a lot easier - if so, what?

I would love to hear what's working for you! I am about to invest in a power wheel chair and really excited to cruise it this spring! I had saved up and was waiting for spring to come and am now looking to purchase a nice used on within my budget for it.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 11:44 AM In reply to

Re: Things that make your life EASIER?

Handicap help - these things have truly been a complete blessing and made things a ton easier for daily living!

Bed Geanie - inflatable bed lift - frugal and effecient, instant bed lift! I LOVE IT!

Wheel chair - for being pushed since I can't do it myself but handy for walks and outings!!! I can't wait for my power one!!!

Grip bars/handle aids - for getting in and out of tubs, cars, etc.

Can/jar opener thing - what a brilliant invention. I have 2 that actually work well too! No more fussy lids and jar caps!

Heated mattress pad, heating blanket, heating pad and electric hot water bottle...really a true blessing of warmth to those who get cold easy and have circulation problems

Compression socks - GOD SEND for anyone dealing with foot, ankle, leg edema

Wedge pillows - I keep one in the car and two in the house, never know when I might need to elevate my feet and can come in handy at appointments that require long periods of laying down like dental or medical...

Padded deluxe shower chair - I love this thing, brings a whole new meaning to showering!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 1:23 PM In reply to

I don't need the medical help yet, thank the good L'rd. When I can't open jars I am lucky enough to have 2 strong guys who will do it for me. If they aren't home then I guess I don't need it that bad, LOL. I would say that my pressure cooker has been by biggest help so far. I can get dinner on the table in less time on the days when I just feel like crap but everyone needs to eat. I also have the electric blanket to keep my joints warm during the cold winter months so I can move easier and be in less pain. I have a very nice hand held massager for my muscles and joints that also has a heat setting that works wonders.
    Riley
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 2:28 PM In reply to

Riley, which massager are you using? I am big on those things and always on the hunt for one that actually works well! Pressure cooker... how on earth could I forget to post my lovely crock pot!? Oh it's mad at me now lol!
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 3:29 PM In reply to

BB,

It is made by Revlon model RVS 1600. It pivots, has a bunch of different massage heads and also has infared heat. We love it. My daughter uses it alot because of her job and I have to fight her to get it back.

Riley
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 4:04 PM In reply to

Thanks, I will google it later when I return! Ps. Sounds like how my Mom and I fight over the KONG foot massager LOL
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 8:51 PM In reply to

I might be the nest in line to nab it...

My life that makes it easier my crock pot turn it on and forget for a few hours and my microwave those are the best things in life for me besides my hair dryer croaked and there Im going to get one tonight if it were not for that I donnot want to look like a hedge hog going to bed with curlers in the hair and scare the crap out of bf and my critters.

chrissanne
  • Sun, Mar 25 2012 3:52 AM In reply to

My electric lift recliner. So very needed when I couldn't stand on my own; still a lifesaver since I don't have enough strength in right are to work a regular recliner lever and must be able to put my feet up.

My crock pot is so wonderful since it has 3 different sized inserts so I can use it or a big roast or just 2 pieces of chicken.

The coat hook I had DH put on the back door.  Since i is twi steps up into my house rom the launndry room, I couldn't bring in hanging clothes,  Now I just put them on the hook,, get inside without fear of falling and take them off the hook to put in closets.  $1.29 for this was money very well spent!

re-tired

• Sun, Mar 25 2012 4:51 AM In reply to

For the love of our crock pots and Riley's pressure cooker... Crock is my best friend here!

• Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:41 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

bread machine - I enjoy making bread but MS doesnt like me kneading bread so I mix it up in the bread machine then bake it  ( it the hot summer I bake in the machine ) 

dehydrator-  in a few hours I can dry food and preserve meat and vegetables

my ricers I have to large ones it makes the best rice

my cannering area  special cabinets low for my wheel chair and DH makes i easy  I am blesed with family help

my shower chair and the hand held head is amazing I can take my take my time .. on a side note I can gentley bath the babies and they are so happy  then my Dil gets or niece get the baby ( if it a really bad day Em will help me shower she is such a sweetie ..) also we have a walk in shower that is handy lots of hand hold .

my wheelchair can bring me to a full standing position  I dont like but it works

and my life chair helps and is great fun for the kids ..

we knew for years that my MS would get worse so when we redid the kitchen and my bath we went ahead and made the changes .. my  van is handy equiped ..  I dont alway have to use the lift

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us